PhD after online MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cls2013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious if anyone had any advice about the feasibility of pursuing a PhD in epidemiology after getting an online MPH with a concentration in epidemiology.

I got a job straight after undergrad and my work deals with community-based/in-home care, Medicaid programs, and people with disabilities. I have recently started my MPH online while working full-time, but the more I get into it, the more I am beginning to think that I would really like to pursue a PhD.

Since much of my work is in a very rural area with an older population, I have become very intrigued with the epidemiology of aging and the health of under-served areas and would be interested in researching those topics.

By the time I would be ready to start a PhD program I will have over three years of work experience. My question is if I combine that with a good GPA and GRE scores, will that make me competitive enough to apply for PhD programs or would it be better to look into getting more research experience first?

Members don't see this ad.