Please end offensive posts!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

big_smiles

Tiffanator - -BoooYaaHH!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just browsed SDN for awhile and noticed 4 jokes about seizures. It's really not funny. If you guys consider yourself pre-professional, you should have more respect. Have a seizure, and you'd understand - -epileptics are not crazy people. It's a hard thing to deal with and people really need to act more mature.

Members don't see this ad.

Reminds me of a "funny" shirt I got as a gift. On it is printed "I used to be schizophrenic, but we're okay now."

Didn't quite know how to take it, but I'm sure as heck not wearing it.

Now look at my screen name. You guys need to get a sense of humor. By the time you are 4th yrs like me or a resident you will have to laugh at these things cause if you dont some of the things you will see will make you cry.

You might not like it now but at some point you will turn to the dark side.

I love medicine and I am super happy I am in this field but along with that responsibility comes a huge burden.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man. Med school requires a sense of humor, especially regarding patients. Yes, epilepsy and other medical conditions are serious, but to get through med school, you have to see the humor. Making fun of illnesses or patients may seem cruel now, but it becomes essential for maintaining sanity.

They will learn, yes they will learn..

Gosh, get outta here!

Pre-meds make me sick...you can certainly be professional while retaining a sense of humor.

You know there is nothing wrong with a "sick" joke as long as you treat your patients well. People who think you shouldnt make fun of some of these things are just not really aware of what medicine is like. I mean Priapism is just funny, be it from Trazadone or a sickle cell crisis, now I would take care of that patient without laughing but it is a funny thing.

I had a guy on an EM shift who decided he liked putting screwdrivers where the sun dont shine.. well one got loose and a dark dwelling place. We had to call CRS (colo-rectal surg for the pre-meds) and they couldnt fish it out so he went to the OR. It is a serious thing for the guy but it is def funny!

Wow I love you all who do not agree w/ OP. I'm in the same boat. This is why I love medical students - they can laugh and have a good time but get serious when needed.

Being overly sensitive 24/7 just because you're a med school student? = thumbs down.

House of god is actually a very real portrayal. :) I dont think you can really appreciate the meaning until you are in the midst of 3rd yr, then I think it should be re-read again after residency cause I am sure the meaning will change.

Turkeyman said:
Gosh, get outta here!

Pre-meds make me sick...you can certainly be professional while retaining a sense of humor.
Word. :thumbup:

I agree completely with ectopic and robotsonic.

You will develop a (sometimes dark) sense of humor just to keep your sanity at times when you are in residency.

And yes, you can definitely be professional and still have some fun with what you do.

I reckon that I'm the cause of all of this. For heaven's sake, look at my icon!

Yeah, I think the joke's over. I just got PM'd:

"That icon is REALLY annoying to epiileptics out there. Do you even know what a seizure is like? Think about it. . . . I dunno . .but really."

Although I am not fluent in whatever language that was, for the sake, sanity, and health of numerous epileptic SDNers out there, Virgil will officially change his avatar. There, I said it. It seems that I've caused some problems here. For that, I am truly sorry.

Virgil is now searching for an equally as offensive/annoying/kicka$$ avatar. PM if you have suggestions!

I am now done with talking about myself in the third person.

Regards,

Virgil

Members don't see this ad :)
Virgil said:

"That icon is REALLY annoying to epiileptics out there. Do you even know what a seizure is like? Think about it. . . . I dunno . .but really."

Although I am not fluent in whatever language that was, for the sake, sanity, and health of numerous epileptic SDNers out there, Virgil will officially change his avatar. There, I said it. It seems that I've caused some problems here. For that, I am truly sorry.

Virgil is now searching for an equally as offensive/annoying/kicka$$ avatar. PM if you have suggestions!

Regards,

Virgil
I like the one you have now. People need to lighten up a little. :rolleyes:

jbone said:
I like the one you have now. People need to lighten up a little. :rolleyes:
Hmm...ya think? What's the consensus? Should I keep it or should I get another one? Come on, future doctors!

Virgil said:
Hmm...ya think? What's the consensus? Should I keep it or should I get another one? Come on, future doctors!
Annoying .gif signatures weren't funny in 1997 and haven't gotten funnier since. Fortunately, everyone SHOULD be using firefox and AdBlock and can turn the avatar off with a simple right click.

robotsonic said:
Oh man. Med school requires a sense of humor, especially regarding patients. Yes, epilepsy and other medical conditions are serious, but to get through med school, you have to see the humor. Making fun of illnesses or patients may seem cruel now, but it becomes essential for maintaining sanity.

