Please ease my fears about anesthesia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bottom line is IMG applicants need a stellar application to get an Anesthesiology residency as their Match rate is low vs USA med school counterparts.

Members don't see this ad.

I ran the numbers on all IMG Match rates for Anesthesiology. I assume some of the data is slightly inaccurate but I still come up with a very low match rate in the 11%-15% range. This means getting any Anesthesiology position as an IMG is truly an accomplishment in 2019 and 2020.

1567883995076.png

The year 2019 marks an overall 18.8 percent decline in matched candidates who graduated from non-U.S. medical schools, compared to 2017, and is the lowest observed to date. There were 216 (11.7 percent) matched candidates who graduated from non-U.S. medical schools in 2019, compared to 266 (16.0 percent) candidates in 2017.

Members don't see this ad :)
I ran the numbers on all IMG Match rates for Anesthesiology. I assume some of the data is slightly inaccurate but I still come up with a very low match rate in the 11%-15% range. This means getting any Anesthesiology position as an IMG is truly an accomplishment in 2019 and 2020.

View attachment 279287
Some of them took out of match positions. Nevertheless, very low percentage.

What is US grad in the international/others category? They did not match in the previous year, switched specialities, or did something else after graduation?

Some of them took out of match positions. Nevertheless, very low percentage.

What is US grad in the international/others category? They did not match in the previous year, switched specialities, or did something else after graduation?

We agree the data is incomplete and perhaps, the true match rate for IMGs is 15-20% when we include out of Match positions. But, that is still very low.

USA grad in international/other: did not match, switched specialties, research year, took family leave, spent time overseas, etc.

I already know about all the awesome things about anesthesia but attendings or senior residents, would you be able to address some of my concerns?

1. How much does supervising cRNAs suck?
2. I am interested in either CC or peds fellowship. Recently I heard there is projection in 2025 to be an oversupply of CC trained physicians....???? should I be concerned?
3. Is the job market as bad as radiology (as far as cycles go)?
4. would you still recommend the field to your child (if you have one) or someone else close to you?

This is my response to the OP. What are your options for a specialty? The MATCH is very competitive these days. I have been around a long time and will answer 1-4:

1. Depends on the CRNA and the ratio. If the ratio is 1:3 or less then most days are fine. The more critical the case like Cardiac or Peds then 1:2 so you are involved more with the cases. If you don't want to supervise/direct then head West so you can do your own cases.

2. No. This country needs all the ICU trained physicians it can get. The population is aging and getting sicker. You will be dual trained in ICU and Anesthesiology. Pediatrics is a little different as I recommend an Academic job. Those who do Peds hearts or Peds ICU plus Anesthesia won't have any problem finding jobs.

3. There are plenty of jobs available. The issue is many are employee positions at the lower end of the pay scale. I urge fellowships and academia over employee jobs working for large corporations.

4. My answer may surprise many of you. I do recommend the field but only if one is willing to do 1 or 2 fellowships for an academic career. I would never recommend the field as it exists today for a private practice track. For those who can't or won't do academics then the next best bet is a hospital employed position. Again, I still think this specialty is an option but only with 1-2 fellowships ( way above the level of Nurse Anesthesiologists).

Reactions: 1 user
This is my response to the OP. What are your options for a specialty? The MATCH is very competitive these days. I have been around a long time and will answer 1-4:

1. Depends on the CRNA and the ratio. If the ratio is 1:3 or less then most days are fine. The more critical the case like Cardiac or Peds then 1:2 so you are involved more with the cases. If you don't want to supervise/direct then head West so you can do your own cases.

2. No. This country needs all the ICU trained physicians it can get. The population is aging and getting sicker. You will be dual trained in ICU and Anesthesiology. Pediatrics is a little different as I recommend an Academic job. Those who do Peds hearts or Peds ICU plus Anesthesia won't have any problem finding jobs.

3. There are plenty of jobs available. The issue is many are employee positions at the lower end of the pay scale. I urge fellowships and academia over employee jobs working for large corporations.

