L
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Different personalities. Different motivations. Reasons to me that dress code would vary so drastically as well. I'd personally like to never wear a suit and tie if I never had to ever again, but I wouldn't want to walk around in just a tank top either. Don't want my biceps intimidating anyone...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This seems...unimportant. They can wear whatever they want.
Agreed 100x!
This seems...unimportant. They can wear whatever they want.
Unless you’re at Mayo lol.
I disagree, it’s important to dress professional in a professional settingThis seems...unimportant. They can wear whatever they want.
This seems...unimportant. They can wear whatever they want.
I disagree, it’s important to dress professional in a professional setting
This reminds me of may professors. Some would wear a t-shirt and jeans, and others would dress up to the point where their tie knots were exquisite at all times.
I'm not really sure what I believe on this topic. As a scientist in general, I only care about what someone is "thinking", not what they're "wearing". However, presentation to patients could be very important...
D
deleted870424
One of my hospitals explicitly says no rounding in jeans, sweats, yoga pants etc
One of my hospitals explicitly says no rounding in jeans, sweats, yoga pants etc
How strictly are those rules enforced for physicians?
In some clinics/hospitals, I feel like the physicians are able to have much more leeway with rules (dress codes, etc.) than most of the rest of the employees.
I disagree, it’s important to dress professional in a professional setting
I don't know, I really wouldn't mind if my doctor wasn't dressed professionally, but I understand why others would be put off by that. But I just meant that at the end of the day the physicians have the right to decide what they wear, as long as they're being compliant with any dress code that the institution has for its employees.
Oh I see people coming in in jeans (Ive even wore some dark wash ones) but every now and again it gets mentioned at Med Staff meetings so someone is noticing. I can’t imagine you’d lose your privileges unless you were grossly out of boundsHow strictly are those rules enforced for physicians?
In some clinics/hospitals, I feel like the physicians are able to have much more leeway with rules (dress codes, etc.) than most of the rest of the employees.
D
Deleted member 750603
Some schools / hospitals / clinics require dress codes. Mayo Clinic, for example, is full suit attire and no crazy colors (even socks).
I am in the ER a lot (not as a patient thankfully) and most of the doctors I see there are wearing scrubs with a white coat over top (or sometimes just scrubs). They still seem to carry the "doctor" authority when they walk into the room, I find this perfectly OK.
I shadowed a physician who always wore his white coat with a shirt and tie, meanwhile my primary care doctor never wears his white coat and always wears a dress shirt (no tie), and slacks.
All of these seem acceptable to me, many docs and physical therapists wear polo shirts and khaki's too.
I'm cool with anything except a "wife beater" I guess. And by that I mean the undershirt, not Rob Porter.
I shadowed a physician who always wore his white coat with a shirt and tie, meanwhile my primary care doctor never wears his white coat and always wears a dress shirt (no tie), and slacks.
All of these seem acceptable to me, many docs and physical therapists wear polo shirts and khaki's too.
I'm cool with anything except a "wife beater" I guess. And by that I mean the undershirt, not Rob Porter.
Last edited:
And by that I mean the undershirt, not Rob Porter.
Well then there's HOPE...or not.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To me a big part of it is meeting patients expectations to gain their trust. Sure I’m sure I could practice medicine wearing a loincloth and sporting an 18 inch neon blue Mohawk but I’m not sure patients would want to trust or believe me
Scrubs or bust for me.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ties are just straight up gross in the hospital. There have been studies about how much disease a physician's tie carries... those things dip into everything. I would never voluntarily work somewhere that required them from the male docs just because it shows the place thinks that appearance is way more important than patient safety. 🙄
Our daytime docs dress up, but one guy who always works nights usually just shows up in a scrub top and jeans with a white coat on top. Reason ten million to work nights - none of the daytime administrative idiots are around to police clothing choices.
Our daytime docs dress up, but one guy who always works nights usually just shows up in a scrub top and jeans with a white coat on top. Reason ten million to work nights - none of the daytime administrative idiots are around to police clothing choices.
Last edited:
In my area, the only ones I ever saw sport their white coats are med students, NP/PA and nurse manager. Literally ALL the attendings, are in scrubs or some variation of professional attire. The residents all sport Patagonia jackets with their name and department embroid in. I really don't know if that is a New England thing.
In private practice / clinic setting, it can vary. I've seen psych slay in their wardrobe, to a simple shirt and slacks. But the surgeons by far dress the best as a group...don't know why, especially old school ones.
In private practice / clinic setting, it can vary. I've seen psych slay in their wardrobe, to a simple shirt and slacks. But the surgeons by far dress the best as a group...don't know why, especially old school ones.
The residents all sport Patagonia jackets with their name and department embroid in. I really don't know if that is a New England thing.
I came here to say this. Scrubs and Patagonia fleece were the unspoken dress code at the hospital I worked at (also in New England).
I've never worked anywhere (10+ hospitals) where there is a dress code for physicians. I usually wear scrubs but that's par for the course for my specialty (EM).
I came here to say this. Scrubs and Patagonia fleece were the unspoken dress code at the hospital I worked at (also in New England).
Lol, we have one too for med student. It just shows our name and our class year.
