Piercing; Picture and Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takins33613

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you do if you have a fresh nose-piercing (barely 2 weeks old) and you have an interview coming up? If I take it out, it will probably either close back up and/or get infected. I am also very dark-skinned so, there are no skin-colored retainers for my skintone. What would you do if you were in my shoes?
Also, I have a school that requests a picture in the supplemental application package. Would it look bad on me if my nose piercing showed in the picture?

My only alternative (that I can think of) at this point is to wear a band-aid and attempt to color it with make-up that's my skin-color.
Below is a picture of the stud.

piercecrop.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

What do you do if you have a fresh nose-piercing (barely 2 weeks old) and you have an interview coming up? If I take it out, it will probably either close back up and/or get infected. I am also very dark-skinned so, there are no skin-colored retainers for my skintone. What would you do if you were in my shoes?
Also, I have a school that requests a picture in the supplemental application package. Would it look bad on me if my nose piercing showed in the picture?

My only alternative (that I can think of) at this point is to wear a band-aid and attempt to color it with make-up that's my skin-color.

piercecrop.jpg

I would say that it would be better to be honest about it than to cover it up and have them find out the truth later.

If you explain your situation, they might work with you to tell you what options you have about your piercing and what they might like for you to do with it.

This wasn't the best decision on your part to get the piercing right around the interview season.

I'd take it out and cover it up with HD makeup. Regardless of how you may feel about it, people interviewing you, most likely faculty or staff, may find it inappropriate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with cheb and passion.

I am a very open minded individual and I have interviewed 100+ people in business settings....but even so, when a person came in with hand or face tattoos or piercings I couldn't stop myself from labeling them as less mature, less reliable, and less professional.

I even felt bad about having those thoughts cross my mind because I know that this is not necessarily the case. But the fact that even I thought this made me wonder how these people are viewed by more conservative folks.

I would recommend checking the student handbook and reading up on their dress code. Some schools will not allow their students to have anything like that.

If you are really serious about Pharmacy you may just want to take it out and let the hole grow back together.

I'm with Cheb.

Nothing is more unprofessional than a piercing anywhere besides the ears (And even that, IMO, is stretching it).
Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with piercings. It's a form of free expression, just like tattoos. I understand you're required in a pediatric setting to "cover" up, but we're all adults... and it's JUST an interview. That stud isn't even BIG. I could see if she had like a nose loop ring and it was obviously. If you take it out now & cover it with makeup you risk drawing even more attention to it if it gets infected and scabs up. If I were you I'd buy some h2ocean so your nose heals quicker and the ring blends to your face. Also, you'll ALWAYS have that hole on your face, my mom pierced her nose @ like 20.. and not to giver her age away, but she STILL has a hole- which is noticeable.

Are you interviewing @ a "religious" school? In that sense if you ARE, disregard my previous statement because Christians are soooo set on not damaging your "temple".

I have my belly button and ears pierced and thinking of even getting a few dermals... and I don't see anything wrong with them. I don't wear half shirts and flaunt my piercing. As long as it's classy and tasteful people shouldn't have an issue with it.

It's mostly a personal thing. That's why it's always better to err on the side of professional and not taking any chances. What if you offend one of the AdComs? Well, that might be wrong relatively speaking (Let's not bring JS Mill in, please) but if you don't get in because of that, it does not matter one iota how unfair or whatever it is.

Then again, I'm more old-fashioned than other people my age. But, you did want opinions, so there's mine.

I think obvious piercings (aside from ears) and tats are tasteless and unprofessional. Go without it. Just my opinion.

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with piercings. It's a form of free expression, just like tattoos. I understand you're required in a pediatric setting to "cover" up, but we're all adults... and it's JUST an interview. That stud isn't even BIG. I could see if she had like a nose loop ring and it was obviously. If you take it out now & cover it with makeup you risk drawing even more attention to it if it gets infected and scabs up. If I were you I'd buy some h2ocean so your nose heals quicker and the ring blends to your face. Also, you'll ALWAYS have that hole on your face, my mom pierced her nose @ like 20.. and not to giver her age away, but she STILL has a hole- which is noticeable.

Are you interviewing @ a "religious" school? In that sense if you ARE, disregard my previous statement because Christians are soooo set on not damaging your "temple".

