Picking Up The Pieces

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scribe Stark

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to the site but I've been browsing for a while, reading pre-med problems similar to my own.

I'm a senior majoring in biology with a overall GPA of 2.77 . I need advice on what course I can take to get into medical school.

I've considered taking a extra undergrad semester to retake sciences courses that I have a C in.
Taking a break in between college and med school to gain experience by becoming a EMT.

Any advice is helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site but I've been browsing for a while, reading pre-med problems similar to my own.

I'm a senior majoring in biology with a overall GPA of 2.77 . I need advice on what course I can take to get into medical school.

I've considered taking a extra undergrad semester to retake sciences courses that I have a C in.
Taking a break in between college and med school to gain experience by becoming a EMT.

Any advice is helpful.

You have averaged a B- in an undergrad curriculum. Do you think that you will survive medical school, residency and beyond? We want good doctors, but that is impossible if you can't survive the training. If you are convinced that you are capable of doing that, then you need to demonstrate that to admissions committees. That means retaking poor grades, several semesters in a post-bacc or masters program.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should seek a special master's program in premedical studies or something similar. Your GPA is not terrible, but it isn't remotely competitive, either. It's very unlikely that you will be accepted anywhere based solely on your GPA. Your MCAT score may be your saving grace, if it's high enough—for when you do choose to apply.

If you want med school, you've got to start earning A's consistently. If you can pull off a major turnaround (a year or more of 3.8+ coursework), you will be in position to make more serious plans. This coming semester would be a good start, but you will likely require post-bacc work as well (formal or informal).

I think the first question you need to ask yourself is, "why is my GPA a 2.77 when I am thinking about medical school?"
Next, you can consider how to fix this issue.

As others have said, you need a higher GPA.

However, only a masters course or other graduate coursework will not make up for terrible pre-req grades. Those do not go away, simply because you did well in other classes. Taking a break in-between college and medical schools is extremely wise. In fact, you are a senior with a 2.7 GPA. You are going to end up having a gap year whether you like it or not. Possibly, more than one.

Retake your courses, and apply DO, since they are the ones that do grade replacement. If you want MD, you'd also have to go into a grad program to raise the GPA.

Additionally, EMS work will only help you if you've worked for greater than 6-7 months (after completing your course). Nobody is impressed by the certificate. It is also difficult to get a job on an ambulance. If you do, it'll most likely (actually, almost certainly) be a private company, transporting patients. HOWEVER: If your grades don't improve, then don't even bother. Undergrad pre-reqs are adorable, compared to medical school coursework. No way around a low GPA; retake courses, and hope to additionally raise GPA.

I suggest doing these and then thinking about a post-bac or SMP. You will need to ace these and the MCAT to be taken seriously by those MD schools that value reinvention.

Also suggest fixing whatever deficits you had that caused such poor performance.

I suggest doing these and then thinking about a post-bac or SMP. You will need to ace these and the MCAT to be taken seriously by those MD schools that value reinvention.

Also suggest fixing whatever deficits you had that caused such poor performance.

This, strongly. Treat the underlying disease causing your problems, not only the symptoms, OP.

Reactions: 1 user

Any advice is helpful.

OP, you are the definition of "fighting an uphill battle." If you have a shot at a chance to be a physician, I would frame Goro's advice, pray to it, and practice it if it were your religion.

Reactions: 1 user

Any advice is helpful.
If you are truly determined, I would recommend enrolling in an SMP. I've seen people with GPA's near yours enroll in an SMP, attain a 4.0 GPA and be admitted to US MD Programs. Simply retaking courses will not help you gain admissions into an MD Program. However, if you are shooting for DO, they do do grade replacement, so you could raise your GPA that way.

Depending upon what residency you choose, MD and DO are basically the same thing these days. Remember, the MCAT is serious business. It will be you one shot at showing Medical Schools you can do this. Don't fool around. Plan on taking it once and only once, and even then shoot for a 34+.