PhD in Public Health/Epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mezmerized7

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

(Please let me know if a similar thread was posted before.)

Anyone out there applying to PhD programs in the public health field, especially in Epidemiology?

Where are you applying?

What are you planning to do after your PhD studies?

Just trying to get a "feel" of what others are thinking of.

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody helping me out here :(...

Anyone...:(

I'm not in the same boat as you (I'm currently a 2nd year PhD student), but I'll share my experiences with you since nobody else is doing the same thing.

-I applied to a variety of epi programs back in 2008

-I applied pretty much everywhere that wasn't hot climate-wise: after my acceptances, I was seriously considering between three places--Yale (where I ended up), Arizona, and Illinois-Chicago

-I'm planning on being a researcher in some capacity--I'd love to be a PI, but you need to be really good for that (there's really little other point in doing a PhD if that's not what you're interested in)

-Advice: Apply liberally. Don't go to a school unless you're guaranteed funding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Stories and I appreciate the advice. I notice some schools are like "We do not guarantee funding to our students" and some are like "Once you are accepted, you will be funded". I am somewhat scared to even apply to those schools that are telling me that I am basically on my own...

Also Stories, how is the Yale PhD program treating you?

Thanks Stories and I appreciate the advice. I notice some schools are like "We do not guarantee funding to our students" and some are like "Once you are accepted, you will be funded". I am somewhat scared to even apply to those schools that are telling me that I am basically on my own...

There's no reason to go to these schools if they don't offer you guaranteed funding because almost all other schools do. Don't go unless you get a solid offer in writing (paper mail or email is fine). It's still worth trying these schools if there's someone you're interested in working with, but if a faculty member really wants you there, they'll make every effort to make you come (funding offers, phone calls, flying you out for visits, etc.).

Schools will recruit you. Once you put your apps in, a school that truly wants you will make the effort known.

Also Stories, how is the Yale PhD program treating you?

I couldn't ask for a better program (that fits my needs). However, Yale is small. It doesn't offer a good fit for everyone. There are currently 37 total PhD students here across all disciplines and all years. We get pretty darn good individual attention and plenty of opportunities to work/publish before we even begin our own projects/dissertations (I've published 1 first author paper, and have co-authored 3 others in the year+ I've been here).

Basically, research all programs in cities that you'd be okay living in thoroughly. Good fit = acceptance. Bad fit = rejection (regardless of how awesome your GPA, GRE, recommendations, or SoP might be).

Also, this post here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=767416 might be useful to see numbers like: average years to graduation, percentage of graduating students, size of departments, faculty #'s, funding %, student resources, etc. It's applicable to doctoral programs-only, so there's no MPH overlap here.

Last edited:
Yale sounds great. I like small programs. And that's crazy to have 4 papers in a year!!!!

In your opinion, what is the Yale PhD program looking for?

I also read on some thread on here that Yale is not considered a strong PH program. Have you found this to be true?

When did you start hearing back from schools?

Sorry for the questions...but hope to hear from you soon :D

Yale sounds great. I like small programs. And that's crazy to have 4 papers in a year!!!!

In your opinion, what is the Yale PhD program looking for?

Exactly the same thing every other PhD program looks for: clear research goals, good fit with faculty interests, and outstanding academic record (GPA, GRE, recommendations). These three items won't change regardless of where you apply/go.

I also read on some thread on here that Yale is not considered a strong PH program. Have you found this to be true?

It has definite holes in the program due to size, but you'll never fight for research/work opportunities, and you're definitely taken care of. Having gone to BU for my MPH, I have a good idea of how PH programs differ, but in the end, they're pretty much the same, I feel. It's what you make of it.

According to that thread I pointed out, the NRC rates Yale's doctoral program very highly. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the NRC system. I haven't really cared about rankings, but it's always nice to hear when an outside source believes your program is pretty good (NRC does *not* consider MPH or MS degrees in the rating).

Remember, the MPH and PhD programs are not heavily related to one another. While the MPH kids may suffer from Yale's focus on research methods, we PhD students benefit greatly from it. I think that was always the biggest gripe about Yale--too much research methods focus.

When did you start hearing back from schools?

My first acceptance (and rejection) was in January. My last acceptance was in May.

For your personal statement, did you talk about in some detail what you were planning to do for your dissertation? I know that it's possible that these plans might change. I was just planning to mention my research interests, but have heard it's good to go in depth on what I would like to do, perhaps, for my dissertation. Your thoughts?

