Pittsburgh second round of acceptances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
didn't i tell you guys that rose made all the calls on friday! lol i think she owed it to us to call everyone asap since we've been waiting forever... two weeks will take forever to go by..

I'll try to ask her tomorrow to get some info for you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Pitt was my only interview and is my first choice.

sdu, how are you so sure?

VicViper to the rescue.

i called her that friday to find out as to when we would be hearing about any acceptances or rejections.

Members don't see this ad :)
As previously stated, the recently accepted applicants only have 15 days to respond so some spots will become open. In addition, there will be applicants who have paid a deposit and will get into a school they would rather attend from the waitlist, thus backing out of Pittsburgh. There is still some hope! Good Luck

My interview was on 2/8. My AADSAS status changed to 'Received/Under Review' on 2/22/2010. No call was made- anyone else?

Last edited:
Hey guys, just talked to Rose a few minutes ago, and she said that all of the acceptances from last week have already been notified. Don't give up all hope yet though, as has been said before, there is a 15 day period to take the acceptance, and some people will undoubtedly turn down the offer, so look for possible calls in the next few weeks. We had people get accepted all the way up to the first week of school, so it does happen all of the time.

my aadsas status changed to application denied..

my aadsas status changed to application denied..

I'm very sorry to hear that..
When was your interview?

I guess they do reject some interviewees...

Mine was changed to "wait listed" yesterday..

i called her that friday to find out as to when we would be hearing about any acceptances or rejections.

Sdu, just wondering did you get the acceptance?

I wonder if they have some kind of priority list for those wait listed..

There is priority for those waitlisted. I just spoke with Dr. Etzel and he said that he believes that if a spot become open the waitlistees will get the spot (said he would have to confirm that with Rose). People who are under review still have a shot but it all depends on how many people decline their offers I suppose. Good Luck

There is priority for those waitlisted. I just spoke with Dr. Etzel and he said that he believes that if a spot become open the waitlistees will get the spot (said he would have to confirm that with Rose). People who are under review still have a shot but it all depends on how many people decline their offers I suppose. Good Luck

So just to clarify-- what you're saying is that, as spots become available, applicants who are waitlisted get priority over applicants who are 'under review' on AADSAS status?

Sigh, this is SO stressful!

Members don't see this ad :)

Does that mean "wait listed" people have less chance than those still "under review"?:(

I would think that since all the offers have been given out, those who have not been denied, are in fact on a waitlist. Maybe the fact that some are "waitlist" and "Received/Under Review" is because they just have not updated everyone's AADSAS status?

I would not think that some are still under review, whereas others are on a waitlist.

I would think that since all the offers have been given out, those who have not been denied, are in fact on a waitlist. Maybe the fact that some are "waitlist" and "Received/Under Review" is because they just have not updated everyone's AADSAS status?

I would not think that some are still under review, whereas others are on a waitlist.
agreed

nope.. im in the same boat as you all.. still waiting, it still says under review, so i'll be looking out in 2 weeks. I'm just as bummed as some of you.. Ah welll. Just gotta stay positive. :)

Does that mean "wait listed" people have less chance than those still "under review"?:(

No, I am saying wait list means you have been accepted pending an available spot.

Under review means you are still in limbo and have not been waitlisted or rejected. These are the people who have to wait longer to see how this plays out

The committee met last Thursday. They made offers for the spots left open. They made a waitlist so as to have a "second string." They deemed these applicants acceptable to be admitted and will wait to see which already accepted students decline. After the ppl offered admissions decline, they will extend more offers to the waitlistees. Then, they will make more ppl under review waitlistees. The cycle will repeat until all spots are filled. I am under review btw so I am not biased, this is just my understanding of the situation per my conversation with Dr. Etzel.

The committee met last Thursday. They made offers for the spots left open. They made a waitlist so as to have a "second string." They deemed these applicants acceptable to be admitted and will wait to see which already accepted students decline. After the ppl offered admissions decline, they will extend more offers to the waitlistees. Then, they will make more ppl under review waitlistees. The cycle will repeat until all spots are filled. I am under review btw so I am not biased, this is just my understanding of the situation per my conversation with Dr. Etzel.

that sucks.. :-/

Thanks for sharing the info!!

I def. agree with your logic, at least I hope that to be true.

But on the other hand, one may think that those who are "under review" are actually being considered to be put on the top of the list still and those "waitlisted" have simply been put into the bottom...

I might give Rose a call tomorrow to see which is the case..
Either way, we will have to wait AT LEAST two weeks.
Then, we will see.

Good luck everyone!!!

hey guys, not to beat a dead horse but i took the quote below from the other thread. sounds to me like its possible that some people have decisions that just weren't updated yet by aadsas. we shall see...

