Plasma donation as an EC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GonnaBeADocOneDay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I donate blood plasma twice a week and I am questioning whether I should put it down as an EC on my app. I spend around 4 hours a week to do it (for over 2 years now) and get paid each time. I am just questioning it because it does seem like such a shadeball thing. Many of the clientle are unemployed and just generally unsavory characters that I would not necessarily wanted to be grouped with. I donate because the plasma is used to make human medications and I think it is kind of neat to contribute to medicine in this way, plus the extra cash really helps. I am just concerned with the conotation of listing it as an EC. So what says SDN?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is not what the section wants when it says to write your "activities."

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I donate blood plasma twice a week and I am questioning whether I should put it down as an EC on my app. I spend around 4 hours a week to do it (for over 2 years now) and get paid each time. I am just questioning it because it does seem like such a shadeball thing. Many of the clientle are unemployed and just generally unsavory characters that I would not necessarily wanted to be grouped with. I donate because the plasma is used to make human medications and I think it is kind of neat to contribute to medicine in this way, plus the extra cash really helps. I am just concerned with the conotation of listing it as an EC. So what says SDN?

That would not be an EC. Maybe you could find somewhere else to mention if others confirm that it would even be a good idea, which I really don't think it would be.

No.

Let's be honest here - college kids donate plasma for beer, food and more beer. At least that's what the conception will be.

I wouldn't list it under employment either.

Reactions: 2 users
Let's be honest here - college kids donate plasma for beer, food and more beer. At least that's what the conception will be.

I'm a non-trad almost 10 years out of undergrad, so that might allow me to dodge this interpretation. However, this is why I asked as I was afraid of the connotation. But you know, if you should put down stuff like fishing and running marathons as ECs, I don't see how it is terribly far off as being categorized as an EC. I do spend time doing it and get paid.

I'm a non-trad almost 10 years out of undergrad, so that might allow me to dodge this interpretation. However, this is why I asked as I was afraid of the connotation. But you know, if you should put down stuff like fishing and running marathons as ECs, I don't see how it is terribly far off as being categorized as an EC. I do spend time doing it and get paid.

"Well I'm a passionate student who enjoys tennis, tutoring underprivileged children and getting paid for my plasma!"

I'm sorry but it's not just another EC.

Reactions: 3 users
Did you really just compare training for and completing in a marathon to donating plasma?

And most people who write about fishing will probably talk about the life lessons learned and draw analogies from the activity. I have a hard time believing donating plasma falls under this realm.

Haha life lessons from fishing? I like that. ;)

I have learned a lot about the donation process and medication manufacturing from plasma. It has actually been quite an interesting experience. Anyway, thanks for y'all's answers, I was leaning this way anyway. It would just be fluff anyway because I have extensive additional ECs listed. Thanks!

Do yourself a favor and go read 'A River Runs Through It'

I think that it is employment but sort of like babysitting on Saturday nights... you spend time doing it and get paid but it might not be something you should list on your application if you are a non-trad trying to be taken seriously as an applicant for professional school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I wouldn't list, especially if your ECs are already plentiful.
But on another note, I would hate to think adcoms would jump to such a conclusion so rashly. I am downright offended by the thought that for all the talk of "knowing what you're getting into" to appeal to adcoms that they themselves might dismiss a candidate based on prejudice.
OP states he's learned about the process & the medications. I'd be a lot more willing to believe he's honestly interesting in enriching himself & helping people, rather than just getting beer money, as opposed to somebody that lists a low-skill job like fast-food or retail. I'm sure many applicants list such things. I wouldn't throw plasma donation on there due to the obvious stigma, but is it really so much worse??

Are you serious? Low-skill jobs are usually elements of applications that reflect work ethic and paying one's way through college. And thus, are very crucial elements to one's application. Why do you think Harvard's secondary specifically asks for 'hours of employment' per year of undergrad?

Working a fast food restaurant job while going to school >>> donating plasma 2-4 hours a week while going to school.

Edit: Assuming you come with all the other pre-med 'bells and whistles' (High MCAT/GPA, research fellowships, publications & presentations, teaching & tutoring, athletic/recreational activities)

Last edited:
Having worked a 'low-skill' job throughout most of my undergrad, it's insulting that you would throw the two activities in the same arena.

