Physical chemistry ii before pchem i

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigndog525

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next semester is my last before graduation. I couldn't fit PChem I in this semester, so had the teacher write me into PChem II for the Spring because first half isn't offered then (he didn't hesitate to write me in). I just need one PChem class to graduate and am worried that I might struggle because I haven't taken the first half. Will this affect my chances of doing well? Also, I will be taking CALC II concurrently with PCHEM, so I am very worried. Is this not a good idea? I really need to graduate next semester, due to personal things putting me in a tight position.

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely would have been doable at my college. I took pchem las year, and I didn't see much of a connection between the two semesters. However, talk to your teacher because I'm sure every school is a little different. Hope this helps. Good luck!!

At my college, p.chem 1 covered thermodynamics, and p.chem 2 covered quantum mechanics. They were completely separate, and the chemistry department let us take whichever one we wanted to fulfill our p.chem requirements. I wouldn't worry about it. It should be ok to take p.chem 2 instead of p.chem 1 if your courses are structured like mine were.

Members don't see this ad :)
same here. I took Pchem II before Pchem I and the topics covered were completely different. If your professor signed off on it, I highly doubt you will have an issue.

PChem I in my school covers thermodynamics, and PChem II covers quantum mechanics.
Chem. Engineering people take a regular thermodynamics class instead of PChem I, but they take PChem II for the quantum mechanics.

They are completely different materials, you should be fine.

how about taking the calculus II while taking Physical Chemistry II (Quantum)