4. My answer may surprise many of you. I do recommend the field but only if one is willing to do 1 or 2 fellowships for an academic career. I would never recommend the field as it exists today for a private practice track. For those who can't or won't do academics then the next best bet is a hospital employed position. Again, I still think this specialty is an option but only with 1-2 fellowships ( way above the level of Nurse Anesthesiologists).

What's the general competitiveness of fellowships and which do you recommend? Is the life of an academic anesthesiologist significantly different than that of a hospital employee/PP? Pain seems interesting to me.

PNW and Cali seems to have some pretty good private-practice tracks, at least as far as I can tell from the Anesthesiologists I've spoken to out here.

What's the general competitiveness of fellowships and which do you recommend? Is the life of an academic anesthesiologist significantly different than that of a hospital employee/PP? Pain seems interesting to me.

PNW and Cali seems to have some pretty good private-practice tracks, at least as far as I can tell from the Anesthesiologists I've spoken to out here.

Most competitive to least (anecdotally):
Cardiac/Pain
Peds
ICU/OB/Regional
Other non-acgme BS* (peri-op, neuro, transplant, etc)

*the only potential exception to this in my mind is the Utah peri-op echo fellowship. Exposing my bias here as a cardiac/ICU guy, but if you can find a shop that will credential you to work in the echo lab part of the time, that’s pretty sweet.

Most competitive to least (anecdotally):
Cardiac/Pain
Peds
ICU/OB/Regional
Other non-acgme BS* (peri-op, neuro, transplant, etc)

*the only potential exception to this in my mind is the Utah peri-op echo fellowship. Exposing my bias here as a cardiac/ICU guy, but if you can find a shop that will credential you to work in the echo lab part of the time, that’s pretty sweet.

Recently many peds spots have remained vacant. That will probably change over time.

the only potential exception to this in my mind is the Utah peri-op echo fellowship. Exposing my bias here as a cardiac/ICU guy, but if you can find a shop that will credential you to work in the echo lab part of the time, that’s pretty sweet.

1) Finding such a job would be a true needle in a haystack. Maybe academics, but Cardiologists probably wouldn’t allow it.

2) This fellowship isnt ACGME certified (because it doesn’t meet the requirements for ACTA, straight up). Your echo board certification will almost certainly be denied as such. Getting a traditional cardiac job out of this could be tricky as well, depending on how desperate the group is.

The fellowship is definitely “cool” on the surface but in practice i just can’t see its usefulness.

Reactions: 2 users
1) Finding such a job would be a true needle in a haystack. Maybe academics, but Cardiologists probably wouldn’t allow it.

2) This fellowship isnt ACGME certified (because it doesn’t meet the requirements for ACTA, straight up). Your echo board certification will almost certainly be denied as such. Getting a traditional cardiac job out of this could be tricky as well, depending on how desperate the group is.

The fellowship is definitely “cool” on the surface but in practice i just can’t see its usefulness.

Yea that fellowship really raises some interesting questions. Many of the Utah ACTA faculty completed that fellowship and are testamurs in both the ASC and PTE, but presumably can't get certified because of the ACGME and/or duration requirements. They obviously can practice ACTA at U of Utah since they trained there, but it makes me wonder what would happen to them if they finished fellowship and then tried to get a job across the country where "cardiac fellowship trained and TEE certified" was a requirement...

Recently many peds spots have remained vacant. That will probably change over time.
Yeah, in like 30 years, when the current crop retires. Unless Roe v Wade is reversed, I don't see any reason for an increase in demand.

This is what overproduction does to a market, and most anesthesiologists (and other specialties with midlevel encroachment) are in planned continuous overproduction mode. Cheap replaceable cogs, not highly-valued physicians. Until the dust from the coming CRNA/midlevel independence settles down, I would be extremely cautious about betting my career and my family on such a specialty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, in like 30 years, when the current crop retires. Unless Roe v Wade is reversed, I don't see any reason for an increase in demand.

