Physic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asian Girl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time with physic now. How much physic do we use in pharmacy school ?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a hard time with physic now. How much physic do we use in pharmacy school ?

OK.... "physic" is an old term that used to mean health (think physiology). "Physics" is the study of the physical properties of matter and the fundamental laws of the universe. Which one are you struggling with? Because I would think you need nothing more than a fundamental understanding of classic Newtonian physics, while any deficiency in the study of physic would lead me to think a different career choice ought to be in order.

tell her you don't want to be her colleague... go ahead.. everybody is doing it lately. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
That was really mean... I may have been online a little too early in the morning. I'm sure it's an English problem, not an intelligence problem. OP, I'm sorry for that.

If I can make a friendly suggestion, though, it looks like a remedial English course might be a good idea. I can't say for sure from just a few sentences, but there is a fair amount of writing in the application process, including some extemporaneous writing (in the PCAT and in most interviews). I think this point is sometimes glossed over in the focus on getting good grades in science classes, but if you can't communicate well your chances are greatly reduced.

Charfdorn, it's hard to know if people write the same way that they type on internet forums. I hope that a lot of people that don't capitalize, use lots of texting words, etc. don't do that in real life.

However, I've heard of English/writing teachers taking off lots of points for "u" instead of "you," and if they have to say it, it probably means it happens. I wish people would be a little more clear on the internet and proof what they type, but for some, they don't know how and others are happy with the way they write it.

But to answer the OP's question... I'm not sure how much physics is in pharmacy school. I'd assume since it's not on the PCAT that it's not nearly as important as chemistry and biology.

Can you get any help with your class? Maybe get one of those physics review books?

I have to take physics 1 next semester. My friend is really good at it, he is going into engineering school, he told to help him in ochem and he will help me in physics calc based 1 and 2, and probably physical chem hehe.

Well physics should be important, there is a reason why it's a pre req.

just know

x = xo + Vo t + 1/2 a t^2

and youre set. Thats all physics 1 really is.

FOr physics 2, memorize this
for series R = R + R + R
for parallel R = 1/R + 1/R + 1/R

Identify known variables, then solve for single unknown variable. Simple. If you can pass algebra I, you can pass Physics.

You may need a strong foundation in physics if you plan on specializing in nuclear pharmacy so rote memory will not be enough. Understanding and visualizing the concepts will be better for you in the long term.

just know

for series R = R + R + R

Identify known variables, then solve for single unknown variable. Simple. If you can pass algebra I, you can pass Physics.

You may need a strong foundation in physics if you plan on specializing in nuclear pharmacy so rote memory will not be enough. Understanding and visualizing the concepts will be better for you in the long term.

Don't forget y = yo +Vo t + 1/2 a t^2
And the derivatives of this equation...

OK.... "physic" is an old term that used to mean health (think physiology). "Physics" is the study of the physical properties of matter and the fundamental laws of the universe. Which one are you struggling with? Because I would think you need nothing more than a fundamental understanding of classic Newtonian physics, while any deficiency in the study of physic would lead me to think a different career choice ought to be in order.

I did not realize my typing error until I check the forum now. I hope everyone understands I meant "physics" not "physic".

People who are English is their 1st language, still struggle with Physics. Why? So I do not think English is the primary reason to fail the class. Understanding those concepts is the most important and know how to apply them into the problems then hopefully I will be ok.

People who are English is their 1st language, still struggle with Physics. Why? So I do not think English is the primary reason to fail the class. Understanding those concepts is the most important and know how to apply them into the problems then hopefully I will be ok.

You're right, many people struggle with physics regardless of whether they are native english speakers or ESL. I think the suggestion to improve english skills was made so that if you have trouble with writing/communication skills you will be better prepared for things like PCAT writing portion and interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think not having English as a primary language is the problem with Physics, I think not having a Physics language is the problem. I hated that damn class with a passion, it's not you OP, I think most people struggled with that class. I asked some of the professors whether Physics is a big part of the pharmacy curriculum and was told by the professor that nope it's a weed out class LOL and guess what most professors I spoke to also hated that class in school also!