I saw that for this upcoming class they did away with Patagonia and went with Fig Scrub instead. Their fleece are nice too.
Yeah, guns aren't allowed in most hospitals.Different personalities. Different motivations. Reasons to me that dress code would vary so drastically as well. I'd personally like to never wear a suit and tie if I never had to ever again, but I wouldn't want to walk around in just a tank top either. Don't want my biceps intimidating anyone...
One of my hospitals explicitly says no rounding in jeans, sweats, yoga pants etc
I'm totally gonna round with yoga pants tomorrow 😛
You laugh but out here people (including myself) wear them everywhere, like they're real clothes; flip flops are required as well.I'm totally gonna round with yoga pants tomorrow 😛
Ties are just straight up gross in the hospital. There have been studies about how much disease a physician's tie carries... those things dip into everything. I would never voluntarily work somewhere that required them from the male docs just because it shows the place thinks that appearance is way more important than patient safety. 🙄
Our daytime docs dress up, but one guy who always works nights usually just shows up in a scrub top and jeans with a white coat on top. Reason ten million to work nights - none of the daytime administrative idiots are around to police clothing choices.
Have you read those "studies"? Be careful when commenting on observational findings done over a decade ago.
Neckties have never been implicated in transmission of disease. If you culture them (which is all they did), guess what? You'll find bacteria. Just the same as if they cultured your shirt, the pen you use daily, your fingers, the keys of the computer, your stethoscope tubing, etc.
I've never seen a colleague allow their necktie to dangle into a purulent wound and then drag it across the next patient's decubitus ulcer. There are things called tie clips, or buttoning it inside your shirt/white coat (also a presumed source of fomites) or wearing a bow tie (only for ENT, Urologists in the surgical world, and Neuro or Psych). I'm certainly not advocating wearing dirty clothes to the hospital but if we are going to implicate ties, we had better look at everything else we do casually, assuming those objects are innocent.
I've never seen a colleague allow their necktie to dangle into a purulent wound and then drag it across the next patient's decubitus ulcer.
I've seen an L&D nurse let her hair drape into a patient's amniotic fluid and then just flip it back over her shoulder. Delicious.
Why that's full of protein. It probably gave her hair extra body and bounce!I've seen an L&D nurse let her hair drape into a patient's amniotic fluid and then just flip it back over her shoulder. Delicious.
You cannot be squeamish in L&D.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why that's full of protein. It probably gave her hair extra body and bounce!
You cannot be squeamish in L&D.
Yeah, I realized that after my first section. Fortunately, it never bothered me. The only things that ever bothered me were anything where I had to look at teeth and necrotic toes.
I do not like orbital enucleation.Yeah, I realized that after my first section. Fortunately, it never bothered me. The only things that ever bothered me were anything where I had to look at teeth and necrotic toes.
Gross.
Scrubs all day, every day.
Gunnin for ortho so I can sport a loincloth and mohawkTo me a big part of it is meeting patients expectations to gain their trust. Sure I’m sure I could practice medicine wearing a loincloth and sporting an 18 inch neon blue Mohawk but I’m not sure patients would want to trust or believe me
Everything else is easier to clean than a tie, and nobody's talking about dangling a tie in a wound (hopefully)... with a lot of the bugs we have, just touching the bedside table or side rail is enough, and it's the rare physician who actually gowns up for contact precautions like he/she is supposed to - at least that I've seen.Have you read those "studies"? Be careful when commenting on observational findings done over a decade ago.
Neckties have never been implicated in transmission of disease. If you culture them (which is all they did), guess what? You'll find bacteria. Just the same as if they cultured your shirt, the pen you use daily, your fingers, the keys of the computer, your stethoscope tubing, etc.
I've never seen a colleague allow their necktie to dangle into a purulent wound and then drag it across the next patient's decubitus ulcer. There are things called tie clips, or buttoning it inside your shirt/white coat (also a presumed source of fomites) or wearing a bow tie (only for ENT, Urologists in the surgical world, and Neuro or Psych). I'm certainly not advocating wearing dirty clothes to the hospital but if we are going to implicate ties, we had better look at everything else we do casually, assuming those objects are innocent.
Hands are easily washed, I wipe down my pens/computer keyboard at least before I leave every day. I have stopped bringing a stethoscope to work at all and just drop a contact stethoscope in every one of my patients' rooms. Those work fine for 99% of patients; if I have a super obese COPDer I just borrow a friend's. OR scrubs are always readily available for clothing contamination issues.
Ties? I've seen people wear the same tie multiple days in a row in the hospital, and odds are they aren't getting cleaned at home between shifts. I still think that's gross, regardless of whatever the actual science says these days.
Scrubs or Patagonia for me.
Sometimes I see doctors go all out and wear the suit with the fancy rolex and flashy tie clip.
Other times they come in jeans and a t shirt. I even saw a doctor wear a tank top once and just put his white coat over it.
What up with that??
n=1 but at the hospital I work at, internal medicine physicians will dress business casual and any doctors that are doing procedures will stay in scrubs. Some of the hospitalists dress like pimps, it's awesome! Like I'm talking about pinstripe suits with gold oxford shoes with gold bowties!!
He'd actually look quite dapper with different shoes.View attachment 229957 This is how I like my physicians dressed