This is what overproduction does to a market, and most anesthesiologists (and other specialties with midlevel encroachment) are in planned continuous overproduction mode. Cheap replaceable cogs, not highly-valued physicians. Until the dust from the coming CRNA/midlevel independence settles down, I would be extremely cautious about betting my career and my family on such a specialty.

What’s wrong with current PP tracks? I’ve had some pretty decent offers. 400s to 600s with decent call and vacation.

Members don't see this ad :)
What’s wrong with current PP tracks? I’ve had some pretty decent offers. 400s to 600s with decent call and vacation.

The log term security of private practice isn't what it used to be. IMHO, a newly minted PGY-1 will do better over the next 30 years in academics provided he/she has done a fellowship and is willing to publish a few articles.

If you are fortunate to find a good PP job with a real partnership then certainly consider it.

Reactions: 1 users
The log term security of private practice isn't what it used to be. IMHO, a newly minted PGY-1 will do better over the next 30 years in academics provided he/she has done a fellowship and is willing to publish a few articles.

If you are fortunate to find a good PP job with a real partnership then certainly consider it.

What’s consider a good PP? give me some parameters...is it compensation? Fairness?

Match results signal a strong demand for anesthesiology residency programs and include growth in number of applicants, growth in positions offered, percentage of positions filled, and percentage of applicants not matched. In 2019, 4,241 candidates applied to 1,875 anesthesiology positions, with less than 50 percent of applicants matching into the specialty. There is an increasing trend in the number of anesthesiology positions offered, with 98.1 percent of positions filled in 2019.
Table 1 summarizes the number of applicants and the type of candidates who matched into anesthesiology between 2010 and 2019 (e.g., U.S. allopathic seniors, osteopathic students or graduates, other and international. See Exhibit 1 for definitions.). In 2019, 1,839 candidates matched, a 2 percent increase over 2018; it is the greatest number of matched candidates into the specialty to date. The percentage of matches by U.S. allopathic seniors and osteopathic students or graduates between 2015 and 2019 have steadily increased (1.6 percent); they represent 83.1 percent of all anesthesiology matches in 2019. For all other specialties, in aggregate, the percentage of matches by U.S. allopathic seniors and osteopathic students or graduates varied between 72 percent and 75 percent between 2015 and 2019.

Yea its more popular now but i dont think this means much. this only tells us the system is producing a lot of anesthesiologists to fill up any available jobs.

Cheap replaceable cogs, not highly-valued physicians.

I would argue this is where we are all headed: surgeons, internists, anesthesiologists, radiologists, etc, etc. Sure, anesthesiology and EM are a bit further down the rabbit-hole, but you can see the beginnings of a shift in surgical practice already. The "ownership" of a patient by a surgeon is created by surgical culture and little else, and it isn't difficult to extrapolate the current wellness/burnout movement that is eroding the desire of the next generation of surgeons to have a hand in every aspect of a patient's care. In a lot of ways this parallels the fractionation of medicine into subspecialties, because there just is so much to know, and work hour restrictions are making it more challenging for surgeons to learn to operate autonomously in a reasonable number of years. Millennial surgeons (no shade intended here- I too fall under the millennial designation) seem much less interested in keeping up with pain medicine (post-op pain services), ICU care (closed ICUs), and routine post-op care (PA services) than the OR Gods of yore. This is evident in our own institution, where any patient requiring more than 5mg of oxycodone q4 is a reflex consult to the APS. It's not a large leap to imagine a future where a group of surgeons staff a clinic similar to our pre-op clinics on a rotating basis (or have designated surgeons who for one reason or another no longer wish to operate) determining the need for an operation. The patient is then scheduled and operated on by whatever surgeon happens to be "on" that day, who received an OR assignment and reviewed the day's cases the night before.