For your personal statement, did you talk about in some detail what you were planning to do for your dissertation? I know that it's possible that these plans might change. I was just planning to mention my research interests, but have heard it's good to go in depth on what I would like to do, perhaps, for my dissertation. Your thoughts?

Research interests is crucial. You can be specific, but not too specific. Be a bit more general because you can't lock yourself into one type of dissertation. Something along the lines of: to assess the effect of PBDE on cancer risk or assessing lung cancer risk in an occupational exposed group or genes that affect risk of asthma incidence.

Stories, you are a life saver! I will definitely let you know how my applications turn out. :)

I do not think it should be safe to assume that I am the only one applying to PhD programs in public health/epi in this forum...:oops:

Anyone...:oops:

Mezmerized... I'm actually in the midst of applying to PhD programs as well, however, my concentration is more in health behavior research/preventive medicine, not really an epi man here. The best thing I've done so far is contact programs and speak with possible advisors to see how well our research interests are similar.

In regards to number of schools I am applying to, I am currently applying to eight programs.

SMUrandy

Members don't see this ad :)
Mezmerized... I'm actually in the midst of applying to PhD programs as well, however, my concentration is more in health behavior research/preventive medicine, not really an epi man here. The best thing I've done so far is contact programs and speak with possible advisors to see how well our research interests are similar.

In regards to number of schools I am applying to, I am currently applying to eight programs.

SMUrandy

Which programs are you applying to? I won't be applying until Fall 2013 but I'm trying to see what is available in terms of disease prevention PhD/DrPH programs so that I know how to prepare for them. Please message me if you don't feel comfortable posting. Thanks!

Thanks for your reply SMU,

Could you post the schools that you are applying to so others can see as well, that is if your comfortable doing so...?

Thanks for your reply SMU,

Could you post the schools that you are applying to so others can see as well, that is if your comfortable doing so...?

I'm applying to USC, UCLA, NYU, Columbia, Hopkins, Indiana, Michigan, and MCW. I'm sure there are MANY more programs that would be great as well, however, I focused my search based on faculty that I am familiar with, has a program that addresses the psychosocial correlates of sexual risk behavior, and has faculty that utilize mixed methodologies in their research.

I'm a 1st year epi PhD student. Unlike Stories, I did not apply broadly. I applied to one school because I was unwilling to move (I have a child in elementary school) and knew it would be a good fit (I already had a faculty member who agreed to be my advisor). I've done all of my degrees at the same school, including my MPH. If you aren't a good fit with the faculty at a given school, you're unlikely to be accepted, so it makes sense to know what you'd be interested in doing and have a strong research statement. I agree that funding is important and you should not go somewhere that doesn't value you enough to provide it. Two of my cohort members turned down Harvard because they were unwilling to provide details about funding prior to them accepting the acceptance (among other reasons...).

I plan to do research when I'm done. There are DrPH programs for people who want to be more on the applied side, though DrPHs often do research, as well.

Thanks for sharing SMU and all the best with your applications!:)

I'm applying to USC, UCLA, NYU, Columbia, Hopkins, Indiana, Michigan, and MCW. I'm sure there are MANY more programs that would be great as well, however, I focused my search based on faculty that I am familiar with, has a program that addresses the psychosocial correlates of sexual risk behavior, and has faculty that utilize mixed methodologies in their research.

Thanks for sharing erika! Yes, I have heard that Harvard is stingy when it comes to funding and I have known very capable people to turn down offers because they would not guarantee funding.

I'm a 1st year epi PhD student. Unlike Stories, I did not apply broadly. I applied to one school because I was unwilling to move (I have a child in elementary school) and knew it would be a good fit (I already had a faculty member who agreed to be my advisor). I've done all of my degrees at the same school, including my MPH. If you aren't a good fit with the faculty at a given school, you're unlikely to be accepted, so it makes sense to know what you'd be interested in doing and have a strong research statement. I agree that funding is important and you should not go somewhere that doesn't value you enough to provide it. Two of my cohort members turned down Harvard because they were unwilling to provide details about funding prior to them accepting the acceptance (among other reasons...).

I plan to do research when I'm done. There are DrPH programs for people who want to be more on the applied side, though DrPHs often do research, as well.

Hi all,
Great thread - but please forgive my ignorance as Im unfamiliar with the applications process to PhD/DrPH. My background is MD, with clinical research, and am applying to MPH/preventive medicine residency (which basically pays you a resident's salary while you do an MPH, as part of residency) this season.

