This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fighterNlover

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I guess my post is more confusing than anything. Long story short. I have a back injury and my doctor suggested that I stop doing all sports and do something that is not as physically demanding. And if I were to continue to do sports and put stress on my body, my injury would get worse. But, I really want to be in the medical field.

Any advice? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there such a thing as a 15-year old fighting professionally? Can you elaborate on the "retired fighter" part?

Also, can you elaborate on how you would be required to sacrifice your health in becoming a doctor?

Reactions: 1 users
I am really confused by this whole post. Retired firefighters serve 20 years and then retire, you're only 20 now. Volunteering for two years and then moving away does not make you a retired firefighter.

What exactly is the question at hand? How to weigh physical demands against the reward of a career you like?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am really confused by this whole post. Retired firefighters serve 20 years and then retire, you're only 20 now. Volunteering for two years and then moving away does not make you a retired firefighter.

What exactly is the question at hand? How to weigh physical demands against the reward of a career you like?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Martial Arts fighter, not a firefighter is what the OP meant.

There are technical standards that you have to meet for medical school admission.

From UCSF med:
"Candidates must, after a reasonable period of training1, possess the capacity to perform physical examinations and diagnostic maneuvers. They must be able to respond to clinical situations in a timely manner and provide general and emergency care. These activities require some physical mobility, coordination of both gross and fine motor neuromuscular function and balance and equilibrium."

I must have misread the first post - that makes much more sense. My apologies OP.

In any case, technical standards are definitely a thing to keep in mind but weighing the decision to push forward through pain at times to pursue medicine is not a decision anyone can make for you. If you meet the standards, you should talk to some doctors about what their level of physical activity/demand is to get an idea of what you're up against.

You are not required to sacrifice your health to become a doctor, perhaps save for lost sleep in residency. It's not like you're mining coal or anything. I wouldn't let it be too intimidating.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

If it's not too personal can you elaborate on the nature of your injury and why your doc advised you to stop? More information may help.

What your injury is and the restrictions associated with it would be helpful.

There are some where standing for long hours is problematic and therefore, surgery might be out of the question (although SDN has a surgery resident member who is paraplegic so accommodations will be made for the right candidate).

OTOH some people with back injuries feel better standing and walking around.

Hmmm. You might want to PM me as I could put you in touch with my husband (who competed in track and field but was sidelined by a severe back injury). Some doctors are somewhat mistaken in that they think you just shouldn't ever use your back again, but that often makes things worse. Of course, the doctor could be right about how to deal with it. Anyway, feel free to contact me and I'll see if I can put you in touch. You might need multiple opinions on your injury as well.