Physican Anesthesia Group, Santa Monica, CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gozurian

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Open recruiting for full time position(s) in all physician mid-size anesthesiology group in Santa Monica, CA.
Collegial rapport with surgeons and a lifestyle oriented practice with stable, team-oriented group that values mutual support.
Rare opportunity to join a group that has historically recruited by direct/personal referral only
260 bed community hospital (no trauma, no transplant)

BC/BE anesthesiologist needed for general OR, GI lab, and Labor & Delivery locations within main hospital and nearby ASCs (within 1/2 mile)
Independent contractor 1099 compensation until partnership

Neuraxial and US regional skills essential for busy joint replacement program and L&D.
Main OR home-call/in house OB call combined avg 2-3/month

Send resume and statement of interest
[email protected]
Bayside Anesthesia Medical Group (BaysideMD.com)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you guys still paying your “partnership track” candidates under $200 per hour as 1099 employees while stringing them along an endless timeline until becoming partner?

I know you guys have a prime location with a decent payor mix, but can’t imagine living in west LA is getting any cheaper. You guys having trouble keeping that steady stream of recruiting naive new graduates from the local training programs?

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
Are you guys still paying your “partnership track” candidates under $200 per hour as 1099 employees while stringing them along an endless timeline until becoming partner?

I know you guys have a prime location with a decent payor mix, but can’t imagine living in west LA is getting any cheaper. You guys having trouble keeping that steady stream of recruiting naive new graduates from the local training programs?

WoW.

Members don't see this ad :)

200$/hr working hours?

To all those even thinking about it: this is the notorious "5-8 year partnership based on performance", attrition rate >75% gig that everyone talks about.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 16 users
incredible that they have a number of new grads from top Boston and California programs when UCLA is quite literally across the street and pays better.

$175/hr, no minimum hour guarantee, 5 year partnership track.
If you get assigned 1 lap chole and finish in an hour, you make a grand total of $175 for the entire day.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14 users
I think this is the group that had one of our recent grads on call all the time, working a ton of weekends and he made like half of what that work was worth. Made me write off the entire los angeles area, thank god cause allied kept hassling me.

$175/hr, no minimum hour guarantee, 5 year partnership track.
If you get assigned 1 lap chole and finish in an hour, you make a grand total of $175 for the entire day.
You can enjoy the beautiful Santa Monica for the rest of the day.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was intrigued having family who live nearby, but sounds like a reverse Motte-and-Bailey switch gig.

LessonSometimes when you treat people like toilet paper it comes back to haunt you.

I mean, the do have a full roster of people on the website. Places like this do make me curious. Not that I want the job, but I just want to be nosey in people's personal/financial lives to play devil's advocate for the inevitable SDN beatdown these places get when they post.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean, the do have a full roster of people on the website. Places like this do make me curious. Not that I want the job, but I just want to be nosey in people's personal/financial lives to play devil's advocate for the inevitable SDN beatdown these places get when they post.

huh.. i know a few of the people who work there.

This is true. While this job is very much below average for us online rockstars, that’s not to say it isn’t for anyone. I’m sure there’s someone who will be perfectly content making $325k without benefits while living in one of the most expensive zip codes in the country. That person also likely has a wealthy spouse or fat trust fund.

Reactions: 5 users
Click around on the younger docs - you can see how long they've been there and still not partner. Word is some feel stuck but when you're that invested in it you either have to quit and lose all progress or see it through.

This is true. While this job is very much below average for us online rockstars, that’s not to say it isn’t for anyone. I’m sure there’s someone who will be perfectly content making $325k without benefits while living in one of the most expensive zip codes in the country. That person also likely has a wealthy spouse or fat trust fund.
Average income in Santa Monica before the pandemic is 96.5k, so while this is terrible for physicians, know there is the majority of people out there in that city living far more modestly and making it work.

Average income in Santa Monica before the pandemic is 96.5k, so while this is terrible for physicians, know there is the majority of people out there in that city living far more modestly and making it work.