What is the application process system for PhD or DrPH - is it SOPHAS? I dont think its ERAS as thats for residencies/fellowships. Or are these 'direct' applications?

Hi all,
Great thread - but please forgive my ignorance as Im unfamiliar with the applications process to PhD/DrPH. My background is MD, with clinical research, and am applying to MPH/preventive medicine residency (which basically pays you a resident's salary while you do an MPH, as part of residency) this season.

What is the application process system for PhD or DrPH - is it SOPHAS? I dont think its ERAS as thats for residencies/fellowships. Or are these 'direct' applications?
Some of the applications are directed through SOPHAS,while some are through schools,and some are through both...it is annoying stuff to deal with...it'd be better to check the school's website to pin down the details

hey folks here.
Anyone could provide me with some suggestions on how to format the structure of the SOP specific to epi phd application?
Generally it should be devidede into focus,fit and future...I am just wondering how detailed each part should be and what specific stuff should I mention in each....

I appreciate your help!!:)

hey folks here.
Anyone could provide me with some suggestions on how to format the structure of the SOP specific to epi phd application?
Generally it should be devidede into focus,fit and future...I am just wondering how detailed each part should be and what specific stuff should I mention in each....

I appreciate your help!!:)

Most schools require 2 parts: a research statement and a personal statement. The research statement should talk about a specific area of research you're interested in, a possible study you'd like to conduct, methods, etc. The personal statement should include information regarding your path to the PhD, why you want to do it, what you want to get out of it, and what you want to do when you finish. If you're in an MPH program now, speak with your advisor about it or speak with people in admissions at the schools you'd like to apply to for the PhD (each school probably has different requirements).

Most schools require 2 parts: a research statement and a personal statement. The research statement should talk about a specific area of research you're interested in, a possible study you'd like to conduct, methods, etc. The personal statement should include information regarding your path to the PhD, why you want to do it, what you want to get out of it, and what you want to do when you finish. If you're in an MPH program now, speak with your advisor about it or speak with people in admissions at the schools you'd like to apply to for the PhD (each school probably has different requirements).

Thanks for the suggestion...I checked the the SoP requirement of the schools I am applying for,basically they require just one comprehensive SoP addressing your qualification ,your focus and your career/research interest etc....I am currently tweaking my SoP.I am wondering if you could read my SoP and provide me with some criqitues?:p Thanks:)

Thanks for the suggestion...I checked the the SoP requirement of the schools I am applying for,basically they require just one comprehensive SoP addressing your qualification ,your focus and your career/research interest etc....I am currently tweaking my SoP.I am wondering if you could read my SoP and provide me with some criqitues?:p Thanks:)

Sorry, but I don't have the time for that. You should speak with your advisor for help if you need it, but no one should really be guiding you on the personal statement since it's personal. :)

Sorry, but I don't have the time for that. You should speak with your advisor for help if you need it, but no one should really be guiding you on the personal statement since it's personal. :)

No problem...:)

I'm applying to various PhD Public Health programs this year...they aren't Epi programs, but figured I'd share anyways.

1) Brown - Epidemiology PhD (I really want to work at the CAAS)
2) Emory - Behavioral Services and Health Education PhD
3) UConn - Social and Behavioral Health Sciences PhD
4) Columbia - Sociomedical Sciences PhD
5) JHSPH - Mental Health PhD

I'm also applying to 3 Clinical Psych programs and 2 Social Welfare PhD programs.

We'll see!

I'm applying to various PhD Public Health programs this year...they aren't Epi programs, but figured I'd share anyways.

1) Brown - Epidemiology PhD (I really want to work at the CAAS)
2) Emory - Behavioral Services and Health Education PhD
3) UConn - Social and Behavioral Health Sciences PhD
4) Columbia - Sociomedical Sciences PhD
5) JHSPH - Mental Health PhD

I'm also applying to 3 Clinical Psych programs and 2 Social Welfare PhD programs.

We'll see!

Blondie, best of luck to you! Do you currently hold a MA in Psych or an MPH?

