Physics major med school admission chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treezy13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a current masters student at Georgetown University pursuing a degree in Physics with a GPA of 3.2 . In my undergraduate degree I obtained a GPA of 3.1 and I have not yet taken the MCAT and have a huge desire to be a doctor. Excluding my thesis research and EC's, what are my chances of getting in to a Top 20 medical school? Also, what do you suggest I do to make up for my deficiencies to possibly meet the admission standards of the schools I have inquired? Thanks please give me feed back if you can. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Moving to the "What are My Chances?" subforum, which is specifically for questions like these.

Honestly, that GPA is very low for the Top 20 schools, even for a hard major like Physics. You're going to find it very difficult to even get an interview there without a truly outstanding MCAT (37+) and some very good clinical experience.

Hello,

I am a current masters student at Georgetown University pursuing a degree in Physics with a GPA of 3.2 . In my undergraduate degree I obtained a GPA of 3.1 and I have not yet taken the MCAT and have a huge desire to be a doctor. Excluding my thesis research and EC's, what are my chances of getting in to a Top 20 medical school? Also, what do you suggest I do to make up for my deficiencies to possibly meet the admission standards of the schools I have inquired? Thanks please give me feed back if you can. :oops:

You received a GPA of 3.1 for your first degree? I'm confused.

I'd recommend getting a 37+ MCAT first, but honestly a 3.2 is lucky to get into medical school. If I remember correctly, the average successful applicant has a 3.61 GPA, so naturally you'd want a bit higher for better schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have no chance at a "top twenty" with such a low GPA. With a high MCAT score you might have a chance at an allopathic school somewhere.

With a GPA so low I do not think you are in any position to choose what medical school accepts you. Apply broadly, but don't consider "top" tier schools. You don't have a chance.

I appreciate the feedback, but do you all think the admission committee would consider a "low" GPA with a difficult major as a plus? Also, Georgetown is a "top" tier school, I would assume it would be a plus coming from such a remarkable institution with a low B average. Do you think these two questions the admission committee's will discuss? Please let me know.

With a GPA so low I do not think you are in any position to choose what medical school accepts you. Apply broadly, but don't consider "top" tier schools. You don't have a chance.

I am already at a top teir institution. I believe I still can apply to those institutions at the same level. Don't you? Thanks for your feedback.

No. Other people come from the same top institutions with significantly higher GPAs, so don't expect any type of forgiveness. You're going to have to get the GPA up almost no matter what.

No. Other people come from the same top institutions with significantly higher GPAs, so don't expect any type of forgiveness. You're going to have to get the GPA up almost no matter what.

They (the other students) are also not majoring in PHYSICS! Thanks for the feedback.

I appreciate the feedback, but do you all think the admission committee would consider a "low" GPA with a difficult major as a plus? Also, Georgetown is a "top" tier school, I would assume it would be a plus coming from such a remarkable institution with a low B average. Do you think these two questions the admission committee's will discuss? Please let me know.

I am already at a top teir institution. I believe I still can apply to those institutions at the same level. Don't you? Thanks for your feedback.

They (the other students) are also not majoring in PHYSICS! Thanks for the feedback.

The question of whether a school favors an applicant with high stats from a lower-tier school and/or with an "easier" major vs. an applicant with low stats from a high-tier school and/or with a "harder" major has been discussed at length. Categorically, the answer has always been that they weigh the bottom-line GPA much more importantly than your school or major. I'm not here to say that's fair or unfair, that's just the truth of the situation.

The fact is, while they'll note your major and your undergrad and it may give you a TINY advantage against someone with only a slightly higher GPA (think .05-.1 higher, max), on the whole they will take the 3.6 student with a Bio degree from the mid-tier university every time if all other things are equal. There are a bazilion applicants from even top-tier undergrads with 3.5+ GPAs every year, which will make it very hard for you to be competitive at almost any school without a great compensating MCAT and some truly inspiring ECs, and make it almost impossible at a Top 20.