HTH

I don't think not having English as a primary language is the problem with Physics, I think not having a Physics language is the problem. I hated that damn class with a passion, it's not you OP, I think most people struggled with that class. I asked some of the professors whether Physics is a big part of the pharmacy curriculum and was told by the professor that nope it's a weed out class LOL and guess what most professors I spoke to also hated that class in school also!

HTH

I hated physics when I took it the first time around. Hated, hated, hated it. Then I had to redo my prereqs at the CC and it was so much fun. We built rockets and parachutes. We worked out our problems in a group and didn't even have a textbook. I liked it so much I was even thinking about taking Physics 2. I wish all my classes were taught that way.

Here is an article about the physics classes at MIT. It sounds like my class was taught in a similar manner with a bit less technology.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/13/us/13physics.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=physics MIT&st=cse

You may be a more visual learner, and you may not know it. For me, I grew to love and understand physics better by using the supplemental CD that came with the book which shows real life applications of the problems you are learning. Also, I took a tutoring course on campus for me to ask questions and further relate to the material.

I don't know if any of you guys play video games, but I related many of the concepts such as friction, trajectories, etc. with those shooting games like Halo :idea:

I couldn't relate the quantum section to anything natural, but things like the double slit experiment intrigued me. The topics discussed were out of this world, and the teacher even stated that some physicists relate the quantum material to something supernatural.

I did not realize my typing error until I check the forum now. I hope everyone understands I meant "physics" not "physic".

Asian Girl, I just wanted to let you know that my complaint about the way people write on the internet wasn't really directed at you. I kind of figured you made a simple mistake.

physics is horrible! Maybe because I had a terrible physics professor to begin with. 5 people passed the first test, and the numbers dwindle after every test. I ended up with a B, the hardest B I've ever worked for.

physics is horrible! Maybe because I had a terrible physics professor to begin with. 5 people passed the first test, and the numbers dwindle after every test. I ended up with a B, the hardest B I've ever worked for.

That's the prof. Physics is a great, quantifiable, measurable science, especially Physics I. You get into the quantum/relativity/electricity stuff and it can get kind of fuzzy, but motion and mechanics is very straightforward.

I hated physics when I took it the first time around. Hated, hated, hated it. Then I had to redo my prereqs at the CC and it was so much fun. We built rockets and parachutes. We worked out our problems in a group and didn't even have a textbook. I liked it so much I was even thinking about taking Physics 2. I wish all my classes were taught that way.

Here is an article about the physics classes at MIT. It sounds like my class was taught in a similar manner with a bit less technology.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/13/us/13physics.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=physics MIT&st=cse
it is similiar.
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=F688ECB2FF119649

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz_W6sSoowo&feature=PlayList&p=F688ECB2FF119649&index=0

MIT have their lectures online.

This is to help you, not to make fun of you. This is one of the correct ways that your paragraph can be rewritten:

"People who have English as their first language still struggle with physics. For this reason, I do not think that being fluent in English is the primary reason for not doing well. Understanding the concepts and knowing how to apply them will determine your success."

Hopefully I didn't make any mistakes myself. :laugh: Learning languages is tough. It's hard enough to master one.

:luck: Physics is not a hard subject. In order to understand it though, you have to put time into it. I did every question from the sections I was going to be tested on at least 6 times. This beat the formulas into my head and ultimately helped me succeed. Don't be intimidated by it; If I can pass it, anyone can.

My suggestion is to look over the material before class. And don't just read it, try to understand it. I rarely did this, but when I did, I actually got something out of the lecture. Like the above poster mentioned, doing problems is the key. Before the test I would do every odd problem from the chapters...we were tested every two chapters so this usually totaled about 110 problems. Unfortunately (or fortunately!), I didn't take physics in high school so I felt that put me at a disadvantage compared to my classmates - totally foreign concepts to me.