But on another note, I would hate to think adcoms would jump to such a conclusion so rashly. I am downright offended by the thought that for all the talk of "knowing what you're getting into" to appeal to adcoms that they themselves might dismiss a candidate based on prejudice.
OP states he's learned about the process & the medications. I'd be a lot more willing to believe he's honestly interesting in enriching himself & helping people, rather than just getting beer money, as opposed to somebody that lists a low-skill job like fast-food or retail. I'm sure many applicants list such things. I wouldn't throw plasma donation on there due to the obvious stigma, but is it really so much worse??

But a low skill job/ retail involves actual work.. Selling your plasma doesn't really show any sort of work ethic, ability to work with customers or anything else. It requires zero skills and little effort. It takes more effort to sell your old TV on craigslist ffs, should I list that for an EC?

Having worked a 'low-skill' job throughout most of my undergrad, it's insulting that you would throw the two activities in the same arena.

@Wildhorse has clearly never worked a "low skill" job before. I worked at a fast food place for 1.5 months this summer. Not at all as much expereince as many others must have with such work, but I would humbly share my perspective:

Likening such work to sitting with an IV for a couple hours each week is absolutely an insulting comparison. It is so difficult to work a mentally atrophic, crushingly dull, service oriented job like that. I would recommend that everyone do it at some point though, because it a) lights a fire in you to succeed b) teaches you how to convincingly act like you are of subordinate status to customers, how to sincerely call someone sir, and convey compelling respect etc which are in my opinion very valuable skills, and c) puts into perspective the privileges you may have that position you to not have to do such work for your entire life.

Last edited:

Please don't get your panties all in a twist! The fact that you belittle what I do with my time (even though I think it has merit) with the fact that you have worked a menial job shows how little you understand. If you think you are getting more brownie points because you worked at McDonald's or some other retail job, you will likely be sadly mistaken. While adcoms want you to show an accounting for your hours, the fact that you worked a "low skill job" will have no benefit unless you can speak to something you have taken away from it. You seem to have taken away quite the chip on your shoulder from your experience.

you might as well be a sperm donor and claim that as an extracurricular/community service.

lets see how well that goes over

I would advise against listing it in your ECs, but you could probably mention it in the PS or in a secondary essay about why you feel like donating plasma is helping you learn about medicine.

Please don't get your panties all in a twist! The fact that you belittle what I do with my time (even though I think it has merit) with the fact that you have worked a menial job shows how little you understand. If you think you are getting more brownie points because you worked at McDonald's or some other retail job, you will likely be sadly mistaken. While adcoms want you to show an accounting for your hours, the fact that you worked a "low skill job" will have no benefit unless you can speak to something you have taken away from it. You seem to have taken away quite the chip on your shoulder from your experience.

Are you trolling right now? I think you're looking at low-skill employment from the wrong angle. It's not the foundation of an application. I would argue that someone who puts in 20-30 hours a week at McDonalds with similar stats and ECs as you might be looked at more favorably. Especially if employment provided a means to pay for one's education.

Honestly @HarryH00d is right though. I have never worked a low skill or retail job before but even I see the merit that can bring to an app. It's all about work ethic, dealing with co workers, dealing with people. Being able to come in whenever you want and sell plasma is just not the same thing. You are completely wrong if you think that someone who worked a good amount of hours each week at mcdonalds shouldn't add that to their app. YOU are the one who isn't getting it.. Some schools even specifically ASK for any non medical related jobs you have worked throughout college if they aren't listed on your app. 90% of the time those are going to be low skill.

If you found your experience selling plasma so interesting, you should consider getting a part time job as a phlebotomist there.. THAT you could add as an EC. What company is it? Biolife? Chances are you could get a job working very few hours per week there.

Are you trolling right now? I think you're looking at low-skill employment from the wrong angle. It's not the foundation of an application. I would argue that someone who puts in 20-30 hours a week at McDonalds with similar stats and ECs as you might be looked at more favorably. Especially if employment provided a means to pay for one's education.

Working 25 hours a week at McDonalds to make ends meet absolutely 100% belongs on a med school application to give perspective on how you spent your time and where your priorities are. There are absolutely ADCOMs who like to ask have you ever worked in a restaurant before or along those lines(I know this is also something the Q and A with a Loyola ADCOM brought up as well).

The key point is what LizzyM said. You want to be taken seriously for a med school application. Listing something like this makes it harder to be taken seriously.

Also, consider that many adcoms may have worked such jobs at some point and thus know and likely respect people who have done the same. I know that if I were ever an adcom I would look favorably on work experience at McDonalds, for example. Not because it's highly impressive but because it increases the likelihood that I'm dealing with a grounded person, and because any shared experience with adcoms is a plus.