I have my belly button and ears pierced and thinking of even getting a few dermals... and I don't see anything wrong with them. I don't wear half shirts and flaunt my piercing. As long as it's classy and tasteful people shouldn't have an issue with it.

I have to disagree with you on the religious schools. I go to a very religious university in Texas where it is a requirement to have church every single day and some professors read the bible and pray in class. I have gotten used to it, which is ok. I see everyone walking around with piercings and they do not get into trouble because it is a "religious" school. They are free to express themselves and that is how the university perceives them. Of course, they do not condone premarital activities or other things like that, but piercings are fairly common. I do agree with the other posts and suggest that you take out your piercing. You want to become a health care professional and piercings are not professional at all, in my personal opinion. I had to take out my tongue ring and my navel ring before I started basic training in the Air Force almost 7 years ago.I was 17-young and silly. Never got it pierced again due to my passion for becoming a pharmacist and I think it is gross and unprofessional to have in your tongue while you are talking to patients. You will live, don't worry!

Take that **** out if you want to even have a chance. You can always get it repierced, but you are not going to have asecond chance here. How smart was it to get this when the possibility of getting an interview is tangible? Not smart at all....

I agree with everyone. As much as piercings are a form of expression, you don't want that to distract from the interview. What if you get an interviewer who is very traditional and not open-minded? He'll be staring at your piercing the entire time without even hearing what you have to say. I wouldn't risk my pharmacy school future for a piercing, that's for sure.

Just my opinion. Oh and congrats on getting the interview :)

try to imagine your doctor/pharmacist with a piercing/tattoo somewhere odd on their face, or in their mouth,nose whatever... donno dude..., call me a bad person but i dont think i'll go back to them ever again... earrings are ok

as far as interview goes, that thing is small, you might be able to get away with it, but you don't want it to speak for you

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the responses. The piercing is personal, and more that just some fancy decoration on my face. It is something that I did with my sisters. I was just asking in advance, I don't have an interview lined up yet, but I am anticipating interview invites in the near future.

I have been using h20cean several times a day, and been taking my multivitamins regularly too. I can barely even feel the piercing anymore meaning it has already healed from the outside, just need the inside to heal.

If I do have an interview, I will go to the piercer and have them help me remove it so I don't end up bruising it (they will do that for free), and go back after the interview to re-insert it.

thanks for the responses. The piercing is personal, and more that just some fancy decoration on my face. It is something that I did with my sisters. I was just asking in advance, I don't have an interview lined up yet, but I am anticipating interview invites in the near future.

I have been using h20cean several times a day, and been taking my multivitamins regularly too. I can barely even feel the piercing anymore meaning it has already healed from the outside, just need the inside to heal.

If I do have an interview, I will go to the piercer and have them help me remove it so I don't end up bruising it (they will do that for free), and go back after the interview to re-insert it.

That is a really good idea. It's not uncommon for women to have their nose pierced now a days. It's too bad the older folks don't find that very acceptable. If I was on adcoms I'd be cool with it. :D

Pharmacy is still a very conservative profession, at least at the academic level. Once you graduate, you can pretty well do anything with piercing that is an accepted norm like the little stud in the nose. If you're of Indian descent, you could get away with saying it is a cultural thing. If not, I'd take it out and get some neosporin and dope it up so it doesn't get infected. I know it's probably not the answer you want to hear, but you'd be better off with it not in for pictures and interviews.

Just remember, most of the people in your interview will be 40 + so you need to consider that. You might think it is cool and it means something to you, but what THEY think dictates your admittance. I would say at 40 + most people will be very conservative and view an ear piercing negatively. I personally don't think an ear piercing is bad at all, then again, I am not on an interviewing committee so that doesn't matter. It could be that you show up with the nose ring and nobody cares, or you show up and some of them take exception to it. Try to find out before your interview for some piece of mind like others have suggested. Good luck?

I got my nose pierced over a year ago and I have attended three interviews with a clear retainer in my piercing. You can't see it at all. I am not sure how much longer I am going to keep mine because I do agree that it isn't professional. I actually have an interview later on today and couldn't find the retainer, so I have to take it out and hope it doesn't close up right away. I got the piercing because three of my friends and I did it together because they were going away to school but like I said, it is unprofessional.