If you buy into this trend, the question then becomes what to do with the information with regards to specialty selection. To me, it comes down to a matter of risk tolerance. Anesthesiology, one could argue, has a shorter distance to "fall", as it buckled to factory-like optimization a decade ago and the dust has more or less settled. With surgery, there is less of a certain future; if things don't go the way I predict, there may be more upside, but if your gamble doesn't pay off, you may face a situation where you are asked to work with an intensity commiserate with historical norms, minus the payoff in autonomy/control/prestige. The safe bet, in my opinion, is to pick something you really enjoy/find interesting, so if/when medicine as a whole regresses to the mean (as these things tend to do), you are at least left with something. I can't think of anything worse than working my a$$ off to become an orthopedic surgeon because I was enticed by the pay, only to see reimbursements for joints and spines slashed and the field trend toward hospital employment. Bones just don't interest me, and I'd wager more medical students would admit their disinterest if the pay wasn't so damn high. It's no accident derm, plastics, and ortho are 3 of the most competitive residencies, and I have a hard time believing it's because the majority medical students find skin and bones fascinating.

Of course, as I've highlighted in other posts, separating what you actually enjoy from what you think you'll enjoy and what gives you a thrill to tell people you enjoy is the single most difficult task in choosing a specialty, and what leads to so many medical students getting it wrong (I had a MS3 tell me the other day she was between cardiology, OB-GYN, and neurosurgery, which tells me what she's actually into is sounding impressive when talking to her parents and their friends).

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
I would argue this is where we are all headed: surgeons, internists, anesthesiologists, radiologists, etc, etc. Sure, anesthesiology and EM are a bit further down the rabbit-hole, but you can see the beginnings of a shift in surgical practice already. The "ownership" of a patient by a surgeon is created by surgical culture and little else, and it isn't difficult to extrapolate the current wellness/burnout movement that is eroding the desire of the next generation of surgeons to have a hand in every aspect of a patient's care. In a lot of ways this parallels the fractionation of medicine into subspecialties, because there just is so much to know, and work hour restrictions are making it more challenging for surgeons to learn to operate autonomously in a reasonable number of years. Millennial surgeons (no shade intended here- I too fall under the millennial designation) seem much less interested in keeping up with pain medicine (post-op pain services), ICU care (closed ICUs), and routine post-op care (PA services) than the OR Gods of yore. This is evident in our own institution, where any patient requiring more than 5mg of oxycodone q4 is a reflex consult to the APS. It's not a large leap to imagine a future where a group of surgeons staff a clinic similar to our pre-op clinics on a rotating basis (or have designated surgeons who for one reason or another no longer wish to operate) determining the need for an operation. The patient is then scheduled and operated on by whatever surgeon happens to be "on" that day, who received an OR assignment and reviewed the day's cases the night before.

If you buy into this trend, the question then becomes what to do with the information with regards to specialty selection. To me, it comes down to a matter of risk tolerance. Anesthesiology, one could argue, has a shorter distance to "fall", as it buckled to factory-like optimization a decade ago and the dust has more or less settled. With surgery, there is less of a certain future; if things don't go the way I predict, there may be more upside, but if your gamble doesn't pay off, you may face a situation where you are asked to work with an intensity commiserate with historical norms, minus the payoff in autonomy/control/prestige. The safe bet, in my opinion, is to pick something you really enjoy/find interesting, so if/when medicine as a whole regresses to the mean (as these things tend to do), you are at least left with something. I can't think of anything worse than working my a$$ off to become an orthopedic surgeon because I was enticed by the pay, only to see reimbursements for joints and spines slashed and the field trend toward hospital employment. Bones just don't interest me, and I'd wager more medical students would admit their disinterest if the pay wasn't so damn high. It's no accident derm, plastics, and ortho are 3 of the most competitive residencies, and I have a hard time believing it's because the majority medical students find skin and bones fascinating.

