PhD DVM Duel Degree Program Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kmeid

VMRCVM c/o 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I'm kinda in the deer in the headlights phase of my application right now. I took quiet a few classes last summer to *get ahead* and help myself take a lighter load this year. I ended up getting a little carried away and can now graduate a year early. This has been a blessing but is also terrifying because now instead of casually applying to Vet school this year to see if I can get in and have a basis to improve my application, I actually need to figure out what I'm going to do with the next year/years of my life.

I go to VT and desperately want to attend Vet School here as well (it's my IS since I'm from MD). They have a really exciting Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences graduate program here that is directly affiliated with the Vet School. I got offered full funding to do my Master's and have a great ovarian cancer research lab to work in. It's a sweet deal too because I can easily flip it up to a PhD if I'd like to.

In order to apply for the PhD DVM duel degree and get the funding and stipend I have to "check the box" on my application which basically binds me to the program if I get accepted otherwise I can't go to Vet school here if I decide against the PhD. I want to go into regulatory medicine or Teaching (I'd LOVE to be a Vet School Prof). Both of which seem to lend themselves to needing a PhD DVM combo. Seems like an easy choice but I'm slightly terrified to commit myself at 20yo to 7 more years of school. Any advice/ is anyone in a dual program right now?

I do want to have a family and start a life at some point and I'm nervous about not getting out of school until I'm almost 28.

Members don't see this ad.

Oops, other important details :)

Doing my Master's and then DVM is great but I don't get a stipend and I'm not sure if a Masters is enough to pursue the careers i'm interested in.

I can start in Master's and flip to a PhD then apply and try to add the DVM the only problem with this is that I won't be able to get the extra funding or stipend. I'd get a little more flexibility with this situation too.

The Duel DVM PhD is a 7 year commitment (assuming I even get into it) But they fully fund your PhD and you get a $19,000 stipend a year for the 3 years you are working on your PhD. Which in my case would help cover most of the Vet School expenses.

Hmmmm.

My biggest question for you: have you had extensive research experience?

Expectations for research are usually dramatically different than the reality. I recommend making sure you know how you feel about it!

Also, I hope you're applying for a dual degree program. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would add (as a dual degree applicant to several places) that these programs are generally an extra degree of selective and will definitely evaluate your aptitude for research, teaching etc before admitting you. If you have prior research experience (publications are even better) and strong academic background (GRE, GPA) I'd say check the box and go for it. I made the jump already.

My biggest question for you: have you had extensive research experience?

Expectations for research are usually dramatically different than the reality. I recommend making sure you know how you feel about it!

Also, I hope you're applying for a dual degree program. ;)

I would add (as a dual degree applicant to several places) that these programs are generally an extra degree of selective and will definitely evaluate your aptitude for research, teaching etc before admitting you. If you have prior research experience (publications are even better) and strong academic background (GRE, GPA) I'd say check the box and go for it. I made the jump already.

I apologize for my horrible spelling! Terribly embarrassing to spell your topic heading incorrectly.

I do have fairly significant research experience. I interned for a faculty member at the Community College of Baltimore County performing statistical analyses of the effectiveness of health-teaching programs (I got a "sort of" publication from this position, I wrote the majority of the grant summary for the Professor, my name was on the document but I don't believe she ever actually got the research published). I also worked on an equine digestibility study this summer at VMRCVM for a PhD DVM and absolutely LOVED it. Right now I'm working on the ovarian cancer research and have been on this study since June. I enjoy this research as well and will be listed on the publication as soon as they are finished with the study.

It's just a bit of a daunting decision. I'm praying for the best!