So its kinda of like making jokes about the holocaust...makes it easier to deal with.

justskipee said:
So its kinda of like making jokes about the holocaust...makes it easier to deal with.
Hey skipee,
your avatar offends me too. I'm lactose intolerant. :laugh:

keep the avatar, Virgil. It's your prerogative! =P

Virgil said:

I don't care what's written on it, but the way it flashes bugs me and makes me want to skip your posts very quickly. It's just a pain on the eye. :smuggrin:

Virgil said:

Regards,

Virgil

After much deliberation, I finally found the perfect new avatar. I *hope* this does not offend anyone:

seizurewithout8qg.gif

What do you guys think?

What do you guys think?

It would be funny as hell to put those 2 avatars TOGETHER.

SEIZUREEE WHEEEE!!! *ARMS FLAPPING UP & DOWN*

hahaha

Pewl said:
keep the avatar, Virgil. It's your prerogative! =P
wow, that word's been getting more and more popular after britney did her thing

big_smiles said:
I've just browsed SDN for awhile and noticed 4 jokes about seizures. It's really not funny. If you guys consider yourself pre-professional, you should have more respect. Have a seizure, and you'd understand - -epileptics are not crazy people. It's a hard thing to deal with and people really need to act more mature.
who cares, just ignore them instead of giving lectures and soon enough crying for censorship. people will say what they want to say and joke about what they want to joke about. nobodys telling you to laugh. if everyone worries about offending this person/group or that person/group, everyone has to turn themselves on mute completely. victimology sucks

Virgil said:
After much deliberation, I finally found the perfect new avatar. What do you guys think?

That depends, are you still trying to be offensive or are you just trying to be obnoxious?

I say keep your avatar. If people are offended then they need to just ignore your posts. Besides if they can't take a joke, screw 'em.

Virgil said:
After much deliberation, I finally found the perfect new avatar. I *hope* this does not offend anyone:

seizurewithout8qg.gif

What do you guys think?

Do they just not like the conotation of what the avatar could symbolize, or is the avatar actually causing them problems/scaring them? (I'm just a pre-med and almost completely ignorant about seizures, so anyone feel free to correct me) - but I have been told that in serious cases, a stobing light such as the one in your avatar can induce a significant siezure. Apparently those pts have to live in fear of accientally coming into contact with such an event where ever they go. In fact, I actually know someone who cannot attend dances or sporting events where they may use strobes and/or or light effects.

Now if its the symbolizm of the avatar they don't like - well, they should try to understand having to have a sense humor when you are dealing with pain and suffering on a daily basis. But do you think it's possible that it is actually causing them problems or worries. It would be quite amazing if it was, but just a thought.

Ugh, both avatars give me a headache. Virgil, choose something that is offensive but FOR GOD'S SAKE NOT BLINKING!!!

big_smiles said:

If you're going to work up the ladder to the top of the physician world, you're going to have to learn to take crap from others.

gs_ts.jpg

robotsonic said:
Ugh, both avatars give me a headache. Virgil, choose something that is offensive but FOR GOD'S SAKE NOT BLINKING!!!

:thumbup:

I like this forum because it allows us to share our experiences and offer each other advice. I'm sorry that people have to be asses to each other to make themselves feel better. I know that I can't clean up this forum or anything, and I won't bother trying . .sorry to annoy any of you. I really don't have many pet peeves, but my main one is when people joke around about seizures. .so anyways, sorry guys. I do have a sense of humor. . on most things at least. Just not seizures, because epilepsy sucks and you do live in fear and your whole life changes. It's a hard thing to deal with . .and well go on and make fun of the disease - -while you are at it, why not make fun of other life-long conditions (note sarcasm here)? Well my opinion is, that you guys should be professional by now. I will quit posting on anything on this, or maybe on SDN in general.

robotsonic said:

AGREED!!!!!!!!! The blinking is annoying!!!!! However, I could care less what you write on your avatar, I've seen more offensive things on another site.

Shredder said:
who cares, just ignore them instead of giving lectures and soon enough crying for censorship. people will say what they want to say and joke about what they want to joke about. nobodys telling you to laugh. if everyone worries about offending this person/group or that person/group, everyone has to turn themselves on mute completely. victimology sucks

clarence!