I got my nose pierced over a year ago and I have attended three interviews with a clear retainer in my piercing. You can't see it at all. I am not sure how much longer I am going to keep mine because I do agree that it isn't professional. I actually have an interview later on today and couldn't find the retainer, so I have to take it out and hope it doesn't close up right away. I got the piercing because three of my friends and I did it together because they were going away to school but like I said, it is unprofessional.

unfortunately, i haven't found any retainers for my skin tone, i'm too dark for that! lol!

I have a nose piercing as well.... however I have had mine for a year, so I was able to take my piercing out for my interviews. What you could do is go and get a small stud and put the stud portion in your nose and have the pointy part sticking out your hole. A short stud would be preferred because the pointy part will not really come out your hole. If you are able to cut the pointy part do so. But be very careful because this is a new piercing and the risk for infection is very high. Another alternative is take the piercing out and let it close and when fyour finished all your interviews get it done again its only $50- 75 dollars. Hope this helps. Goodluck with interviews!!!

unfortunately, i haven't found any retainers for my skin tone, i'm too dark for that! lol!

A clear one won't work? I am Spanish and tan and mine looks like nothing...

piercecrop.jpg

I got my nose pierced about 5 years ago and didn't even think about taking it out because I felt that as long as you look professional (hair/makeup/suit/shoes) then you're fine. If its a small stud then most people usually don't even notice. During your interview focus on being remembered as the interviewee that said "blah blah blah" and be remembered that way rather than "the girl with her nose pierced"

I wouldn't worry about the piercing too much just focus now on not letting it get infected and letting it heal. Mine took about 2 weeks before it stopped looking so "fresh" and I could change the stud.

Good luck!

I got my nose pierced about 5 years ago and didn't even think about taking it out because I felt that as long as you look professional (hair/makeup/suit/shoes) then you're fine. If its a small stud then most people usually don't even notice. During your interview focus on being remembered as the interviewee that said "blah blah blah" and be remembered that way rather than "the girl with her nose pierced"

I wouldn't worry about the piercing too much just focus now on not letting it get infected and letting it heal. Mine took about 2 weeks before it stopped looking so "fresh" and I could change the stud.

Good luck!

Not always. Even if you are dressed professionally, some people will remember only the piercing, and will forget everything else that you say.

Okay, I am sure you really know the answer to your question but you want someone to say otherwise. Remove the piercing, do your interviews, get it pierced again. The $20 bucks it costs to have it done is worth losing for your education.

The School of pharmacy I will be attending has a no visible tattoo policy and I believe a piercing policy as well, other than the ears. If you want to get into professional school, you better look like a professional.

Last edited:
If the piercing is a symbol of your culture, then I don't think it should be an issue at an interview. If it's only body decoration for you, either take it out or get a clear retainer. You are competing against several hundred other applicants who are just as qualified and want it just as badly as you do. Don't give the interviewers anything that will lower their impression of you, be it strong perfume, a piercing or heavy make up.

To answer your question, depends on the school. At UCSF, even the faculty have nose piercings--like the one who just won Teaching Professor of the Year here. ;) Lots of people here have piercings and tats and it's not an issue. Then again, this is SF. :)

If you know the school is on the conservative side, get the retainer. If not, as long as it's just a simple stud, you should be fine.

Pharmacy is still a very conservative profession, at least at the academic level. Once you graduate, you can pretty well do anything with piercing that is an accepted norm like the little stud in the nose. If you're of Indian descent, you could get away with saying it is a cultural thing. If not, I'd take it out and get some neosporin and dope it up so it doesn't get infected. I know it's probably not the answer you want to hear, but you'd be better off with it not in for pictures and interviews.

x2. Might as well take it out now.

I took out all of my "unsightly" piercings and the only visible one left is my "industrial" bar that goes across the top of my ear, which no one notices. My mother got her nose pierced and has been in constant battles with some managers who think its fine and some that dont. Shes a lab tech and doesnt even work directly with patients. Its seriously not worth the fight. Choose to express yourself in less obvious and more socially neutral ways. :(

Oh please. It's a piercing, stop acting like the OP carved a swastika into their forehead. IMO you should take it out, but don't put a band-aid on your nose if you do. A little blemish is a LOT less noticeable than a tan sticker in the middle of your face.