Yes. Unlike many wealthy communities, Santa Monica does have a large stock of modest apartments. If you’re young and single, you can get a 1br for $2500-3000/mo, have a very fun lifestyle, and still save money. It’s also possible for high income DINKs. Much harder if one is married with kids and a stay at home spouse.

Yes. Unlike many wealthy communities, Santa Monica does have a large stock of modest apartments. If you’re young and single, you can get a 1br for $2500-3000/mo, have a very fun lifestyle, and still save money. It’s also possible for high income DINKs. Much harder if one is married with kids and a stay at home spouse.
I get a sense in LA county a lot of physicians fall in that DINK category. One probably works for a large organization (or some career outside of medicine) to get the family benefits and the other does the 1099 hustle. If not that, they’re single and living life as you said. We like to shade 300k/yr jobs on here, but when you’re single in a fun city, 300k is a lot of money. I had a fun on way less than that on a resident salary in a major city.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I get a sense in LA county a lot of physicians fall in that DINK category. One probably works for a large organization (or some career outside of medicine) to get the family benefits and the other does the 1099 hustle. If not that, they’re single and living life as you said. We like to share 300k/yr jobs on here, but when you’re single in a fun city, 300k is a lot of money. I had a fun on way less than that on a resident salary in a major city.
Jesus, this 300K is 1099. Deduct double payroll tax, malpractice insurance, 30K gone. If one is single, medical insurance another 10-20K. So roughly a grand total of 160K take home income.

After so many years of school, a ****load of debt, 160K living in the most expensive place with potentially high-maintenance girlfriend (which one is not in Santa Monica)?

How long can one stay single after residency?

This is how the greedy old partners trying to brain-wash the younger ones. They are collecting the sweet 600K plus.

Bayside in Santa Monica got discussed in the main forum a while back:

I can't speak to Cedars, but I know a little about Bayside.

The "group" is really a handful of super partners who make money off the junior partners and the stable of 1099 independent contractors. When I interviewed with them before the pandemic, they were offering $175 per hour for SURGERY TIME. (You weren't paid for time between cases; nor for startup units.) They "stipend" you three hours ($525) for taking call on the weekends--plus the same $175/hour for case time.

They expect you'll work for them at least three years as an independent contractor. Then at least two as a junior partner.

I was an unusual applicant because I was really only interested in the 1099 work (as a side gig/in-house locums). Because of that, I was more or less fast-tracked. Without exception, the junior partners I met were friendly and welcoming. They asked me to sit down with their godfather, who came off as a total and complete D-bag. He was clearly threatened that I was the product of better education and training than he was. His entire schtick was to attempt to measure dicks and get me to genuflect before him and kiss his ring. It was clear that he was many years past his prime, and he shocked me with his ignorance of ERAS guidelines, the improvements in ultrasound, the benefits of precedex, and the safety of sugammadex. (To be fair to him, he was similarly shocked at my ignorance of the Santa Monica culinary scene. He on two occasions tried to wow me with the "resis" (short for reservations) he had--"this week alone!"--at eateries that he thought I was supposed to give a rat's ass about. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.) On two different occasions he pimped me with some CA-2 level question, then interrupted me to take a phone call. (I don't think he was even talking to anybody on the phone; he was using his desk phone as a prop to make himself appear important.)

When the subject of hourly wage came up, he was simultaneously aware that the offer was insulting and attempting to act like it was a generous sum to be paying to trainees who are still testing themselves. When I mentioned that the hourly rate was even worse than Kaiser's hourly rate (which eventually will lead to a vested pension), he countered quickly that "our homes are our pensions. I've made more living in my own home than I'll ever make passing gas."

I decided against them. Truth be told, I went as far as filling out their application for hospital privileges. When they expected me to pay the $900 application fee (for the right to work for $175 an operating hour), I figured that it wasn't worth it.

They seem to have a single draw: living in Santa Monica. And, to some degree, it kind of works for them. Yes, they are always running ads. But, on the other hand, the senior partners don't seem to be working very hard. And they seem to have kept a handful of mommy-track junior partners on board.