Stories,
I've been on this forum before but I'm finally an applicant this year to 2-year programs. Some people have advised me to go PhD due to my high level of interest in research but I'm not convinced it would work out for me. Are you worried about jobs for after your graduate? And, I hope you're not paying for your degree?
Alice

Stories,
I've been on this forum before but I'm finally an applicant this year to 2-year programs. Some people have advised me to go PhD due to my high level of interest in research but I'm not convinced it would work out for me. Are you worried about jobs for after your graduate? And, I hope you're not paying for your degree?
Alice

Don't let others tell you what you need to do. If you're not absolutely certain a PhD is necessary for what your career objectives are (and being interested in research certainly doesn't sound like you're fully vested in research), don't do one. Keep in mind, many schools require a master's before even applying, and at many schools, you may not even be competitive. The main idea behind having a masters before going for a doctorate in epidemiology is because most people have no idea what kinds of hypotheses and methods are used in epidemiology without one.

Am I worried about a job after graduating? Sure, who isn't? I'm not that worried, though, because we have a good rate of job placement, and I'm on a fellowship which provides a fairly easy transition into a post-doc. I know I'm not necessarily the most common situation, though.

I don't pay to go to school, nor do any of my classmates. All Yale doctoral students are provided full funding. You should never consider a program where you'd have to pay. I don't care what kind of justifications someone can come up with (the most common one is probably, "but it's Harvard!"), the fact of the matter is, there are a lot of uncertainties in doctoral-level work, don't make debt/money one of them.

So true Stories, there are so many uncertainties in doing a PhD...I am just hoping to get funded somewhere :confused:

Don't let others tell you what you need to do. If you're not absolutely certain a PhD is necessary for what your career objectives are (and being interested in research certainly doesn't sound like you're fully vested in research), don't do one. Keep in mind, many schools require a master's before even applying, and at many schools, you may not even be competitive. The main idea behind having a masters before going for a doctorate in epidemiology is because most people have no idea what kinds of hypotheses and methods are used in epidemiology without one.

Am I worried about a job after graduating? Sure, who isn't? I'm not that worried, though, because we have a good rate of job placement, and I'm on a fellowship which provides a fairly easy transition into a post-doc. I know I'm not necessarily the most common situation, though.

I don't pay to go to school, nor do any of my classmates. All Yale doctoral students are provided full funding. You should never consider a program where you'd have to pay. I don't care what kind of justifications someone can come up with (the most common one is probably, "but it's Harvard!"), the fact of the matter is, there are a lot of uncertainties in doctoral-level work, don't make debt/money one of them.

Hey everyone,

I am just joining this thread but thank you to everyone for posting their status. I have applied to Public Health PhD programs in Behavioral Science and Health Education at Emory and Health Behavior and Health Education at the University of Michigan.

I also applied to PhD in Social work at University Washington, University of Chicago, Michigan, Columbia and WashU in St. Louis.

So far I have heard back from Emory. I got an email inviting me for an interview on Jan 9th that will be taking place this week (wish me luck!)

Has anyone heard anything from HBHE at Michigan? Please let me know and good luck to everyone in this stressful time!

I will be applying for Fall 2012 or 2013, and I was wondering what you thought about someone applying for a PhD in public health straight out of the MPH?

The schools I am looking to apply to in order of preference:

1. Temple (PhD in Social & Behavioral Health Sciences)
2. UMDNJ (DrPh/PhD in Health Education & Behavioral Science) current student and employee)
3. Drexel (DrPH in Community Health Prevention)

I am somewhat restricted geographically because my fiance will be in law school in either Philadelphia or Newark, NJ. I have been accepted into the MBA program in Health Care Management at Rutgers Business School that I could do instead of the PhD. I would really like to live in Philly and study cancer prevention, which UMDNJ and Drexel don't currently have faculty for so I would have to find my own...

UGPA: 3.066 (first 4 years spent in PharmD program...hated it...switched to public health - major GPA 3.676)
MPH GPA: 3.812 - double concentration - health ed and health systems & policy (working and studying full-time)
GRE: 750Q, 560V, 4.0AW
Obtained CHES October 2010

Thoughts? Any advice is appreciated!

Hi everyone,

GPA: 3.5
GRE- V460, Q720, W3.0

I am an international student at Case, I applied for 2011 fall and so far I only got into Stony Brook and I got rejected from BU, Harvard and NYU.
I was thinking that the universities would consider the fact tham I am an internatinal student and they wouldn't care about my GRE verbal and analytical writing and I guess I was wrong.

I am also waiting to hear from UCLA, Drexel, Florida International, and OSU

Could you please give me an advise what are the "EXCELLENT" things to have in CV? like type of work? or what is good GRE score? and any other helpful hints that I whould consider?

