Piercing; Picture and Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's poor inferential logic on your part. For once, this is San Francisco and people are a lot more metropolitan, liberal and culturally accepting than let's say a school in Mississipi. Secondly, when you interview you don't really know whether you will be interviewed by a 30 year old faculty member with more liberal views or by a 65 year old conservative dean for example. Why take a gamble ? For what ?

People from MS are nice people. Well, at least the ones I met were really nice.

But yeah, I've heard that CA people tend to be a bit more liberal.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not saying they are bad people ;), I'm just saying that some states are generally more conservative than others and what may be appropriate here, may not be somewhere else.

My experience with some of the schools in the Midwest - an admissions counselor in Tennessee couldn't even decipher what I was saying, and I have a slight barely there accent. Also sounded almost disappointed when I said I graduated from college in San Francisco. I could only imagine if I showed up for an interview with a piercing.

I'm not saying they are bad people ;), I'm just saying that some states are generally more conservative than others and what may be appropriate here, may not be somewhere else.

My experience with some of the schools in the Midwest - an admissions counselor in Tennessee couldn't even decipher what I was saying, and I have a slight barely there accent. Also sounded almost disappointed when I said I graduated from college in San Francisco. I could only imagine if I showed up for an interview with a piercing.

Yeah. People in my class always complain about teachers with accents. It makes me wonder how they'll deal with patients who have accents.

Oh and if they can't understand anything that professor says (but I can, and I learn very well from them), they just blame it on the accent and the language barrier and those teachers not being able to get the point across. If the teachers can't get the point across, then how did I ever learn from them? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Why take the risk? I would take it out for the interview and picture.

If you are really that concerned about it closing up, you could photoshop (airbrush out) the piercing for the picture, and then wait until the night before the interview to take it out. :idea:

that's exactly what I am doing! :p

So according to a lot of posters here, UCSF is unprofessional and sakigt would seriously consider attending this school.
I personally don't think the piercing is that jarring or noticeable. It's not like it's a big hoop.

The fact is, the OP is concerned about how his/her school will react. You are not, lucky for you.

Theres a good chance that if you are concerned about your nose piercing its probably a good idea to take it out. There are cultural norms you need to be sensitive about when you are a PharmD student, if nose piercings is one, so sad, go to UCSF then....

The fact is, piercings and tattoos, while much more common, still have a stigma in the work environment. Period.

At my last interview, one girl had a Pink tongue piercing in during her interview! I loved it, but the interviewers probably had the opposite reaction I had, haahaa!

At my last interview, one girl had a Pink tongue piercing in during her interview! I loved it, but the interviewers probably had the opposite reaction I had, haahaa!

Grosssss. lol I don't care for tongue piercings, but they look WAY more unprofessional than a tiny nose stud.

I just took my earring and eyebrow ring out a few weeks ago right before my interview for a pharmacy tech position. I was offered the job on the spot! You can't have visible piercings/tattoos if you want to get a job in a well respected field. Just take them out.

I had my nose pierced when I was in college. I had it for 2-3 years and removed it after I graduated because I wanted to be taken seriously as a professional adult in the 'real world'.

Personally, I think it's small enough to not really matter, if your picture does it justice. There is a girl in my glass with a small piercing like that, and a faculty member as well who has a small nose piercing. My university is in a pretty conservative state...

Maybe it is better to err on the side of safety though.

I think piercings and tattoos are awesome and are a form of individual expression.

I know of at least three professors at my former undergraduate university that did stuff:
1.) One guy had both ears pierced with pretty decent sized loops in them
2.) One female professor tattoo'd a new chemical that her lab synthesized onto her shoulder
3.) One professor/lawyer had a gigantic body piece that stretched from ankle to neck (albeit he always wore dress shirts to school).

I do acknowledge that you should remove the piercings (similarly to me having to cover all my tattoos [which is obvious since I was in a suit]). But if you want to put that piercing back in afterwards, then more power to you.

Discover Magazine even has a whole blog dedicated to Scientific Tattoos

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/loom/science-tattoo-emporium/

Members don't see this ad :)
I think piercings and tattoos are awesome and are a form of individual expression.

I totally agree. I personally don't judge people based on them. However, let's face it, the majority of the 'fogies' out there that will judge applicants at these interviews will be turned off at the sight of them. That's just how it is.:lame:

I totally agree. I personally don't judge people based on them. However, let's face it, the majority of the 'fogies' out there that will judge applicants at these interviews will be turned off at the sight of them. That's just how it is.:lame:

Trust me, I totally understand and agree.

It's quite sad though since Barney did teach us to not judge others on skin-deep appearances.

Maybe the future Pharma's like ourselves can change this "mold" that has lingered for so long and bring in some new vibes.

I mean come on, if other degree's are going to equate a PharmD to a Master's program (since pre-req's + pharm school = 6 years), then we should at least be bad-*insert word for rear end here*-es

I just don't like all the facial piercings and whole arm tattoos.

Maybe society IS going downhill. When all the professionals either dress like hookers or mutilate their bodies, there will be no turning back :) LOL

There is no maybe.

Society IS going downhill.

It's only a matter of time. All the greatest, most advanced civilizations in their time have fallen. Entropy kinda dictates it, right? We can only hope it won't be in our lifetimes, though. And if it truly does fall, at least I have a lot of firepower.

Seeing as how I double majored in biochem and history as an undergrad... what era in time do you feel we should go back to since you say society is going downhill?

from what I recall, life expectancy and overall quality of life is way up now then anytime in the past.

if you're speaking of religion/morality, then maybe you guys are telling us we should go back to the days of the cavemen and worshiped fire? Maybe living the good 'ol life of the Puritans and giving fire-and-brimstone style sermons at Church? Or the Salem witch trials? :rolleyes:

What makes this country and many democracies in the world great is the fact that individual expression is allowed.

The fact is, your grandparents probably thought that society was degrading when your parents were growing up, and etc.

And to rxlea, the definition of mutilation is to disfigure ones body in a grotesque manner. I recall many tattoos to be artful in some sense; I dont imagine the process somehow making us grow a few more body parts or having any internals showing :laugh:.

You know society is going downhill when kids apply to jobs typing LieK DIs or writing their application like they're sending a text message. There's just no excuse for that.

You know society is going downhill when kids apply to jobs typing LieK DIs or writing their application like they're sending a text message. There's just no excuse for that.

Lol... Do people really do that? That's pathetic yet hilarious.

I liked looking at the science tattoos... I thought the four finches were pretty awesome. I'm more traditional as a girl, I don't really want any odd piercings or ink on my body but I certainly appreciate other people with cool stuff if that's what they're comfortable with. The craziest thing I have is a belly button ring, but no one sees it unless I'm at the beach or something.

It also means to irreparably damage body parts which numerous facial piercings and tattoos will do (since you can't remove tattoos without scarring and all). But, you can feel about it however you want and you don't have to be an ass about it. I am simply sharing my opinion. Facial piercings and arm sleeves look gross and I am not the only one that feels this way.

I agree with P4sci, society is on its way downhill...not unlike the Romans.