Of course, as I've highlighted in other posts, separating what you actually enjoy from what you think you'll enjoy and what gives you a thrill to tell people you enjoy is the single most difficult task in choosing a specialty, and what leads to so many medical students getting it wrong (I had a MS3 tell me the other day she was between cardiology, OB-GYN, and neurosurgery, which tells me what she's actually into is sounding impressive when talking to her parents and their friends).
Does anybody really enjoy/get excited about what they do at the attending level? It all gets old and becomes just a job, and usually this happens far before the end of residency. Choose a field where that you can tolerate and the money/lifestyle ratio suits your needs....

Does anybody really enjoy/get excited about what they do at the attending level? It all gets old and becomes just a job, and usually this happens far before the end of residency. Choose a field where that you can tolerate and the money/lifestyle ratio suits your needs....

I still get excited 21 years out of residency and I especially get excited about all the improvements in care I’ve witnessed over the course of my career. It’s fun.

Fair. These things are highly personal. I know for me, I find hearts and cardiac pathology genuinely interesting. Even though I really enjoy my time away from work, I'd rather specialize in something I find interesting with a lifestyle "penalty" than chase after a a 4pm stop time doing something I find boring (just not that enamored with regional/blocks, for instance). YMMV.

Edit: Still a fellow though, so I can't say how that will evolve over time.

This is 100% true. Stability and longevity are much better is a good academic job. This could be argued but I would say burnout occurs much faster in private practice.

I would say the people who did certain fellowships and get to practice that fellowship everyday, ie a ACTA doing hearts only and not hearts and OB call, probably loves their job a lot more than most of us. Sure their pay may be a bit lower but then it turns into the philosophical question of "Did you do this because you love it or did you do it because it pays well?" That's where @Nivens is speaking a lot truth in his post.

I would say the people who did certain fellowships and get to practice that fellowship everyday, ie a ACTA doing hearts only and not hearts and OB call, probably loves their job a lot more than most of us. Sure their pay may be a bit lower but then it turns into the philosophical question of "Did you do this because you love it or did you do it because it pays well?" That's where @Nivens is speaking a lot truth in his post.
Don’t get me wrong. I don’t hate my job. It’s fairly easy, the environment is pleasant and there are certainly people in this world that work a lot harder for a lot less compensation. The point is that it is just a job. I wake up have my coffee, and go to work. And as I don’t get paid a dime more for doing complex cases on sick patients I would be happy doing ASA 1 lap choles for the rest of my career....

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t hate my job. It’s fairly easy, the environment is pleasant and there are certainly people in this world that work a lot harder for a lot less compensation. The point is that it is just a job. I wake up have my coffee, and go to work. And as I don’t get paid a dime more for doing complex cases on sick patients I would be happy doing ASA 1 lap choles for the rest of my career....
Oh I totally understand that point. There are definitely days where a room full of LMA cases feel like a blessing. I think point was people love or at least enjoy their careers more if they’re doing more of what they “want” to do instead of things they’re required to do. The later is when this definitely turns into “a job”.

I still enjoy almost all of my practice now, 10 years out of residency. It's the side stuff and drama that bugs me.

I'm 2 years out of a cardiac fellowship so maybe that's still new enough to be honeymoon phase, but I like those cases a lot. I love doing echo. I had a great attending in fellowship who decorated a Christmas tree with printed out echo images. I don't love echo that much (someday perhaps I'll love something that much) but I still find myself doing pointless 3D color on the mitral valve for elective CABGs because it amuses me. Boredom, enjoyment, both?

It is a job. If I found $10M in the gutter behind my house tomorrow, I'd quit working yesterday and go goof off full time. But I probably wouldn't unbookmark echo-of-the-day right away.

I enjoy it still.

Reactions: 3 users
I still enjoy almost all of my practice now, 10 years out of residency. It's the side stuff and drama that bugs me.

I'm 2 years out of a cardiac fellowship so maybe that's still new enough to be honeymoon phase, but I like those cases a lot. I love doing echo. I had a great attending in fellowship who decorated a Christmas tree with printed out echo images. I don't love echo that much (someday perhaps I'll love something that much) but I still find myself doing pointless 3D color on the mitral valve for elective CABGs because it amuses me. Boredom, enjoyment, both?

