Physician shortage by 2020???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD_Strategery

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Found this article on medscape.....Some may have seen some not.. Thought it would maybe generate some discussion.

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Nov 02 - Over the next two decades, a shortage of 200,000 physicians could occur in the US unless measures are taken to curb current economic and medical trends, according to a new report. Still, what should be done to remedy the problem remains unclear.

The report, which is authored by Dr. Richard A. Cooper, from the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee, appears in the November 2nd issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine.

For the last 2 decades, medical school and residency program policy decisions have been based on the premise that there would be an impending physician surplus, Dr. Cooper notes. Not only did this surplus never materialize, he adds, but there is increasing evidence that a shortage of clinicians is on the horizon.

Using a planning model that couples economic growth to health care spending and physician demand, Dr. Cooper was able to estimate the magnitude of a physician shortage or surplus in the coming decades.

His conclusion? There is a physician shortage that is just beginning now, but will likely increase dramatically in the next 20 years. By 2020, there could be a shortage of 200,000 doctors -- about 20% of the required workforce.

"The picture that emerges is uncomplicated and unambiguous. In simple numeric terms, the number of physicians is no longer keeping up with population growth," Dr. Cooper concludes.

In a related editorial Dr. Alan M. Garber, from the Stanford University School of Medicine in California, and Dr. Harold C. Sox, from the American College of Physicians in Philadelphia, write that "increasing the supply of physicians gradually, in small increments -- ones that would not require major new investments in capital or teaching personnel -- is a prudent strategy."

Members don't see this ad.

I'll bet they take more FMGs and open more osteopathic schools before they significantly open more slots for med schools. All the demographic data suggests that jobs will be plentiful in the next 20-30 years when all the geezers retire or die off.

I read that today too. I found it interesting considering there are so many people who want to become doctors every year, yet so many dont make it into any school. A little odd dont you think?? Good way to make salaries dont go down I guess.....

Members don't see this ad :)
CyberTammy said:
Florida has a new med school (FSU) and is planning two more, one at florida atlantic university (FAU) and at florida internation university (FIU). Also I know for a fact that UF is increasing their class size this year and UM has too recently.

No one else's states are expanding? I guess we are the only smart ones (except in the damn election).

yeah, you guys are part of jesusland

CyberTammy said:
Florida has a new med school (FSU) and is planning two more, one at florida atlantic university (FAU) and at florida internation university (FIU). Also I know for a fact that UF is increasing their class size this year and UM has too recently.

No one else's states are expanding? I guess we are the only smart ones (except in the damn election).

True but from what I understand there aren't any out of state students thus far... will that change in the future? If not I guess it won't do the rest of u non-floridians any good...

and the new "three strikes and you're out" malpractice law or whatever that is going to force many ppl to not practice in florida. my bf is going to consider residency outside of florida if it doesn't get repealed. :-(