Plagiarized. Should I drop with a W?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You report that plagiarism, and you will never become a physician in this life.

Suck it up, be glad you got away with it, and move on if you still want a chance at a career in medicine.

EDIT: if you reworded it, it's not plagiarism.

Suck it up, be glad you got away with it, and move on if you still want a chance at a career in medicine.

Actually rewording is plagiarism by all academic standards. (Citation, citation, citation) The rules have become much stricter. Nevertheless OP shouldn't say anything.

Members don't see this ad :)

Well there's the Caribbean. :rolleyes:

Actually rewording is plagiarism by all academic standards. (Citation, citation, citation) The rules have become much stricter. Nevertheless OP shouldn't say anything.

Interesting... I would love to go back in time and see what college students are now doing in English classes. I also wonder what "rewording" means. Does it mean changing a few words around after pasting the paragraph? Or is it using the paragraph as a template to compose your very own but very similar paragraph from scratch? Hmm...

Ah, that age-old conundrum...if a spouse cheats and feels SO guilty about it they resolve to never ever do it again, who would they really be doing a favor by confessing? The ****olded partner...or themselves?

OP, I lied on my app to get to JHU, and I got guilty and confessed. Was an agonizing process. But guess how much better it made me feel to have confessed?

...NOT AT ALL. You will STILL regret this - I still regret cheating, even though I know I didn't reap any ill-gotten gains because of my confession. So turning yourself in will not help you, and as everyone else has said, it will substantially harm your chances at med school (you'd still have some, but not everywhere, and it would be an uphill battle - my situation, basically). Learn your lesson, and lay low. If you feel bad about the grade you will ultimately receive in the course being too high, maybe deliberately sabotage a later assignment to offset this one?

The only thing i'm worried about is getting caught after I finish and pass the course with a letter grade.
Is there a possibility that my instructor could find out about the plagiarism years later after I transfer to a uni and graduate? I don't want to risk getting my degree revoked or anything. Maybe i'm just paranoid right now..

Well there's the Caribbean. :rolleyes:

Interesting... I would love to go back in time and see what college students are now doing in English classes. I also wonder what "rewording" means. Does it mean changing a few words around after pasting the paragraph? Or is it using the paragraph as a template to compose your very own but very similar paragraph from scratch? Hmm...
The plagiarism modules we were required to take had every type of rewording you can imagine as plagiarism if there was no credit given. Paraphrasing, replacing important words, switching order etc, if you read anything and took ideas from it you must cite it. The only thing that could be reused without citation, according to my university, is jargon related to what you are writing about.

The only thing i'm worried about is getting caught after I finish and pass the course with a letter grade.
Is there a possibility that my instructor could find out about the plagiarism years later after I transfer to a uni and graduate? I don't want to risk getting my degree revoked or anything. Maybe i'm just paranoid right now..

You are paranoid.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

I suggest you keep your mouth shut, and tell nobody about your copying. If you tell somebody who cares (like a peer), then you instructors will have motivation to go after you, if you get ratted out. (This includes contacting a Moderator to delete this thread.....maybe)

Turnitin is THIER FAILSAFE. In fact, in my senior year of high school, everyone had to write a long-*** paper. My friend couldn't write worth ****, and he happened to speak Spanish. So, I told him to go to an essay website in Spanish. He translated the paper from Spanish to English....and he had his foolproof paper. Turnitin couldn't catch it. Turnitin is bull***** if you know what you are doing, however educators love it for whatever reason.

Engineering students copy HW problems out of the solutions manuals all the time, for example, and they are getting PROFESSIONAL degrees.

tl;dr CHILL OUT, and TELL NOBODY

(sorry if this isn't coherent. I had a procedure with sedation today.)

This is definitely neuroticism to the max. I don't think the professor would look at this assignment even a day after grading it, unless there was some enormous cheating scandal. Once you've graduated, you got your final grades, and everything is done. I don't see, once again, why a professor is going to randomly go over an assignment from years ago. Plus what are they going to do, revoke your degree? They had their chance, they used turnitin.com, and everything checked out.

The plagiarism modules we were required to take had every type of rewording you can imagine as plagiarism if there was no credit given. Paraphrasing, replacing important words, switching order etc, if you read anything and took ideas from it you must cite it. The only thing that could be reused without citation, according to my university, is jargon related to what you are writing about.

Wow crazy! I took one English class in college, and we were only expected to cite direct quotes. This is also what I remember from high school. If you're writing on a topic that requires extensive research on a subject you know nothing about, how in the world are you supposed to write anything without literally citing every single sentence?! :eek: :confused:

You are paranoid.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

I suggest you keep your mouth shut, and tell nobody about your copying. If you tell somebody who cares (like a peer), then you instructors will have motivation to go after you, if you get ratted out. (This includes contacting a Moderator to delete this thread.....maybe)

Turnitin is THIER FAILSAFE. In fact, in my senior year of high school, everyone had to write a long-*** paper. My friend couldn't write worth ****, and he happened to speak Spanish. So, I told him to go to an essay website in Spanish. He translated the paper from Spanish to English....and he had his foolproof paper. Turnitin couldn't catch it. Turnitin is bull***** if you know what you are doing, however educators love it for whatever reason.

Engineering students copy HW problems out of the solutions manuals all the time, for example, and they are getting PROFESSIONAL degrees.

tl;dr CHILL OUT, and TELL NOBODY

(sorry if this isn't coherent. I had a procedure with sedation today.)

Wow! That's the most creative thing I've seen in a long while!

There's also custom paper writers. One of my friends actually does that on the side. I read horror stories about those custom papers you pay dearly for being plagiarized themselves! I have also read about people spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars for legit papers that get high marks, even for dissertations and what not! :wow:

This is definitely neuroticism to the max. I don't think the professor would look at this assignment even a day after grading it, unless there was some enormous cheating scandal. Once you've graduated, you got your final grades, and everything is done. I don't see, once again, why a professor is going to randomly go over an assignment from years ago. Plus what are they going to do, revoke your degree? They had their chance, they used turnitin.com, and everything checked out.

Wow crazy! I took one English class in college, and we were only expected to cite direct quotes. This is also what I remember from high school. If you're writing on a topic that requires extensive research on a subject you know nothing about, how in the world are you supposed to write anything without literally citing every single sentence?! :eek: :confused:

Wow! That's the most creative thing I've seen in a long while!

There's also custom paper writers. One of my friends actually does that on the side. I read horror stories about those custom papers you pay dearly for being plagiarized themselves! I have also read about people spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars for legit papers that get high marks, even for dissertations and what not! :wow:

I remember in the residency forums reading a thread where someone paid money to have someone write their 1 page personal statement. This situation wasn't a happy ending, as the paper was poorly written and they were ripped off. But, I have heard from friends who know people who pay lots of money for custom papers like you mentioned...crazy stuff.

Common sense would say that telling a teacher that you plagerized is not a smart move. I'm shocked that anyone would contemplate doing something like this. As long as you learned you're lesson and won't do it again, leave it at that. If you're compelled to do something, just withdraw.