"....She said that the admissions committee met this last thursday and that it may take a week or so for aadsas to update their decisions...."

has anyone called and been able to verify the information posted by predoctalk?

has anyone called and been able to verify the information posted by predoctalk?

I corresponded with Dr. Etzel via email this morning to officially withdraw my application because I felt it at this point it was in my best interest to attend a different school. He told me that it was likely a good decision because I was not among the next round of offers (ie people waitlisted now). I'm not sure if this verifies what you are asking, but my AADSAS says "under review"...

I'm not saying that accepance at this point is not possible, I just think it is an uncertainty and could drag out for months. But, waitlist is preferential.

I corresponded with Dr. Etzel via email this morning to officially withdraw my application because I felt it at this point it was in my best interest to attend a different school. He told me that it was likely a good decision because I was not among the next round of offers (ie people waitlisted now). I'm not sure if this verifies what you are asking, but my AADSAS says "under review"...

I'm not saying that accepance at this point is not possible, I just think it is an uncertainty and could drag out for months. But, waitlist is preferential.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!

I am one of the students that was placed on the waitlist via aadsas so that is good news for me.

i was accepted monday via aadsas. i will not definitely not be attending pitt so another spot from the waitlist should hopefully open up.

Thanks for the sharing the info again..

Just curious, would you have attended pitt if you had gotten in?

So did anyone else get the email from rose today explaining where they are at in the acceptances? There were a few good things to take away from it i guess. First, she mentions that they only send out small batches to get a feel for who will accept their offers. Also, i think we were a little confused on the waitlist thing (myself included). Her quote makes it sound like if you are still under review then you have first opportunity to fill an open spot, while if you are waitlisted you only get acceptance after the under review students. Don't quote me on this, but thats just the way i read it. Here is what she wrote:

"The Admissions Committee will differentiate between applicants who will ultimately be placed on a wait list and those to whom admissions will be offered should seats be available in the near future. This has not, for the most part, been decided upon yet."

So did anyone else get the email from rose today explaining where they are at in the acceptances? There were a few good things to take away from it i guess. First, she mentions that they only send out small batches to get a feel for who will accept their offers. Also, i think we were a little confused on the waitlist thing (myself included). Her quote makes it sound like if you are still under review then you have first opportunity to fill an open spot, while if you are waitlisted you only get acceptance after the under review students. Don't quote me on this, but thats just the way i read it. Here is what she wrote:

"The Admissions Committee will differentiate between applicants who will ultimately be placed on a wait list and those to whom admissions will be offered should seats be available in the near future. This has not, for the most part, been decided upon yet."
i agree. that's what i took away from it....i think????

I didn't receive any email today
booo:(

Do you mind posting the email in it entirety?

moz-screenshot.png
I have received requests for information from many of you regarding admissions. I want to keep lines of communication open so that you aren’t getting inaccurate news from the various applicant websites.

The Admissions Committee has met, and the initial Spring semester offers have been made. As we discussed at the interview session, we do Spring offers in small batches so that we do not overfill the class. Your application is, at this time, very much under consideration. As responses come in, we will reassess how many seats are still open, and we will send offers to the next group.

The Admissions Committee will differentiate between applicants who will ultimately be placed on a wait list and those to whom admissions will be offered should seats be available in the near future. This has not, for the most part, been decided upon yet.

I understand that you are all feeling the pressure of finding the exact fit for you, and that many of you have been offered seats in other schools. At this point, all that I can advise is that if you have a concrete offer, think long and hard before turning it down, as we cannot determine how many or how soon offers will be extended.

Please know that the Admissions Committee meets often and is aware that this is a significant life changing event. If you have questions, don’t hesitate to email me. Phone calls are difficult at this time, but both Dr. Etzel and I are committed to keeping you in the loop. I sincerely hope that you will have good news from us in the near future.

Sincerely,
Rose Mangold

Here is the email....

I have received requests for information from many of you regarding admissions. I want to keep lines of communication open so that you aren't getting inaccurate news from the various applicant websites.

The Admissions Committee has met, and the initial Spring semester offers have been made. As we discussed at the interview session, we do Spring offers in small batches so that we do not overfill the class. Your application is, at this time, very much under consideration. As responses come in, we will reassess how many seats are still open, and we will send offers to the next group.

The Admissions Committee will differentiate between applicants who will ultimately be placed on a wait list and those to whom admissions will be offered should seats be available in the near future. This has not, for the most part, been decided upon yet.

I understand that you are all feeling the pressure of finding the exact fit for you, and that many of you have been offered seats in other schools. At this point, all that I can advise is that if you have a concrete offer, think long and hard before turning it down, as we cannot determine how many or how soon offers will be extended.

