PhD other than clinical and counseling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExploringOptions

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, but I’ve been through this resource several times. It’s mainly clinical programs or those with JD components, neither of which interest me. I don’t want clinical at all. That’s why it’s tricky to find. There are a few, but it’s harder to hunt down programs that have researchers doing what I like that when they aren’t explicitly one of these programs. They are out there and I’ve found some, but hoping for a bit more guidance.

Without knowing what your specific interests are...check out UC Irvine - they have a Psych Science PhD program focused on law. Vanderbilt has a Neuroscience PhD that seems to have some law options. I also believe ASU, Cornell, and the University of Nebraska, Lincoln has faculty in their psych departments with interests in law.

If you are interested in jury processes, you may be able to find a match with someone who is studying decision making in a cognition and/or affective science dept.

Reactions: 1 user
Depending on what your goal is within forensics, it may be wise to consider clinical/counseling and boarding. Honestly, it's hard to offer you any sort of career guidance because it's not clear what your goal is.

What do you want to do?

Sounds like a social psych program would be a good fit for you. Check out UICs program, they have a psych and law lab.

You have numerous options.

1. You can try to find the unicorn, a faculty that does exactly what you want in the program, university, and geographic area you most desire.
2. Find a faculty doing something close to what you are interested in but not applied to law. Your doctoral work could concentrate on generalizing your advisors work to law. This seems a perfect match for social or cognitive research.
3. Find a program where you may be able to work with clinical faculty but be enrolled in a different program. It is not uncommon to work with numerous faculty while in graduate training. For example, my dissertation was looking at a social psych phenomenon in a clinical setting. My committee had a social faculty on it. You can definitely have the reverse.

I'll add that this forum should have pretty decent insight into academic psychology across the disciplines, not just clinical/counseling.

Reactions: 1 users
Are there any conferences/journals that focus on psych and law? You could check out the faculty in the program.