Many thanks and good luck to everyone! :)
Khako

Hey Snowbank,

I am interested to your pathway " Residency and MPH" though I am an international medical graduate. Can you give me some advice to apply your program in US? Where can you work after your MPH residency? I have been accepted by Emory MPH. But I want to do residency at the same time or after.

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I am new to SDN and I was wondering if anyone could tell me their stats for getting into PhD programs for Social Behavior-Public Health?

I have a ugrad GPA of 3.0 and just took my GRE's and got about 1200. I plan on taking it again, but is it necessary? I want to apply for Fall 2012.

I am also working as a clinical researcher and will have 2 yrs of work experience plus many internships.

Any help would be reassuring!!

Thanks,
Bos

Hello Xako,

Well some schools take GRE scores into consideration more than others and in most cases, if not all, they will review your application as they would review it for non-international students. Did you hear back from other schools?

Hi everyone,

GRE- V460, Q720, W3.0

I am an international student at Case, I applied for 2011 fall and so far I only got into Stony Brook and I got rejected from BU, Harvard and NYU.
I was thinking that the universities would consider the fact tham I am an internatinal student and they wouldn't care about my GRE verbal and analytical writing and I guess I was wrong.

Could you please give me an advise what are the "EXCELLENT" things to have in CV? like type of work? or what is good GRE score? and any other helpful hints that I whould consider?

Khako

Well as I said in my previous post, some schools look more into GRE scores than others. I don't want to say it's necessary to take them again but I know a higher score won't hurt either. Also, you must recognize the areas of your application that might not be as strong and then try to improve that which you can before applying. Remember the application will (or should) give a holistic picture of you as a person and as an applicant. Also, ensure to have a strong personal statement. And you seem to have alot of experience under your belt!

Good luck!

Hello everyone,

I am new to SDN and I was wondering if anyone could tell me their stats for getting into PhD programs for Social Behavior-Public Health?

I have a ugrad GPA of 3.0 and just took my GRE's and got about 1200. I plan on taking it again, but is it necessary? I want to apply for Fall 2012.

I am also working as a clinical researcher and will have 2 yrs of work experience plus many internships.

Thanks,
Bos

Hi everyone,

GRE- V460, Q720, W3.0

Khako

A better GRE score will certainly help. Are you applying without a master's degree? Having one helps exponentially. Any solid research experience will certainly help.

Hello everyone,

Thanks,
Bos

It's tough to say--the GPA isn't going to stand out, your GRE isn't either, and the SB track tends to be fairly competitive (social behavioral undergrad majors tend to have higher average GPAs than say... a biology or chemistry major). Are you applying without a prior master's? This will make it a bit harder to get in.

A good connection with your current employer would definitely help your case. Also, having a very clear and well defined research goals in your SoP will probably be what helps you the most.

I would guess that the most competitive schools are out of reach, but others which may not get as many applicants per year could be fair game.

Hey Everyone,

Wanted to get your input. What do you think of a PhD in Public Health (Social and Behavioral Sciences) versus a PhD in Epidemiology? Pros and cons of each? Which one would be better if you have the same level of research interest in each discipline? What would be better in the long run? Thoughts...?

Hey Everyone,

Wanted to get your input. What do you think of a PhD in Public Health (Social and Behavioral Sciences) versus a PhD in Epidemiology? Pros and cons of each? Which one would be better if you have the same level of research interest in each discipline? What would be better in the long run? Thoughts...?

You need to get the degree that allows you to do the work you'd be good at doing. My guess would be if you were getting an Epi degree, you'd probably be doing a Social Epi project, so your work could really be put into either category (epi or SBS). If it's more interventions you're interested in, SBS probably make more sense. However, the bottom line is that just do what makes the most sense for your interests. The title of the degree won't matter because it's your body of work that speaks.

Also, I'm not so sure that the two are as distinct as you think they are. There's the whole social epi track which is also a branch of SBS. Plenty of people do that sort of work.

The only thing that I could think of as being a pro for the more biology-based or clinical-based epi is that you'd have probably a couple more broad work options such as industrial or pharma settings rather than being tied to academic or health departments.

Thanks Stories. I really appreciate your input.

You need to get the degree that allows you to do the work you'd be good at doing. My guess would be if you were getting an Epi degree, you'd probably be doing a Social Epi project, so your work could really be put into either category (epi or SBS). If it's more interventions you're interested in, SBS probably make more sense. However, the bottom line is that just do what makes the most sense for your interests. The title of the degree won't matter because it's your body of work that speaks.

