Phorcas Formatting Issue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ch33z-its

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it possible that the formatting of my CV and my letter of intent could have been changed when my application was officially submitted? I swear when I uploaded it and reopened the uploads (before officially submitting) they looked exactly as they should. I saw a program pull out a copy of my CV during an interview and realized it looked a complete mess. I just checked online and it actually is all messed up on Phorcas. Has anyone heard of this happening? I uploaded a word document from a mac. Could formatting affect whether you get an interview or not? Will this be fixable in Phorcas for the second round?
 
Last edited:
Is it possible that the formatting of my CV and my letter of intent could have been changed when my application was officially submitted? I swear when I uploaded it and reopened the uploads (before officially submitting) they looked exactly as they should. I saw a program pull out a copy of my CV during an interview and realized it looked a complete mess. I just checked online and it actually is all messed up on Phorcas. Has anyone heard of this happening (I uploaded a word document from a mac.. should have went with the PDF)? Could formatting affect whether you get an interview or not? Will this be fixable in Phorcas for the second round?
We had a few that had formatting issues that I do believe were related to being uploaded as PDFs. One was completely unreadable. Truthfully, I didn't review that application but I do think it impacted their total application score.
 
^ Really? That's strange. It's usually recommended that you upload it as a PDF because all the formatting options are removed. PDF is pretty much like a print. And from everywhere I've seen, a PDF looks the same on any program (can't say the same about Word which varies on wordpad/2000/03/05/07 etc.)
 
I noticed the same thing when I uploaded in a Word document. Screwed up all my formatting once they converted it to a .pdf. Ended up uploading in .pdf format and it seemed to work fine.