Other OT-Related Information PhD programs for OTs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maddaddam

O-T-R? I don't even know 'er!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a new grad who actually likes research. I'm aware of how weird this is, but I think it's pretty important for the progression of our field. I've been involved in a number of projects of presentations during my time in school, and I can envision a future in an academic career.

Naturally, professors and family members have suggested I get a PhD -- frankly, I don't know if that makes any sense to do. Here are some reasons why.
(a) As awesome as it is that OT can be interdisciplinary, I get confused as to which PhD program I would even apply to -- Rehab Science, Social Work, Educational Leadership, Educational Psychology, Public Health, and even Occupational Therapy PhD programs are all possibilities of things that could make sense, and there are probably more.
(b) Funding opportunities are soooooo not guaranteed for most of these programs. There's funding in biomechanical/movement sciences, but I'm interested in mental health/cognitive sciences. I'm in $100k+ debt from my undergraduate and graduate degrees, so funding packages are important to me.
(c) A lot of my professors had masters degrees, so I'm not sure how useful a PhD would be at this point. Wouldn't I be able to assist with research if I was an associate professor with a MS?

Anyone else out there contemplating PhDs? Have any insight? Is there a better forum for me to post this in?

Note: I am not interested in the OTD at this time. That's just a different sort of degree altogether.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I noticed that you attended UW-Milwaukee for your MSOT, correct? I am hoping to attend there as well. I am interested in pursuing a PhD in Health Sciences with a focus on occupational sciences and disorders at some point after I finish OT school. I like UW-Milwaukee's PhD program in particular because they use some of the credits received in OT school towards the PhD degree, meaning I would get out of school earlier. With the PhD I would hope to do research in OT/teach OT at a college/university, while still being able to practice clinically at some point with my master's.

Have you looked at Milwaukee's PhD program? I'm interested to hear if/what you've heard about it. It also sounds like Milwaukee's program often provides their students with full funding.

I noticed that you attended UW-Milwaukee for your MSOT, correct? I am hoping to attend there as well. I am interested in pursuing a PhD in Health Sciences with a focus on occupational sciences and disorders at some point after I finish OT school. I like UW-Milwaukee's PhD program in particular because they use some of the credits received in OT school towards the PhD degree, meaning I would get out of school earlier. With the PhD I would hope to do research in OT/teach OT at a college/university, while still being able to practice clinically at some point with my master's.

Have you looked at Milwaukee's PhD program? I'm interested to hear if/what you've heard about it. It also sounds like Milwaukee's program often provides their students with full funding.

Yes, it's my alma mater and I am seriously considering that program. Funding is competitive, but credit transfer and in-state tuition mean that MIGHT not be the end of the world. I'm currently weighing the pros/cons of going for it vs. shopping around and seeing what's out there. PM me for any questions about UWM.

Reactions: 1 user