Physics timing tips please!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poppytart

strawberry that is
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any useful tips for keeping track of time in the physics section? I can sometimes be off by 10 to 15 minutes. I don't have a problem with timing in verbal or biology. I actually consistently finish verbal on time and finish biology with 20 minutes to spare. However, physics is my weakest section, and since I realize this I think I am spending too much time dwelling on questions. Physics is really hurting my score, it is 3 points lower than my other two sections :mad: !!

Does anyone have suggestions on how I can monitor my timing better? Should I do the independent questions first to boost my confidence? Is it a wise idea to skip around to passages that are easier and save the more difficult ones for last? I have tried doing the independent questions first and it really didn't make a big difference to me. I am also afraid of skipping around and accidentally messing up with filling in the answer key. This sucks! Any help and advice is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a review course right now, and they tell us to do the discrete questions first. They tend to be easier and take less time. You don't want to lose points because you didn't get to those. Also, it probably wouldn't hurt to look through the test for a few seconds and find passages on the topics you know. Do those first, and save the ones you don't really know for last, in case you can't spend as much time on them.

the key to scoring well on physics:

SPEND LITTLE TO NO TIME READING THE PASSAGE

skim the text so you have a general idea of the kind of questions you could be asked about (ie. circuits, waves, acids and bases... etc) but you do not need to understand every word let alone every sentence. instead, focus on understanding any graphs or equations you are given that stand alone - ie. are not part of a paragraph. these are typically important. I went from scoring 9's and 10's on PS to scoring a 13 on the real deal and this was due to nothing more than cutting out the useless time poring over the passage. REad Shrike's spiel about it in the physics FAQ's - it worked wonders for me.

jmnykrkts said:

skim the text so you have a general idea of the kind of questions you could be asked about (ie. circuits, waves, acids and bases... etc) but you do not need to understand every word let alone every sentence. instead, focus on understanding any graphs or equations you are given that stand alone - ie. are not part of a paragraph. these are typically important. I went from scoring 9's and 10's on PS to scoring a 13 on the real deal and this was due to nothing more than cutting out the useless time poring over the passage. REad Shrike's spiel about it in the physics FAQ's - it worked wonders for me.

dude i agree. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
here's the link:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=222481

post #9 refers specifically to what I'm talking about. His point about sticking with it even if it feels uncomfortable at first should be emphasized. I didn't adopt this strategy until I had gotten at least halfway through my practice tests so it felt really weird for me at first -- but it ended up being well worth it in the end

Another thing I found was that this strategy is a little more effective on the AAMC tests than Kaplan as the latter usually focused a bit more on the passage.

jmnykrkts said:

I couldn't agree more. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks for the advice! I just got done reading #9. Funny, this is exactly what my boyfriend does and I found it to be completely nonsensical when he first told me about it. I guess he must be doing something right because he is scoring in the double digits! I just figured that reading the passage would give you that extra confidence to tackle the questions...but my technique is obviously not working for me!

Is this advice just geared towards answering physics passages, or does it apply to g-chem and physics? I'm going to try this technique tomorrow with my TPR science workbook and then officially try it out this Friday on a practice test. I will be oh so so so happy if this technique boosts my score! Thanks again! :)

has anyone tried this strategy (not reading the passage but understanding graphs/tables/italics) in the biological sciences? does it work there too?

this strategy works for the entire PS section, gen chem included. It doesn't work for BS though, as those questions are more heavily passage-based. If you don't believe me, try it yourself and you will see how quickly your bio score plummets.

The caveat here is that if you are not all that comfortable with the PS material to begin with, this strategy realistically wont help much. By comfortable I mean that you should know which formula to apply to a particular question automatically. The only way for that to happen is of course lots of practice. But if you have practiced a lot and you do feel you know your stuff well but the timing thing is still breaking your balls, then this strategy should work wonders. And the good news is, the more comfortable you are with the material, the better it works.

good luck