The title of this thread is positively classic

But a low skill job/ retail involves actual work.. Selling your plasma doesn't really show any sort of work ethic, ability to work with customers or anything else. It requires zero skills and little effort. It takes more effort to sell your old TV on craigslist ffs, should I list that for an EC?

No effort, but it is a time investment, for whatever that's worth. I concede this is a fair point, but a rather weak one, as the vast majority of applicants will have done similar jobs, whether they list them or not, & for one's that don't list, I would think it will probably be assumed to be implied. I don't think it will set your application apart, it'll just look like fluff. Am I wrong about this?? Do many have no jobs through school??

@Wildhorse has clearly never worked a "low skill" job before. I worked at a fast food place for 1.5 months this summer. Not at all as much expereince as many others must have with such work, but I would humbly share my perspective:

I considered being a walmart janitor pretty low-skill.

Aside from point a, I believe this is stuff every teen goes through.

[QUOTE="Axes, post: 16761587, member: 648769"]Also, consider that many adcoms may have worked such jobs at some point and thus know and likely respect people who have done the same. I know that if I were ever an adcom I would look favorably on work experience at McDonalds, for example. Not because it's highly impressive but because it increases the likelihood that I'm dealing with a grounded person, and because any shared experience with adcoms is a plus.[/QUOTE]

This is a solid point.

No effort, but it is a time investment, for whatever that's worth. I concede this is a fair point, but a rather weak one, as the vast majority of applicants will have done similar jobs, whether they list them or not, & for one's that don't list, I would think it will probably be assumed to be implied. I don't think it will set your application apart, it'll just look like fluff. Am I wrong about this?? Do many have no jobs through school??

I considered being a walmart janitor pretty low-skill.

Aside from point a, I believe this is stuff every teen goes through.

This is a solid point.

No, believe or not, many people grow up without ever having to work throughout school. I have a fortunate background that enabled me to not work at all if I didn't want to and still graduate debt free. I still DID, but it was just less than 10 hours a week as an O-Chem tutor. Not everyone does do work in college, so it is generally worth mentioning. I've also never worked for minimum wage, I've had three jobs throughout college/ summer, all better than minimum wage. So I'm an example of one of those.

This has got to be a joke....

In life sometimes people need to work whatever job comes their way to support themselves through school. Setting aside the skills you can learn in entry level positions (patience in customer service, management and delegation, specialized skillsets), doing these types of work helps build personal character. You get a chance to interact with people from diverse backgrounds. Taking the time to understand and communicate with coworkers and fostering a team environment is critical in any work environment, let alone medicine..... you aren't just going to be dealing with sophisticated people all the time. In short, those that do work "low skill jobs" (I can't even fathom this derogatory name) can gain a lot from those experiences, some of which (not necessarily all) are relevant in medicine.

It's also as if people are only doing those types of jobs. I worked at Save on Foods for over 8 years from high school till the end of graduate school and was involved in many aspects of the store's operations. During that time I did research projects, taught class, volunteered etc, while being in school. Not everyone working those jobs are pigeon holed into just doing that.

Here's another thing that always bothered me... why the F@#$ do we need to earn brownie points on everything we do? I have lots of hobbies, but on the application I certainly didn't write them all. I filled it up with enough things I care about and got amazing guidance from friends and colleagues. Not everything in your life during this journey has to be just to hit a checklist for medical school admission (though some people are only motivated by that and like to play the game.... I don't and yet I still did fine).

Your post is quite insulting and is bound to stir up emotional responses from people, so you shouldn't expect not to be insulted back.

I may be wrong, but you sound quite entitled and probably never had to work one of these types of jobs before. Not sure why you have to knock the people that did.

No, believe or not, many people grow up without ever having to work throughout school. I have a fortunate background that enabled me to not work at all if I didn't want to and still graduate debt free. I still DID, but it was just less than 10 hours a week as an O-Chem tutor. Not everyone does do work in college, so it is generally worth mentioning. I've also never worked for minimum wage, I've had three jobs throughout college/ summer, all better than minimum wage. So I'm an example of one of those.

I never worked for minimum wage either. Believe it or not, being a walmart janitor (at least at my store) paid slightly more than min.
I know not everyone works in college, but I've never met a premed that didn't, even if they didn't necessarily need to.
But being a tutor shows a whole different skill set, skills not everyone can do. I believe it shows all the skills of customer service that might be applicable to a doctor, plus more. I tutored too & consider it a nice addition to my app. I hope to never list my job as a janitor as a reason to select me for anything else ever again.