On the bright side, though they are only paying CRNA wages. hey are still offering jobs to physicians. So, in a way, that's better than predatory groups that are giving away doctors' jobs to nurses. And, it doesn't seem like Somnia or Envision is threatening their exclusive contract.

I would be very surprised to hear that anybody on SDN would find the job attractive. Their target market is somebody who doesn't really need the money, but isn't yet ready to retire.

Oh, and they use Epic. Blech.

I know a lot about the santa monica one. The attendings cant afford to even live in fking santa monica in a respectable house. You’ll work hard to make over $300k as a 1099 with no benefits for a few years, as u are paid per hour, less than $200. And by paid by the hour, i mean anesthesia start to anesthesia stop. Meaning you don’t get paid per hour youre at the hospital. The time it takes for nurses to mop the floor and set up sht for the surgeon-you’re basically there working for free, exactly like slavery.
the benefits are that its in a nice city (that you wont afford a 3 bedroom house with the money they give you). Also its lifestyle oriented from what i understand.

I see that job post make it's way to Gaswork about once a year I feel like. That says something in my book. All of us with a CA license would probably love to work in Santa Monica but if they're posting on Gaswork then something is up. The big question I would have is "How many people they take on for the "pre-employee/junior partner" track actually end up making partner?"

Jesus, this 300K is 1099. Deduct double payroll tax, malpractice insurance, 30K gone. If one is single, medical insurance another 10-20K. So roughly a grand total of 160K take home income.

After so many years of school, a ****load of debt, 160K living in the most expensive place with potentially high-maintenance girlfriend (which one is not in Santa Monica)?

This is how the greedy old partners trying to brain-wash the younger ones. They are collecting the sweet 600K plus.

If they have many employees on a long partnership track paying them as little as reported, then the partners are probably making much more than $600k. With their payor mix, they could make $600k without stealing anything from their young enployees.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I worked in the LA area for a year and a half fresh out of training. That place is littered with shady, deceitful, predatory groups and anesthesiologists. I know they exist in many other places but they are particularly highly concentrated there. Shameful for our specialty. Outside of maybe a couple groups, PP in the LA area generally speaking is truly a clusterf*ck. It was so much better after I got out of there

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users
O.P.'s user name checks out:

Gozer the Gozerian ... Gozer is an ancient, and all-powerful Sumerian shape-shifting "God Of Destruction".

(Ghostbusters fans)

If you’ve been married or are married…..you’d be surprised the answer to this question lol

150-200k of after tax/expenses money as a single person can go a long way, even in expensive markets

i had co-residents that yearly made trips to Europe and the Caribbean on resident salaries. Maybe they were dealing drugs or table dancing on the side.

I was one of those residents. No drugs, table dancing or only fans. It's fairly easy to do when not traveling during peak season.

Looking through the roster, looks like a 40 member group with about half partners and half non partners. Some of the non partners have been there over 10 years. Also a large proportion of the group have been there only 2-3 years. That means they are either growing rapidly or churning through a lot of people.

1099 is great don't understand why so many people in this thread are hating on it. Better than W-2. Ability to write off literially every single thing in your life as a business expense. Also enables you to form a SEP-IRA and put away about $55k per year in retirement vs $19.5 with a regular W-2 401K. Also you can basically walk away at any second because you would make sure the contract was between the group and your personal S-corp, not you personally.

Additionally can pay yourself a low salary directly from your s-corp to keep the medicare and social security tax to a min and just take whatever else is left as a K-1 distribution.

1099 is great don't understand why so many people in this thread are hating on it. Better than W-2. Ability to write off literially every single thing in your life as a business expense. Also enables you to form a SEP-IRA and put away about $55k per year in retirement vs $19.5 with a regular W-2 401K. Also you can basically walk away at any second because you would make sure the contract was between the group and your personal S-corp, not you personally.

