Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

legacydoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently filling out my application and wondering which DO schools have high match rates for PM&R specialties so if anyone has any idea then please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

PM&R is a specialty that any one from any DO school can get into with ease.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
PM&R is the only residency where MD and DO are truly 100% equal. I've seen matches at Harvard, Stanford and many other top schools. You can literally go to any DO school and have no problem at all matching.

Reactions: 1 users
PM&R is a specialty that any one from any DO school can get into with ease.
Historically, this has been true. However, the field has gradually been becoming competitive. It was one of the few fields that had a match rate of 100% this match cycle. It's no plastic surgery but it is becoming competitive.

PM&R is the only residency where MD and DO are truly 100% equal. I've seen matches at Harvard, Stanford and many other top schools. You can literally go to any DO school and have no problem at all matching.

http://pmr.hms.harvard.edu/pages/45/187/
http://pmr.hms.harvard.edu/categories/45/

https://www.bcm.edu/departments/physical-medicine-and-rehabilitation/education/currentresidents

Harvard PM& R has a couple. Baylor has a handful, Stanford has like... one.

Historically, this has been true. However, the field has gradually been becoming competitive. It was one of the few fields that had a match rate of 100% this match cycle. It's no plastic surgery but it is becoming competitive.
It's not enough to go by the match rate; you have to look at the quality of applicants. But as mentioned before, DOs and MDs are on equal ground- maybe. Every residency is becoming more competitive with the increasing number of med students. Since MD students generally have greater access to research and actual PMR residencies I think they'd have a leg up.

It's not enough to go by the match rate; you have to look at the quality of applicants. But as mentioned before, DOs and MDs are on equal ground- maybe. Every residency is becoming more competitive with the increasing number of med students. Since MD students generally have greater access to research and actual PMR residencies I think they'd have a leg up.
But Osteopathic Physicians have OMM training which many programs prefer. It's not as easy as just research giving you a leg up in a field like PM&R. If we were talking about Neurology, research can make a big difference.

Reactions: 1 user
And she came from the best Osteopathic school ;-). They also have an IMG from Ross, which suggests that the lack of DOs at Stanford could be because of the lack of people applying.

Don't be so sure. I have heard from actual residents that their program would rather take Carib MDs over DOs.

How did you find out what school a resident went to? I tried looking them up but since they haven't finished residencies it's hard to find that information unless it's listed on the program website.

Don't be so sure. I have heard from actual residents that their program would rather take Carib MDs over DOs.

How did you find out what school a resident went to? I tried looking them up but since they haven't finished residencies it's hard to find that information unless it's listed on the program website.
You heard it from PM&R resident? I find that very curious given the PD survey that rates interviewing equal between MD and DO but lower for Carib.

http://pmr.stanford.edu/education/residents.html

Min Jee Kim, D.O.
Medical School: Western University of Health Sciences
Interests: general rehabilitation

Lisa Williams, M.D.
Hometown: Santa Cruz, California
Medical School: Ross University School of Medicine
Interests: electrodiagnostic medicine, nonoperative orthopedics, general rehabilitation, injury prevention, musculoskeletal health through adaptive exercise

^AlbinoHawk beat me to it.

I also agree with him. She went to the best DO school. ;)

You heard it from PM&R resident? I find that very curious given the PD survey that rates interviewing equal between MD and DO but lower for Carib.

http://pmr.stanford.edu/education/residents.html

Min Jee Kim, D.O.
Medical School: Western University of Health Sciences
Interests: general rehabilitation

Lisa Williams, M.D.
Hometown: Santa Cruz, California
Medical School: Ross University School of Medicine
Interests: electrodiagnostic medicine, nonoperative orthopedics, general rehabilitation, injury prevention, musculoskeletal health through adaptive exercise

That's pretty cool. I didn't see that page.

^AlbinoHawk beat me to it.

I also agree with him. She went to the best DO school. ;)

Trying to get me to come over to the dark side? I'll admit the white coats do look slightly better.

But Osteopathic Physicians have OMM training which many programs prefer. It's not as easy as just research giving you a leg up in a field like PM&R. If we were talking about Neurology, research can make a big difference.
Source ?

I don't have one off the top of my head and doubt any program would publicly announce it. I read about it on the med student - osteopathic forum from someone and a couple of others agreed.

I don't have one off the top of my head and doubt any program would publicly announce it. I read about it on the med student - osteopathic forum from someone and a couple of others agreed.
Ok well if you look at the PD's survey you won't see OMM on there. Then if you stumble into the PMR forums or a DO physiatry doc IRL you'll find that few utilize it.

Ok well if you look at the PD's survey you won't see OMM on there. Then if you stumble into the PMR forums or a DO physiatry doc IRL you'll find that few utilize it.
Point acknowledged. I could be wrong about the OMM preference, although it makes sense (to me) that many techniques are applicable within PM&R.