It is a job. If I found $10M in the gutter behind my house tomorrow, I'd quit working yesterday and go goof off full time. But I probably wouldn't unbookmark echo-of-the-day right away.

I enjoy it still.

Is it common to do fellowship several years after finishing residency?

We've got several on here that did fellowship several years after residency. Of the six I can think of off the top of my head, half were military (two did fellowship after, one during), and half did CCM (and two cardiac, one Peds).

I've had colleagues with weirder paths, such as IM-->Pulm-->practice-->CCM-->practice-->anesthesiology. Some people are crazy, and some really like to learn (and are probably also crazy).

Reactions: 3 users
We've got several on here that did fellowship several years after residency. Of the six I can think of off the top of my head, half were military (two did fellowship after, one during), and half did CCM (and two cardiac, one Peds).

I've had colleagues with weirder paths, such as IM-->Pulm-->practice-->CCM-->practice-->anesthesiology. Some people are crazy, and some really like to learn (and are probably also crazy).
I have been considering going back to finish IM (for MICU purposes), but 2 years is too much. I am not THAT crazy. :)

I would argue that most anesthesiologists who go back for a fellowship are truly passionate.

View attachment 279287

View attachment 279287

There were 1337 PGY-1 and 428 PGY-2 spots for anesthesiology. Of those 67.8% of the PGY-1 and 57.5% of the PGY-2 spots were filled by "US Seniors" which are allopathic grads. Your data must include both allopathic and osteopathic grads which makes it look more competitive than it really is.

For comparison, ENT was 93.9%, Ortho was 91.8%, Derm was 76.7%, Integrated IR was 81.1%, Even psychiatry was 60.6%, General Surgery (not prelim) was 73.5%.

There were 1337 PGY-1 and 428 PGY-2 spots for anesthesiology. Of those 67.8% of the PGY-1 and 57.5% of the PGY-2 spots were filled by "US Seniors" which are allopathic grads. Your data must include both allopathic and osteopathic grads which makes it look more competitive than it really is.

For comparison, ENT was 93.9%, Ortho was 91.8%, Derm was 76.7%, Integrated IR was 81.1%, Even psychiatry was 60.6%, General Surgery (not prelim) was 73.5%.

My post was simply a comment that the specialty can fill with med students from the USA. The notion that Anesthesiology will need IMGs to fill the slots is false.

As for DOs I think 50% of open positions in Anesthesiology will be DO grads in just a few years. I don't see the big deal as most DOs pay a fortune for their education then MATCH into a field where CRNAs are their "Nurse Anesthesiologist" colleagues. Did I mention the pay is likely to decrease once Warren adds the Medicare Option to the exchanges? ( IMHO, Warren will be our next President).

The number of US osteopathic medical school students and graduates who submitted program choices also was a record high at 6001, an increase of 1384 over 2018. Of those 6001, 5076 (84.6%) matched to PGY-1 positions, also a record. Since 2015, the number of US osteopathic medical school students and graduates seeking positions has risen by 3052, a 103% increase. That growth has been driven in part by the transition to a single accreditation system. As part of that transition, the American Osteopathic Association Match has ended, the NRMP says.

A total of 8,574 students began their osteopathic medical education in 2018

DO graduates will increase by 50% from 2018 to 2022. These 8574 newly minted DOs will be seeking Residency positions and Anesthesiology is where many of them will MATCH. I predict by 2023 50% of all PGY1 slots in Anesthesiology will be filled by DOs.

Full cup= Private practice reimbursement for Ortho, ENT, Neurosurgery, etc
3/4 CUP= Medicare rate/ Medicare for all reimbursement rate

1568163079844.png

@BLADEMDA, please stop posting AANA garbage.

The non-anesthesiologists visiting the forum may actually not understand the sarcasm and be brainwashed into believing it. You know, there is no such thing as bad advertisement.

