PICU Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MonkeyRalph

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Wondering if anyone's hearing back yet from PICU programs about fellowship interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

I just got one from UCSD, but I'm still waiting on 2 letters to be uploaded, so I think that's holding things up a bit for me. Glad there's another PICU person on here - I feel like we're a rare breed!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any updates? I still haven't heard from anyone...I applied early last week.

Just got UCLA and Cornell. UCSF sent me a message saying they're not reviewing applications until the end of August, so I wonder if other places are on that same timetable.

Hey guys,

New to the forum. Got 5 interviews so far (and two rejections, lol!). My MSPE is not uploaded yet, do you think that might be the problem? I applied last week, despite that.

Hey guys,

New to the forum. Got 5 interviews so far (and two rejections, lol!). My MSPE is not uploaded yet, do you think that might be the problem? I applied last week, despite that.

Wow - Congrats! I haven't heard much of anything -1 waitlist. Making me pretty nervous!
Where did you get interviews?
I don't think the MSPE matters to most programs, some only require a transcript.
Goodluck!

Hi,

I applied pretty extensively. Maybe thats why. I need an H1B visa, so didnt have a choice. I got '
'waitlisted' at Vanderbilt, got the e-mail today. Well lets see how things work out. Thanks, wish you guys good luck too.!

3 so far. Coastal programs seemingly slower on sending out invites, or is it just me?

(can this be moved to the NICU/PICU forum? maybe we'll get more responses/better feedback there?)

Last edited:
3 so far. Coastal programs seemingly slower on sending out invites, or is it just me?

(can this be moved to the NICU/PICU forum? maybe we'll get more responses/better feedback there?)
My guess is you'll get more responses here since the neo/CC/cards forum is a closed forum, and the readership here is more broad. The interview pool isn't that big each year, so a low "N" may be the reason for the number of responses. Actually, I thought there's a good number of replies already. Go PICU! Good luck everyone.

I've got a bunch so far, but the California programs (Stanford and UCSF) i haven't heard from. Nor have I heard from Cincinatti or UPMC.

But CHOP, Duke, UMichigan, the Wisconsin folks (Madison and Milwaukee), Lurie/Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Emory, Dupont and Seattle have all been extending interviews.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard from Utah, Denver, or Portland? I've only heard from Duke and Vanderbilt...and also haven't heard from any Cali programs.

My guess is you'll get more responses here since the neo/CC/cards forum is a closed forum, and the readership here is more broad. The interview pool isn't that big each year, so a low "N" may be the reason for the number of responses. Actually, I thought there's a good number of replies already. Go PICU! Good luck everyone.

Thanks Stitch.

Anyone heard from Utah, Denver, or Portland? I've only heard from Duke and Vanderbilt...and also haven't heard from any Cali programs.

Re: Cali programs - UCSD, Children's LA, and UCLA have all extended invites. UCSF sent out an email that invites will likely be sent at the end of August.

Do you think this means that if you haven't heard from a place that's already started extending interviews (i.e., CHLA), you probably won't get one? I'm trying to arrange travel right now and that's one of my top choices, so I'm not sure if I should gently remind them of my application or if I should just wait and see.

^ Tough to say. A better option might be to have your PCCM Division Chief/PD contact your fellowship program of choice. That reminder or nudge would probably do more than yours alone. Remember the circle of pediatric critical care is a relatively small one. Word of mouth helps (or so I think).

I've heard from most of the programs listed above (Stanford, UCLA, Columbia, Lurie, Michigan, WashU), but am still waiting on Children's National in DC, UCSF, CHLA. Anyone heard from them yet?

Ditto above. Any word from DC yet?

Friend of mine got PICU interview in Utah.

I've heard from Denver, Yale, MGH, Vandy, Duke, Baylor, Seattle, Stanford, Chicago, Michigan and Rainbow. UCSF, after prodding, notified me that I'm waitlisted for an interview.

A related question: which programs are considered extremely competitive vs not as much in terms of actually getting a spot after an interview? I have to limit my number of interviews because I'm based in subsaharan Africa (US citizen). I am trying to make sure I interview at a mix of programs so that I have a good chance of matching. I'm 5 years out of residency, haven't worked in the US for a couple of years, and don't really have someone I feel comfortable asking these type of questions.

I've heard from all the NYC area programs: Columbia, Cornell, Montefiore, NSLIJ/Cohen's

How many interviews do people usually go to?

All of you are a step ahead, so any advice before I do my applications for PICU fellowships next year
Good luck and courage

Interview season nearly over! Anyone else feel like they are going to have a tough time trying to decide how to rank?

Hi people! Good Luck to all during this season. I am an IMG planning to begin my residency next year in Peds. I am interested in PICU so I would like your advise since you are already done your specialty in Peds. For you, what's best in terms of getting a PICU fellowship and stay working here in USA. is it better to go for a community hospital and get an H1b or doing your residency in a big hospital/PICU with a J1 visa and applying for a waiver afterwards? Specifically for this fellowship, is it hard to get a spot if you are in a h1b visa ? I need your opinion since I need to do my ranking list and I have two hospitals with amazing PICUs but that only offer J1 and a lot of options of community hospitals with h1b. Thanks in advance.

Hello All, PICU Applicant for 2015 Season here - Wondering if anyone has heard anything from programs? (Wish we were able to tell which programs downloaded our applications :/ )

I know people have heard from Louisville, St. Louis (Wash U), Vanderbilt, Columbia, UNC, and CHLA.

I've heard from CHLA, UCLA, UCLA-Harbor, Children's Mercy, UT Houston, Texas Children's (Baylor), and Wash Univ with interview invitations. Any other updates from others? Thanks!

Buffalo, Montefiore and Vanderbilt so far for me

I know people have heard from Univ of Michigan, Medical college of wisconsin, memphis, phoenix, little rock, and UC San Diego