Also, I'm not so sure that the two are as distinct as you think they are. There's the whole social epi track which is also a branch of SBS. Plenty of people do that sort of work.

The only thing that I could think of as being a pro for the more biology-based or clinical-based epi is that you'd have probably a couple more broad work options such as industrial or pharma settings rather than being tied to academic or health departments.

Hi everyone,
I'm a medical doctor/pub health specialist (MBBS MPH: both from India - both very well reputed schools) and am thinking of a phd in public health/related disciplines in Philadelphia in 2012 fall (spring if i'm lucky next year). Have a lapsed gre score so shall have to give it soon. Am thinking of august-september.

I've worked for a couple of years in India and done an NIH fellowship in S Africa for a year. I have the necessary visa clearances to work and to study, and I want to ideally do stuff like what *Stories mentioned "SBS interventions with sound epi base", preferably with a global focus: sexual reproductive health, health systems research, health policy, climate change.

I'd like to know what the good options in Philadelphia might be (and only if not, then in NYC or baltimore maybe?)
I'd like to know what the stipend/monthly income from all current sources will be like, realistically, once you start the phd. Also, how long could it take? 4-5 years? more on the side of 5?
Does anyone know of good faculties that I can meet and follow up with? Public health in Philly seems really fragmented and multi-disciplinary, which I hope I can leverage as a strength.

Thank you all for reading this far,
Nkosinathi

rather than being tied to academic or health departments.

How many were applying with you to yale and what were your strengths? are you MD as well?

I'm not in the same boat as you (I'm currently a 2nd year PhD student), but I'll share my experiences with you since nobody else is doing the same thing.

-I applied to a variety of epi programs back in 2008

-I applied pretty much everywhere that wasn't hot climate-wise: after my acceptances, I was seriously considering between three places--Yale (where I ended up), Arizona, and Illinois-Chicago

-I'm planning on being a researcher in some capacity--I'd love to be a PI, but you need to be really good for that (there's really little other point in doing a PhD if that's not what you're interested in)

-Advice: Apply liberally. Don't go to a school unless you're guaranteed funding.

Another thing, when did you hear from Yale and what was the interview about?

How many were applying with you to yale and what were your strengths? are you MD as well?

Another thing, when did you hear from Yale and what was the interview about?

I think the application field was around 250-300. Around 20-25 were invited for interview.

Strengths? I had an extensive research background (4+ years) and a solid all around academic profile (3.8+ GPA, 80th+ percentile GRE). I'm not a MD. Just MPH + PhD. I heard about the interview at the end of January. It was a phone call.

I think the application field was around 250-300. Around 20-25 were invited for interview.

Strengths? I had an extensive research background (4+ years) and a solid all around academic profile (3.8+ GPA, 80th+ percentile GRE). I'm not a MD. Just MPH + PhD. I heard about the interview at the end of January. It was a phone call.

Hey Stories-- it looks like you are at NIH-- I am too as a post bacc! I have a question about concentration. I have a very strong interest in health policy, but all of my research is translational medicine or basic science. I have a public health minor from college, was the president of a public health org, and have volunteered a ton in outreach programs, and lobbied senators for public health aide, but this issue is my lack of policy research.

My research includes cell cycle research, infecious disease epi, RNA editting and currently stem cell research. I (obviously) have really really strong quantitative skills. But will it look bizarre on an application to apply to a program you are really interested in, while currently employed in another field?

thanks so much!!

Hey Stories-- it looks like you are at NIH-- I am too as a post bacc! I have a question about concentration. I have a very strong interest in health policy, but all of my research is translational medicine or basic science. I have a public health minor from college, was the president of a public health org, and have volunteered a ton in outreach programs, and lobbied senators for public health aide, but this issue is my lack of policy research.

My research includes cell cycle research, infecious disease epi, RNA editting and currently stem cell research. I (obviously) have really really strong quantitative skills. But will it look bizarre on an application to apply to a program you are really interested in, while currently employed in another field?

thanks so much!!

NIH, indeed. :laugh: Though as a post-doc versus post-doc, I'm sure we're quite a bit different in age. :cool:

You know, I have no idea, really. If anything, you've got a lot of interests and shown strong skills, so I think you'd be a great candidate for grad school! Sorry that's not more helpful!