physician to physician assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressluver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of new graduate physicians becoming PAs without completing an internship or residency? My sister for personal reasons wants to become a PA without doing a residency after she graduates medical school this year. I looked on the PANCE website, and they say that currently MDs cannot challenge the certifying PA exam, but I am wondering if anyone knows of any other options.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard of new graduate physicians becoming PAs without completing an internship or residency? My sister for personal reasons wants to become a PA without doing a residency after she graduates medical school this year. I looked on the PANCE website, and they say that currently MDs cannot challenge the certifying PA exam, but I am wondering if anyone knows of any other options.

On the PA forum I believe that's been talked about as an impossibility. Her best bet would be to complete the internship, at minimum, and do something where she doesn't have to be the one in charge.

On the PA forum I believe that's been talked about as an impossibility. Her best bet would be to complete the internship, at minimum, and do something where she doesn't have to be the one in charge.

Yeah, I agree. At this point at least do a FM residency or something and be able to work. If not you can't do either.

Members don't see this ad :)
She can do 1 year of internship and be a general practitioner. It is almost never done these days but I think it is still legal.

this is a semi-anonymous forum, could you please give the reason why your sister doesnt want to do residency? (if it's a family issue aka a death or illness, i understand)

She cant be a PA that way....she needs to look at just the intern option...not sure about all the details with it though!

this is a semi-anonymous forum, could you please give the reason why your sister doesn't want to do residency? (if it's a family issue aka a death or illness, i understand)
With complete respect to you and your sister's privacy and with zero judgement, I too am also very very interested in the reasoning behind your sister's wish to become a PA after graduating medical school.

This sounds like a huge waste of time for your sister's sake, I'm sorry to say.

You can't take the PANCE (certification exam) unless you've graduated from an accredited PA program.