Additionally can pay yourself a low salary directly from your s-corp to keep the medicare and social security tax to a min and just take whatever else is left as a K-1 distribution.

the 1099 non partners aren’t making what the partners do. So the non partners are making less and paying for all of their benefits. The partners are making a killing off the non partners because they can. That’s what people here are against.

if everyone made the same, and everyone was 1099, then sure that’s fine because of what you mentioned. But that’s not happening here.

I think this is all true, again with the caveats that Southpaw mention that everyone is financially treated the same. There are certainly benefits of being an IC. It does to a lot of bandwidth to go from a W2 gig to a 1099 gig as opposed to vice versa, especially once you're established with a family.

Why not do a solo 401k and backdoor Roth IRA. Increase your total available retirement space by $12k/year.

I don’t think anyone is hating on the 1099 aspect of it. It’s the dollar amount before it that folks here have a problem with. It should be much higher.

A lot of practices on the West coast also compensate as W2 but still let you deduct business expenses and fully fund a 401k, as if you are a 1099. It makes things much easier come tax season.

A lot of practices on the West coast also compensate as W2 but still let you deduct business expenses and fully fund a 401k, as if you are a 1099. It makes things much easier come tax season.
W2 has to pay a reasonable salary. Deduct the rest including a cash balance plan and other expenses.

The salary can’t be too low. Has to be reasonable.

You can't really write off that much. Some equipment, business related travel, electronics. I only had like 20k deductible expenses last year.

No surprise but wow, way back in 2000 I lived w/friends on 17th and Wilshire in a pretty large, nice 3-BR that totaled about $1800/mos.

I know nothing about this group and very little about the job market for your field but based on comments my 1st thought was why isn't this group P/E already? Simultaneously can one take a job posting on this site as legit and/or not desperate?

You can't really write off that much. Some equipment, business related travel, electronics. I only had like 20k deductible expenses last year.
That kind of stuff is peanuts. Write off HSA contribution and cash balance plan and other expenses.

Open recruiting for full time position(s) in all physician mid-size anesthesiology group in Santa Monica, CA.
Collegial rapport with surgeons and a lifestyle oriented practice with stable, team-oriented group that values mutual support.
Rare opportunity to join a group that has historically recruited by direct/personal referral only
260 bed community hospital (no trauma, no transplant)

BC/BE anesthesiologist needed for general OR, GI lab, and Labor & Delivery locations within main hospital and nearby ASCs (within 1/2 mile)
Independent contractor 1099 compensation until partnership

Neuraxial and US regional skills essential for busy joint replacement program and L&D.
Main OR home-call/in house OB call combined avg 2-3/month

Send resume and statement of interest
[email protected]
Bayside Anesthesia Medical Group (BaysideMD.com)
To ThinkorSwim's point: Bayside has taken significant steps to keep pace with the market. Associate rates were increased during the COVID labor squeeze. and the group has continued to promote new partners steadily (pretty much annually, including 2 during COVID). There's a brisk recent uptick in hiring to keep pace with anticipated retirements and to maintain a favorable lower frequency call rotation. Partners and associates alike participate in the same call pool rotations with the aforementioned 2-3 higher calls per month (with no trauma or transplant burden)

Last edited:
To ThinkorSwim's point: Bayside has taken significant steps to keep pace with the market. Associate rates were increased during the COVID labor squeeze. and the group has continued to promote new partners steadily (pretty much annually, including 2 during COVID). There's a brisk recent uptick in hiring to keep pace with anticipated retirements and to maintain a favorable lower frequency call rotation. Partners and associates alike participate in the same call pool rotations with the aforementioned 2-3 higher calls per month (with no trauma or transplant burden)
What percentage of incoming associates make partner and what is the average number of years as an associate among those that make it?

What percentage of incoming associates make partner and what is the average number of years as an associate among those that make it?
Nearly all departures are not attritive, but reflect the movement of independent contractors and part-time staff who are not on partnership track. The great majority of staff working towards an equity stake achieve that goal at the 5 year mark. The group website displays all our staff for patient feedback and shows many physicians who are part-time, ”full time locums”, or only occasionally or historically active…I can see how that would create a particular impression of the associate/partnership ratio and progression. It’s primarily a patient communication tool.