Physics before or after applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sustudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys I have a question....I am a sophomore and have taken Gen Bio and Gen Chem along with Calc I. I plan to take O-Chem my Jr year and Physics my Sr year and I plan to apply to dental school during my Jr year so I can see if I got accepted Sr year. Since Physics is a Pre-requisite, do you think I should take it before I apply or can I take it after I apply to dental school. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you're science GPA is good apply in between your junior and senior. Take Physics your senior year since you don't need it on the DAT. However I needed a little boost in the BCP GPA so I took them :) I was averaging As in Chem and Bs in Bio needed something to raise it, so physics worked great. Good luck to you

I took mine before hand too. Some schools like to see that you have all the prereq's out of the way, but just as long as you finish everything b4 matriculation it shouldn't matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied my junior year when i was in my first semester of organic chem and physics, I was accepted to multiple schools. I also took my DAT with out even taking organic chem yet, I just bought a organic chem review book and learned it. I am currently in my second semester of organic chem and physics and i'll be graduating in may, so an answer to your question is apply as early as you can for the 2008 cycle (may 15th) even if you are currently in those classes or haven't taken them yet. GL:thumbup:

I applied without taking any physics or my second semester of O. Chem and was accepted into multiple schools. Your other BCP grades are usually a good indicator of what you will do in physics so, if your grades are good enough, i would think you would get in anyways, but if your grades are so so, it could help you but the reality is that you probably won't do any better in physics then what you did in other classes.