"low skill jobs" (I can't even fathom this derogatory name

I actually thought that was a relatively nice term when I first used it in this thread. I've had to define my parents as "unskilled laborers" on drop-down menus for official forms. I was actually quite surprised that the AMCAS app didn't offer that option. I suppose I should've used "service occupations" instead.

How about you learn to respect people who work these "low skill" jobs rather than belittling them just bc you might become a doctor someday. Higher education does not give you the right to degrade other human beings. Seriously hope you are trolling.

Reactions: 4 users
I never worked for minimum wage either. Believe it or not, being a walmart janitor (at least at my store) paid slightly more than min.
I know not everyone works in college, but I've never met a premed that didn't, even if they didn't necessarily need to.
But being a tutor shows a whole different skill set, skills not everyone can do. I believe it shows all the skills of customer service that might be applicable to a doctor, plus more. I tutored too & consider it a nice addition to my app. I hope to never list my job as a janitor as a reason to select me for anything else ever again.

I actually thought that was a relatively nice term when I first used it in this thread. I've had to define my parents as "unskilled laborers" on drop-down menus for official forms. I was actually quite surprised that the AMCAS app didn't offer that option. I suppose I should've used "service occupations" instead.

This is the same issue with other labels..... mental person, underprivileged people etc ... it's all relative.... what right do we have to call someone "underprivileged?" They have less material goods? less opportunities? grew up in a place without running water? That's why I shift most of my wording to things like well-being, or diverse communities.

Service occupations is actually much better... unskilled laborers? really? they have no skill? ... what about low skill workers? lower skill maybe (and that's a big if) but the skill sets are different. The fact that we define things like customer service or register operations as "low skill" is degrading.

Personally I disliked a lot of the AMCAS manual's language and it just goes to show that these labels are continuously being stereotyped and passed on... which is a real shame. People wonder why things like mental illness is not something you want to mention in a health care profession.... these negative connotations haven't changed.

This is the same issue with other labels..... mental person, underprivileged people etc ... it's all relative.... what right do we have to call someone "underprivileged?" They have less material goods? less opportunities? grew up in a place without running water? That's why I shift most of my wording to things like well-being, or diverse communities.

Service occupations is actually much better... unskilled laborers? really? they have no skill? ... what about low skill workers? lower skill maybe (and that's a big if) but the skill sets are different. The fact that we define things like customer service or register operations as "low skill" is degrading.

Personally I disliked a lot of the AMCAS manual's language and it just goes to show that these labels are continuously being stereotyped and passed on... which is a real shame. People wonder why things like mental illness is not something you want to mention in a health care profession.... these negative connotations haven't changed.
Hahah how about "resident aliens" for immigrants on visa

How about you learn to respect people who work these "low skill" jobs rather than belittling them just bc you might become a doctor someday. Higher education does not give you the right to degrade other human beings. Seriously hope you are trolling.

His previous post combined with his original question already highlighted his character.... nothing we say will make him change who he is and his viewpoints (however shallow they may be).

We just have to do the best with what we have around us. Try to inspire and motivate others by giving it our best and our passion+skill will come through. I think businesses have got this right... successful branding is when even though others don't buy the product, they know what your company does.... it's the same with people. Others will recognize skill and passion through actions. No point getting too worked up.

I think you should absolutely list it as an EC. You should also mark it as most meaningful.

You should also list "Telling People What's What on SDN."

You have no idea my background and should not assume to know. You have no idea how many menial/low paying/ low skill jobs I have had or how I view the work I have done. My point was that just because you work such a job, does not necessarily mean that you glean the virtues of hard work, persistance, interpersonal skills and the like. While the pre-med who can speak to their low skill jobs as allowing them to acquire such a perspective, a low skill job in of itself is not all that worthy. I don't think everyone who works one is necessarily equiped or able to become a successful physician. They are not mutually exclusive.

I think you should absolutely list it as an EC. You should also mark it as most meaningful.

You should also list "Telling People What's What on SDN."

Thanks for your helpful post! I will take it into consideration! :rolleyes:

I think OP has gotten the point and I doubt has any chance of adding it to their app after everything that's been said. We did it SDN! No need to continue attacking him.

I think OP has gotten the point and I doubt has any chance of adding it to their app after everything that's been said. We did it SDN! No need to continue attacking him.

Thank you for pointing this out! It is actually found in Post #11 of this thread. It was an off the cuff question. I have more than enough stuff on my app and my experiences over wide ranges, so no worries. It doesn't add anything to my app, so it will be left off.

End thread/

So no more :flame:? Aw man ok

Status
Not open for further replies.