Pitt essay-ethical moral dilemna

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joanofarc0907

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

For this secondary I am having a little problem. I can't figure out if this topic for my ethical/moral dilemna is appropriate. Sophmore year of highschool during a bomb threat, my friend skipped school by having another friend pick him up from where we were standing and drive away. My Mom worked at the school at the time and I went over to tell her what happened. My teacher overheard the conversation and asked what the name of the friend was. I told him his name was Brandon, but I didn't tell him his last name because I still wanted to be loyal to my friend and not get him in trouble. I guess the moral/ethical dilemna I had was to tell the truth and get him in trouble for skipping school during an emergency situation or to be loyal to him as a friend and protect him from getting into trouble. Obviously I kind of went in between and offered up enough information that the teacher could have figured out who it was if he tried, but not give in completely and tell his last name. I dunno if this situation will look bad or not. Any comments are highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

No offense, but this sounds boring. Do you have anything from college? Maybe a work experience or something a little more professional?

Ohhh crap what an awful essay prompt. :eek:

joanofarc0907 said:
Hey guys,

For this secondary I am having a little problem. I can't figure out if this topic for my ethical/moral dilemna is appropriate. Sophmore year of highschool during a bomb threat, my friend skipped school by having another friend pick him up from where we were standing and drive away. My Mom worked at the school at the time and I went over to tell her what happened. My teacher overheard the conversation and asked what the name of the friend was. I told him his name was Brandon, but I didn't tell him his last name because I still wanted to be loyal to my friend and not get him in trouble. I guess the moral/ethical dilemna I had was to tell the truth and get him in trouble for skipping school during an emergency situation or to be loyal to him as a friend and protect him from getting into trouble. Obviously I kind of went in between and offered up enough information that the teacher could have figured out who it was if he tried, but not give in completely and tell his last name. I dunno if this situation will look bad or not. Any comments are highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
hermit said:
No offense, but this sounds boring. Do you have anything from college? Maybe a work experience or something a little more professional?

Yeah, please don't use this. Dig deep, I'm sure you'll remember something more grown up.

Since I won't have to do this prompt, I'll share my example: A good friend in college used to do tons of free (and paid) tutoring, would go out of his way to help someone, was the perfect premed, and could only be descriced as "the nicest guy". Got into the presidency of a club and turned into a total two-face continuing his philanthropic efforts outwardly but stealing money from the club and being super shady to run around with girls and buy nice phones behind everyone's back. He was NOT my friend anymore. I never understood the total 180 he did, but word got out and he resigned from office before he could be impeached citing discord among the officers (which was caused by him!). Intentions to pursue legal action fizzled. I couldn't stand to think that he would get away without a single record of this, so I eventually brought it up to a counselor even though I wasn't directly involved and didn't have actual proof in hand (hence, dilemma). So that's being pursued ... Plus he's applying to med school this cycle!! I felt it was my mission to not let this slimeball slip by adcom's unexposed (he is very good at appearing to be good). I would NEVER want such a corrupt person to be in a position to care for others or even claim to be doing so. :mad: Don't use my example or be like him, karma'll bite you in the a$$.

I thought it was bad, but my mom got it stuck in my head as the only thing I could think of for it. Thanks for the advice

These prompts are ridiculous. The truly good answers are most likely exaggerated or made up. So what exactly are they trying to get out of us?

I looked at other threads, but I wasn't able to figure out how many characters this prompt is. Is it only 250 characters? A moral dilemma, explain and analyze in like 3 lines :laugh:

Darkshooter326 said:
I looked at other threads, but I wasn't able to figure out how many characters this prompt is. Is it only 250 characters? A moral dilemma, explain and analyze in like 3 lines :laugh:

It's 250 words, more reasonable :laugh:

Darkshooter326 said:
It's 250 words, more reasonable :laugh:

yeah but its still pretty bad. not to mention the fact that it is really hard to come up with something that isn't a complete lie

joanofarc0907 said:
yeah but its still pretty bad. not to mention the fact that it is really hard to come up with something that isn't a complete lie

Try to think of something that happened at work. A lot of dillemas occur in the work place. :luck:

yeah I have an idea...I haven't put it on paper yet though, I'm trying to finish up the EVMS secondary right now