Physics-At University or online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

premedseekinghelp

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!
I go to a school that's pretty good in STEM, mainly engineering. As a result, our physics is pretty tough. Would taking physics online hurt my chances of applying to medical (or pharmacy) school?
Thanks!
 
Hi all!
I go to a school that's pretty good in STEM, mainly engineering. As a result, our physics is pretty tough. Would taking physics online hurt my chances of applying to medical (or pharmacy) school?
Thanks!

Protecting one's GPA is important. On the other hand, a well taught Physics class will teach you different ways of thinking and problem solving. There are tremendous advantages to attending one in person. Personally, shying away from a single class because it might be harder is a little disheartening for someone planning for a career in medicine.

From a practical perspective, assuming that a school doesn't have specific rules about where pre-reqs are taken, it is unlikely most would notice or care.
 
Take it at the university because it'll be important for the MCAT. I took a hybrid physics course (part lecture, part online) at my college and I regretted it when I had to learn physics again for the MCAT and the most high yield topics (sound waves, fluid flow, optics) were brushed over in the watered down physics I took. Take the real deal and you won't regret it when you study for the MCAT.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took physics 1 online at my university however on my transcript there is no code stating that this was an online course. Is this a question that appears on AMCAS? How would the admissions committee know if the course was online?

Thanks.
 
Unfortunately, I received two B's in Physics I and II. But. As @mimelim mentions, being there in person proves to help you out big time.

I vote go in person.