Pitt vs Cooper

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted915325

I have multiple acceptances and need to decide. I like both schools. Hopefully you all can provide your thoughts!

Cooper Pros: close to where I grew up; much cheaper; great community; new school, meaning lots of opportunity to be a leader and shine; opportunities to improve the region where I grew up, which desperately needs it; I have connections of all kinds in the area.

Pitt: Its Pitt; went to undgrad here; worked at UPMC for a couple years after undergrad and have many connections within the institution.

As an aside, I have a strong research background and would like to continue pursuing research. Pitt is obviously better for research within itself. However, cooper embraces inter institutional collaboration for their students and CHOP (and Penn) is right across the Delaware river, and I have some connections there as well (co-authors on a couple earlier publications). Also note that I am not entirely research oriented. I am very good with people and in the clinic. Thus, my research career would be clinical or transnational in nature, not basic.

Have at it with your strong opinions, fellow posters.

Members don't see this ad.

My vote goes to Pitt unless the COA difference is massive. Pitt has amazing research funding and a great reputation, both of which are significant benefits over Cooper.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't say I disagree with pmlmu13. But.....

I would venture to guess that you will not have a problem in terms of residency choices or research opportunities no matter where you go. In your situation, I think you gotta go with your gut. The way I see it, for you to have this much of a problem deciding between Pitt (I mean, come on, it's Pitt) and Cooper (arguably a "low-tier" school) really says something about what you truly want.

Reactions: 1 users
I have multiple acceptances and need to decide. I like both schools. Hopefully you all can provide your thoughts!

Cooper Pros: close to where I grew up; much cheaper; great community; new school, meaning lots of opportunity to be a leader and shine; opportunities to improve the region where I grew up, which desperately needs it; I have connections of all kinds in the area.

Pitt: Its Pitt; went to undgrad here; worked at UPMC for a couple years after undergrad and have many connections within the institution.

As an aside, I have a strong research background and would like to continue pursuing research. Pitt is obviously better for research within itself. However, cooper embraces inter institutional collaboration for their students and CHOP (and Penn) is right across the Delaware river, and I have some connections there as well (co-authors on a couple earlier publications). Also note that I am not entirely research oriented. I am very good with people and in the clinic. Thus, my research career would be clinical or transnational in nature, not basic.

Have at it with your strong opinions, fellow posters.
Pitt > Cooper

Members don't see this ad :)
pretty much this.

Thanks so much for your feedback everyone! The difference in COA would be quite substantial. I would be living with family if I went to Cooper, so all said, I would save ~90-100K.

As a curve ball, I recently interviewed at Temple and felt like the interview went very well. Once again, Temple is about 30 mins from my hometown and I would be saving a lot of money on living expenses and would be close to the ones I care about most. If I were accepted to Temple, how would you all rank the three choices, in your own personal opinions (be honest)?

Thanks so much for your feedback everyone! The difference in COA would be quite substantial. I would be living with family if I went to Cooper, so all said, I would save ~90-100K.

As a curve ball, I recently interviewed at Temple and felt like the interview went very well. Once again, Temple is about 30 mins from my hometown and I would be saving a lot of money on living expenses and would be close to the ones I care about most. If I were accepted to Temple, how would you all rank the three choices, in your own personal opinions (be honest)?

Pitt is an amazing med school. I'm saying this as someone who was rejected there this year. There isn't really any comparison between Temple/Cooper and Pitt IMO. It's not so much that you won't have similar opportunities for success at Temple or Cooper, but you'll have to work harder to get them. And since you got into Pitt, you've probably already worked pretty hard. Why not reap the benefits, rather than starting all over again?

Also, forgive my ignorance, but isn’t Pittsburgh pretty close to philly? Not too far from family, and you can aim to get back to philly easily from Pitt.

But honestly you could get a residency at cooper or Thomas Jefferson easily from cooper, so I’m not sure. Go with what your gut is telling you! Pitt is an AMAZING school, but cooper is solid and has a great mission.

Also, forgive my ignorance, but isn’t Pittsburgh pretty close to philly? Not too far from family, and you can aim to get back to philly easily from Pitt.

But honestly you could get a residency at cooper or Thomas Jefferson easily from cooper, so I’m not sure. Go with what your gut is telling you! Pitt is an AMAZING school, but cooper is solid and has a great mission.

Noooooo. It's in the same state, but they're definitely not close. You cannot "easily" get from Philly to Pitt. Unless you want to break sound barriers along the way. PA is not as big as MT, but it's still big.

If you want to continue to pursue research during your career, I would go to Pitt. The opportunites there are elite (I say mired on their waitlist)

Unless you really, really wanted to stay near home for some reason. But I suspect that if youre already seriously considering Pitt, thats not the case.