That was really mean... I may have been online a little too early in the morning. I'm sure it's an English problem, not an intelligence problem. OP, I'm sorry for that.

If I can make a friendly suggestion, though, it looks like a remedial English course might be a good idea. I can't say for sure from just a few sentences, but there is a fair amount of writing in the application process, including some extemporaneous writing (in the PCAT and in most interviews). I think this point is sometimes glossed over in the focus on getting good grades in science classes, but if you can't communicate well your chances are greatly reduced.

LOL, You are a very funny guy! Haha :laugh:! As far as the OP goes, Physics is probably one of the most useless Pre-Reqs you will take in order to get into pharmacy school. Thus far in my matriculation the only thing that has been helpful from physics is dimensional analysis in pharmaceutical calculations.....but even average people are able to perform simple mathematical conversions. Other than that, I can't really think of any other material I was taught Physics, especially physics II, that is applicable to Pharmacy School.

Good LUck!

just know

for series R = R + R + R

Oh yeah, this will come into play when discussing resistance in diffusional barriers in Pharmaceutics. Specifically when you are talking about topical application of drugs, such as creams.

This is to help you, not to make fun of you. This is one of the correct ways that your paragraph can be rewritten:

"People who have English as their first language still struggle with physics. For this reason, I do not think that being fluent in English is the primary reason for not doing well. Understanding the concepts and knowing how to apply them will determine your success."

Hopefully I didn't make any mistakes myself. :laugh: Learning languages is tough. It's hard enough to master one.

uhmm, I think you should become a ESL teacher more than a pharmacist lolz.

Anyways, thanks all for your advices.

Hi all,

I have to look back 8 pages to find my own post. There must be a way to find it faster but anyways I found it now.

Back to Physics (make sure to spell it correctly :)), I got my grade this morning and so happy that I got A (calculus physics). Thanks all for your advices.

I already submitted my application. Can I send my new transcript to Pharmcas to update summer classes now (of course, my GPA goes up a little bit :))or I have to wait until the end of Fall semeter?

If you're having a hard time with physics, it's probably because your professor is a friggin' ego trip who's got his head so far up his own ass that he couldn't actually properly teach if he tried. Seriously, physics professors are among the worst when it comes to flapping their arms and never really explaining what's going on. And we, the student, are just supposed to sit there and go "Oh, okay, that's the equation we use, got it!" without any mathematical proof, derivation, or even en explanation of the concept, like we're just a bunch of talking friggin' robots. It's all vectors, people! Every single solitary thing you learn in physics can be broken down into vectors, and once you learn vectors, the entire course is so friggin' easy to understand that you won't believe how much fun you'll have. You'll be able to make your friggin' professor's head spin because you'll actually understand what's going on while he/she will still be just up at the board spouting equations and reading out of a book like everybody should know what the hell he/she is saying. Give me a friggin' break!

I'd say I'm sorry for going off on that rant, but that's bull****, because I'm not.

Hi all,

I have to look back 8 pages to find my own post. There must be a way to find it faster but anyways I found it now.

Back to Physics (make sure to spell it correctly :)), I got my grade this morning and so happy that I got A (calculus physics). Thanks all for your advices.

I already submitted my application. Can I send my new transcript to Pharmcas to update summer classes now (of course, my GPA goes up a little bit :))or I have to wait until the end of Fall semeter?

I'm glad to hear that! You can do academic update only once, and only after December 15. You could try sending another transcript, if you want, but if you already submitted without the A in Physics on it, then you're going to have to wait.

This is a little nit picky but actually you should always try to use positive constructions. In other words avoid "not" constructions. This is especially true for formal writing. Also you should avoid phrases like "I think", it is assumed that what you type is what you think. lol

Try this instead: "For this reason, you can be fluent in English and still score poorly in Physics."

Other than those minor observations you did a great job rewriting the original near-gibberish composition. Anyone else wanna jump in and tell me what I did wrong? lol