Reactions: 9 users
DO graduates will increase by 50% from 2018 to 2022. These 8574 newly minted DOs will be seeking Residency positions and Anesthesiology is where many of them will MATCH. I predict by 2023 50% of all PGY1 slots in Anesthesiology will be filled by DOs.
Right on! Hippity, hoppity, osteopathy.

@BLADEMDA, please stop posting AANA garbage.

The non-anesthesiologists visiting the forum may actually not understand the sarcasm and be brainwashed into believing it. You know, there is no such thing as bad advertisement.

I agree those claims by the AANA are outright lies. Every crna knows our educational process is superior to theirs. In addition, our clinical training is superior as well. For that organization to put out ads like those is all the proof one needs to realize they are intellectually dishonest and don’t represent the majority of their members views.

You will keep reading there is nothing wrong in promoting one’s own profession. Sure, that is true but equating a nursing education and crna school with medical school and residency is simply a lie.

The ASA should be promoting the profession by putting out ads stating “make sure you have a real physician Anesthesiologist by your side. The best trained, best educated Physician supervising or administrating your anesthetic. Don’t settle for less as your life depends on it. “

Reactions: 5 users
I would prefer a much more aggressive campaign. I would take on the AANA head on by challenging them with the term Nurse Anesthesiologist. This should occur at the state and federal legislative levels not the court room.

The attempt to mislead the public is real and represents the crossing of a bright red line. This crossing should be met with strong opposition.
An attempt to confuse and mislead the public at the expense of patient’s lives.

My post was simply a comment that the specialty can fill with med students from the USA. The notion that Anesthesiology will need IMGs to fill the slots is false.

As for DOs I think 50% of open positions in Anesthesiology will be DO grads in just a few years. I don't see the big deal as most DOs pay a fortune for their education then MATCH into a field where CRNAs are their "Nurse Anesthesiologist" colleagues. Did I mention the pay is likely to decrease once Warren adds the Medicare Option to the exchanges? ( IMHO, Warren will be our next President).
You lost me on the last sentence.

Anesthesiology sucks.

Do specialized surgery, cardiology, or GI. Then it will not matter how bad you are, the hospital will cater to you as long as you bring a few patients a week.

Critical care is silly. I think that’s a job for interns or generalists.

Peds is a passion. If you have it good for you.

Some people mentioning surgical subspecialties, cardiology, GI, but these are hard to match into. I've known people applying for surgical subspecialties who didn't get in so they chose anesthesiology instead. And no guarantee someone who does IM will match into GI or cards (let alone interventional cards). Then they end up in IM. I guess that means they have to enjoy being a hospitalist or PCP. Maybe that's fine for some people but I don't know if it's for me. In other words, we can say anesthesiology sucks, but the question is compared to what? Ortho/plastics/GI/interventional cards might all be better than anesthesiology, but personally to me anesthesiology is better than FM, general IM, general peds. It's always relative to some other specialty.

But if it's about bringing in a few patients a week, can't most specialties do that? Even FM, peds, psych, do that. Also pulm/ccm (or pulm only if you don't like ccm) is another big one that people could consider.

Some people mentioning surgical subspecialties, cardiology, GI, but these are hard to match into. I've known people applying for surgical subspecialties who didn't get in so they chose anesthesiology instead. And no guarantee someone who does IM will match into GI or cards (let alone interventional cards). Then they end up in IM. I guess that means they have to enjoy being a hospitalist or PCP. Maybe that's fine for some people but I don't know if it's for me. In other words, we can say anesthesiology sucks, but the question is compared to what? Ortho/plastics/GI/interventional cards might all be better than anesthesiology, but personally to me anesthesiology is better than FM, general IM, general peds. It's always relative to some other specialty.

But if it's about bringing in a few patients a week, can't most specialties do that? Even FM, peds, psych, do that. Also pulm/ccm (or pulm only if you don't like ccm) is another big one that people could consider.

One can always do anesthesia after IM residency. Many people have done that.