I would seriously consider my wanting to attend a school if they denied me on the grounds of appearance anyways.

I would seriously consider my wanting to attend a school if they denied me on the grounds of appearance anyways.

Interesting statement.

For undergraduate school, I'd tend to agree. But in a professional school, I think one should expect to dress and act appropriately, as one would in a professional setting.

Does Wag's allow its RPhs to have nose piercings? Just wondering.

Can't say I ever saw a doctor, nurse, resident, or pharmacist with a nose piercing. In fact, I haven't seen any visible tattoos, either.

I would seriously consider attending a school that accepted a student with no mention of removing it. Pharmacy school is supposed to prepare you for your future career, not baby you through your younger years of self mutilation.

I self mutilated, it was a blast. But once you get out into the real world you have to make tough choices....one of them is deciding if wearing a tshirt and jeans with a nose piercing everyday is more important to you than being a Pharmacist.

To answer your question, depends on the school. At UCSF, even the faculty have nose piercings--like the one who just won Teaching Professor of the Year here. ;) Lots of people here have piercings and tats and it's not an issue. Then again, this is SF. :)

If you know the school is on the conservative side, get the retainer. If not, as long as it's just a simple stud, you should be fine.

I have to agree... most places are way more conservative. I grew up in a place that is a lot like SF as far as that goes... and no one blinks an eye at stuff like that... I wouldn't be surprised if I walked into Walgreens and the pharmacist had little stars tattooed on their face, but the vast majority of places are different.

I'd take it out. When I was in high school a lot of girls got their belly buttons pierced right before cheerleading competitions and our coach took pliers to cut them off if they were screwed on too tightly. They cried, but it doesn't matter... if they're 'against the rules' unofficial or not, then you should err on the side of caution and remove it.

I would seriously consider attending a school that accepted a student with no mention of removing it. Pharmacy school is supposed to prepare you for your future career, not baby you through your younger years of self mutilation.

I self mutilated, it was a blast. But once you get out into the real world you have to make tough choices....one of them is deciding if wearing a tshirt and jeans with a nose piercing everyday is more important to you than being a Pharmacist.

If they don't make the cut-off there, what else are they going to accept? Green hair? Tattoos?

Would you really want to attend a school where students don't look professional?

dumb response. And i think you are unprofessional PERIOD.

If they don't make the cut-off there, what else are they going to accept? Green hair? Tattoos?

Would you really want to attend a school where students don't look professional?

Tattoos would be bad if they're visible, but a lot of people you would never guess have tattoos put them in places you would never ever see them. I know a lot of people get tattoos for people who passed away and stuff. My boyfriend has one over his heart, but you can't see it unless his shirt is off obviously. I think for girls it better to be even more conservative. I think getting a tattoo for something that is really really important to you is fine, but since I live in Florida I wear bathing suits a lot and I wouldn't even want mine to show at the beach because I plan on going to the beach even when I'm 30-40 years old. If I ever got a sunflower for my friend who passed away I would put it really low on my hip where even my bathing suit would cover it. I know a friend of mine has a really tiny star on her foot about 1 cm across too, and no one ever sees it.

It's JUST an interview at first. Then you realize that people who are talking to you are professionals. They are trying to see if you are willing to be a professional for the rest of your life, and if you can behave yourself while you are in school and being trained. The interview is a time to make a first impression, and if you cannot do it, then they will not choose you to be on of their professional students. There will be many more applicants who will be willing to be more professional.

The piercing would give them a reason to doubt the professionalism of the applicant and the potential student. If you remove the piercing, and even if it hurts or bleeds, you can explain that you were bleeding. You don't have to go into detail about how you removed a piercing, but just that you're treating yourself for an injury. That seems better than leaving a piercing on because you're afraid of the consequences when you take it out.