Please know that the Admissions Committee meets often and is aware that this is a significant life changing event. If you have questions, don't hesitate to email me. Phone calls are difficult at this time, but both Dr. Etzel and I are committed to keeping you in the loop. I sincerely hope that you will have good news from us in the near future.

Sincerely,

Rose Mangold

Here is the email....

I have received requests for information from many of you regarding admissions. I want to keep lines of communication open so that you aren’t getting inaccurate news from the various applicant websites.

Please know that the Admissions Committee meets often and is aware that this is a significant life changing event. If you have questions, don’t hesitate to email me. Phone calls are difficult at this time, but both Dr. Etzel and I are committed to keeping you in the loop. I sincerely hope that you will have good news from us in the near future.

Sincerely,

Rose Mangold

So whats the point of the waitlist if being put on the waitlist means you are no longer being considered for review? That makes no sense to me. Why wouldn't they just send out rejections?

Its weird I never got this e-mail either. Maybe she is sending it in batches.

So whats the point of the waitlist if being put on the waitlist means you are no longer being considered for review? That makes no sense to me. Why wouldn't they just send out rejections?

Its weird I never got this e-mail either. Maybe she is sending it in batches.
it sounds like people who got "waitlisted" did not get this email...

Yeah i gathered from the email, that those on review are still waitin to hear either acceptances or waitlisted or rejections. maybe we need more clarification..

Yeah it sounds to me like

"under review" = those who would get the next round of acceptance.
"wait listed" = pretty much rejected (considering waitlistee would be considered after all those "under review" will be accepted, which will never happen)

It also made sense that she didn't send out the email to me (I'm wait listed..)

I'm very sad to learn that but at least I don't have to have my false hope up.:(

Good luck to the rest of you guys!

Hey guys, i got in to pitt as well and i am planning on attending this school. i had a quick question regarding fafsa. when is the deadline to fill out the fafsa? if anyone knows could you post the reply or pm me. thx
congrats to everyone who's in. looking forward to meeting you guys in june at the orientation.

Congrats! I believe that the FAFSA deadline is tomorrow (Monday). I am scrambling to do mine too. I would jump on the website and get it done ASAP!

Congrats! I believe that the FAFSA deadline is tomorrow (Monday). I am scrambling to do mine too. I would jump on the website and get it done ASAP!

whaaaat? i just checked pitt's site and it says to have it done by april 30th.

I stand corrected. I was talking to a friend of mine who stated hers is Monday (different state). Good call.

hey guys-

can anyone tell me when orientation is?
or better, where i can find a general academic calendar online?
should i have gotten something in the mail regarding a schedule?
i can't find anything online and i haven't heard anything from the school yet so...i'd just like a ballpark idea of when everything is gonna start

hey guys-

can anyone tell me when orientation is?
or better, where i can find a general academic calendar online?
should i have gotten something in the mail regarding a schedule?
i can't find anything online and i haven't heard anything from the school yet so...i'd just like a ballpark idea of when everything is gonna start

Hmmm......did u get an acceptance packet in the mail?

Pitt actually has two orientations, one in June and one in August, the week before school starts. Ours was either the first or second week of June, they'll send you more info about the exact date when it gets closer. This can really bite into your schedule if you're on a quarter system, the June orientation made me miss the entire week of lectures before finals week of my last quarter.

The first orientation in June is there so you can find an apartment while they're still available for August openings, and so you can take care of a bunch of other clerical stuff like insurance, financial aid info, etc. The August Orientation is really your meat and potatoes orientation where you get all of your equipment and everything else. The August orientation is usually the last week of August, and we started classes this year on Aug 31st.

the first orientation is thurs/fri of the first week of June

the first orientation is thurs/fri of the first week of June

hm....still haven't gotten my packet but i believe it's on the way....
luckily got the forms from rose and mailed my deposit so hopefully that wont be a huge problem...

but question- is the first orientation for 2 days only? how does this work?? i know it's more so that we can take care of some housing/documentation business but is this mandatory? and do ppl usually just stay at a hotel for the first orientation?

when was the deadline to pay your deposit or give the reply accepting your invitation?

hm....still haven't gotten my packet but i believe it's on the way....
luckily got the forms from rose and mailed my deposit so hopefully that wont be a huge problem...

but question- is the first orientation for 2 days only? how does this work?? i know it's more so that we can take care of some housing/documentation business but is this mandatory? and do ppl usually just stay at a hotel for the first orientation?

i have no idea. i still havent received the information package yet. In my deposit confirmation email, it just stated that the orientation was thurs/fri so im guessing it's just two days?? yea im assuming pple just stay at hotels

Yeah, it was just two days, but plan on getting there a few days early, or to stay the weekend, because you're going to need time to find an apartment. Since many apartment companies are closed on Saturday or Sunday without a previous appointment, I'd suggest getting there on Monday to start looking.