Physics self study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mian97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi so I'm not Gona be able to take physics 2 before I take my mcat. My friend told me not much stuff from physics one carries over to 2, so I was thinking of studying some physics 2 this summer so when I start content reviewing for summer it won't be as hectic. How should I self study physics 2? I have AP physics review books lying around. Could I use those or should I go straight into the mcat physics books. I know nothing about physics 2.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I took physics II after the MCAT as well. I studied high yield Physics II topics from Kaplan MCAT books.

On test day, I did not encounter much physics at all, but the content I did see was mostly either physics 1 high yield or physics 2 high yield, still, it was very minimal.

If this is your only option, of all the classes to take after the MCAT, this one is the one to self study.
You will be okay :)

PM is you are still concerned and have questions

I'm in the same boat as you. It's definitely not too bad just don't be afraid to take it slower through learning it and look up khan academy videos if you like visualizations like I do.

I have AP physics review books lying around. Could I use those or should I go straight into the mcat physics books.

I would start with the AAMC Topic list and flag the physics topics that you don't recognize, then read the MCAT Physics books on those topics, using the AP Physics books for topics you still don't understand after reading your MCAT prep books. Check your understanding with the AAMC Physics QPacks and other practice passages. Remember that you won't need a deep understanding of these topics, just a basic knowledge of everything on the AAMC Topic list. The physics II problems I saw on my C/P section were very straightforward if you had a basic familiarity with the underlying concepts. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Khan Academy has great videos for Physics 2 topics. I think they are a great supplement to your primary content review. Do you have a book set you will use?

I haven't gotten that far, I'm taking my exam 2018 August. Physics and CARS will be my weak points cuz a) I'm horrible at English in general b) I won't be able to take physics 2 before I take the mcat

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Gotcha. My only recommendation would be to research the main options and find which works best for you. At the end of the day, I think advantages of each companies are overblown on this site.

Reason I asked was to emphasize having multiple sources (ie KA and book set) to help with review.