Tattoos would be bad if they're visible, but a lot of people you would never guess have tattoos put them in places you would never ever see them. I know a lot of people get tattoos for people who passed away and stuff. My boyfriend has one over his heart, but you can't see it unless his shirt is off obviously. I think for girls it better to be even more conservative. I think getting a tattoo for something that is really really important to you is fine, but since I live in Florida I wear bathing suits a lot and I wouldn't even want mine to show at the beach because I plan on going to the beach even when I'm 30-40 years old. If I ever got a sunflower for my friend who passed away I would put it really low on my hip where even my bathing suit would cover it. I know a friend of mine has a really tiny star on her foot about 1 cm across too, and no one ever sees it.

Since when do you use the metric system outside of work/lab/school? :laugh:

Since when do you use the metric system outside of work/lab/school? :laugh:

Always! I'm starting a revolution! :laugh:

It's about time we jump on the international bandwagon.

Work/Lab/School = My Life. :eek:

I love the metric system! I use it every time I can :)

1 inch is 2.54cm, so that, indeed, is a VERY small tattoo.

At that point, what's the point?

Yeah it is really small... it's really cute though if she's wearing open heels. If she's sitting down and you're close enough you can see it pretty clearly.

Her family is extremely conservative though and her dad flipped out when he saw it. I think some people want to experience how it feels to get a tattoo without actually having to really look at it everyday.

I love the metric system! I use it every time I can :)

1 inch is 2.54cm, so that, indeed, is a VERY small tattoo.

At that point, what's the point?

I thought she said 1 cm and not 1 inch, unless she edited her post :laugh:

Always! I'm starting a revolution! :laugh:

It's about time we jump on the international bandwagon.

Work/Lab/School = My Life. :eek:

It used to be work/lab/school with work and lab combined in undergrad, but now it's just school. That's where all of the pretty girls are :laugh: I guess I should stop. It's becoming a really bad addiction :laugh:

It used to be work/lab/school with work and lab combined in undergrad, but now it's just school. That's where all of the pretty girls are :laugh: I guess I should stop. It's becoming a really bad addiction :laugh:

Yeah you don't want to end up in rehab like Tiger Woods! Kidding! ;)

I said 1 cm... but he was just saying that you can fit 2.54 of them in one single inch so that is very small.

Yeah you don't want to end up in rehab like Tiger Woods! Kidding! ;)

:rofl:

I had no problem with staying committed to this one girl when we were together. It's kinda weird, but I just sort of lost interest in everyone else after we got together. I know other girls still looked the same to me, but I just decided to not do anything about it.

Interesting statement.

For undergraduate school, I'd tend to agree. But in a professional school, I think one should expect to dress and act appropriately, as one would in a professional setting.

Does Wag's allow its RPhs to have nose piercings? Just wondering.
I agree, which is why I recommended that the OP take out the piercing. My comment was referring to how the OP was worried about having a visible mark on his/her nose. I was saying if they rejected someone for something that silly, maybe that isn't the kind of school they should be attending anyways. I did not mean that everyone in pharm school should be able to have pink hair, ear gauges, and wear bathing suits.

LMAO- nobody in pharm school should have pink hair and ear gauges. Leave that up to the art students. I saw a girl that had garish makeup, some sort of piercing with bars in her neck, arm and ankle tattoos and a full back tattoo taking the PCAT. I was like W.T.F. Really?

dumb response. And i think you are unprofessional PERIOD.
I'm unprofessional? You're going to base YOUR opinions on me based off one post???

Haha nice try... get out of here.

So according to a lot of posters here, UCSF is unprofessional and sakigt would seriously consider attending this school.
I personally don't think the piercing is that jarring or noticeable. It's not like it's a big hoop.

Why take the risk? I would take it out for the interview and picture.

If you are really that concerned about it closing up, you could photoshop (airbrush out) the piercing for the picture, and then wait until the night before the interview to take it out. :idea:

So according to a lot of posters here, UCSF is unprofessional and sakigt would seriously consider attending this school.
I personally don't think the piercing is that jarring or noticeable. It's not like it's a big hoop.

That's poor inferential logic on your part. For once, this is San Francisco and people are a lot more metropolitan, liberal and culturally accepting than let's say a school in Mississipi. Secondly, when you interview you don't really know whether you will be interviewed by a 30 year old faculty member with more liberal views or by a 65 year old conservative dean for example. Why take a gamble ? For what ?