great movie

big_smiles said:
I like this forum because it allows us to share our experiences and offer each other advice. I'm sorry that people have to be asses to each other to make themselves feel better. I know that I can't clean up this forum or anything, and I won't bother trying . .sorry to annoy any of you. I really don't have many pet peeves, but my main one is when people joke around about seizures. .so anyways, sorry guys. I do have a sense of humor. . on most things at least. Just not seizures, because epilepsy sucks and you do live in fear and your whole life changes. It's a hard thing to deal with . .and well go on and make fun of the disease - -while you are at it, why not make fun of other life-long conditions (note sarcasm here)? Well my opinion is, that you guys should be professional by now. I will quit posting on anything on this, or maybe on SDN in general.
Initially, I thought the avatar was funny and clever, and my response to your comment even funnier. I didn't realize that your aversion to this was so strong, and the thought of the avatar actually causing a seizure (or headaches) seemed out of the question to me, unless you guys are actually sitting there staring at it. Nevertheless, I do in fact have a heart (whether you believe me or not), and I've decided to take it down. Making fun of a life-long illness was definitely not my intention, and I am truly sorry if it seemed that way. One of the main reasons I'm in this is to help people (again, believe it or not), and it looks like my avatar is causing a lot more harm than laughs.

My apologies,

Virgil

EDIT: Now you will have to suffer by watching the freaky llama monster!

thanks Virgil, and I like that one! Sorry for being so sensitive about that :)

You guys have to remember that not everyone here are young, some of the old people here get offended by things that are tame by our standards. To them i say watch "Patch Adams".

BTW if any necrophiliacs are offended by my avatar let me know.

Virgil said:
Initially, I thought the avatar was funny and clever, and my response to your comment even funnier. I didn't realize that your aversion to this was so strong, and the thought of the avatar actually causing a seizure (or headaches) seemed out of the question to me, unless you guys are actually sitting there staring at it. Nevertheless, I do in fact have a heart (whether you believe me or not), and I've decided to take it down. Making fun of a life-long illness was definitely not my intention, and I am truly sorry if it seemed that way. One of the main reasons I'm in this is to help people (again, believe it or not), and it looks like my avatar is causing a lot more harm than laughs.

My apologies,

Virgil

EDIT: Now you will have to suffer by watching the freaky llama monster!
What the hell is that? Where do you guys get this freaky shiz? :eek:

jbone said:
What the hell is that? Where do you guys get this freaky shiz? :eek:
Hell if I know.

Virgil said:
Hell if I know.
Give me a link so I can get something offensive or cool for my avatar. This little black kid is cute but I need to get something a little more my style. I'm a computer ****** (sorry to all ******s...don't flame me :smuggrin: )

jbone said:
Give me a link so I can get something offensive or cool for my avatar. This little black kid is cute but I need to get something a little more my style. I'm a computer ****** (sorry to all ******s...don't flame me :smuggrin: )
Hey, no problem, slugger. I doubt that there's many premeds out there that are 1337 enough to make these:
http://www.avatarity.com/

I found this thing (<<) in the "Various" section.

Virgil said:
I found this thing (<<) in the "Various" section.
Now go and edit your post and delete the site so nobody will know!! hehe.
Thanks. (slugger **grunts** :scared: )

Virgil said:
Hey, no problem, slugger.

omg, YOU"RE that interviewer who was in the bathroom with that interviewee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

tigress said:
omg, YOU"RE that interviewer who was in the bathroom with that interviewer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
*cheesy smile*

Virgil said:

http://img269.echo.cx/img269/2430/seizurewithout8qg.gif

What do you guys think?
i have the perfect avatar for you. if i ever come upon it in the near future, i'll post it here.

also us premeds (and med students) don't look down upon epiletics or the like because we use jokes. having a sense of humor makes the disease easier to deal with from both our perspective and the family's perspective.

big_smiles said:
dont throw a pity party now or be weak by leaving sdn. but dont barge onto online forums trying to censor everyones jokes, thoughts and opinions either. just like youre sensitive about seizures, a host of other people are sensitive about this and that. how can you accomodate everyone? whats everyone supposed to do, engage only in small talk like wives at a country club? sorry, i do have a sense of humor...just not on X and Y and Z and such and such, so you better not talk about any of them or else. also you dont have to clarify obvious sarcasm, it detracts from the effect and most sdners are sharp enough to pick up on it. dont leave sdn but dont lecture, leave that for the mods

virgil you shouldve held strong, screw censorship and hurting sensitive peoples feelings. thick skin is an asset. putting a stop to "offensive" posts, jokes, comments, and threads is a slippery slope to banality

Shredder said:
dont throw a pity party now or be weak by leaving sdn. but dont barge onto online forums trying to censor everyones jokes, thoughts and opinions either. just like youre sensitive about seizures, a host of other people are sensitive about this and that. how can you accomodate everyone? whats everyone supposed to do, engage only in small talk like wives at a country club? sorry, i do have a sense of humor...just not on X and Y and Z and such and such, so you better not talk about any of them or else. also you dont have to clarify obvious sarcasm, it detracts from the effect and most sdners are sharp enough to pick up on it. dont leave sdn but dont lecture, leave that for the mods

virgil you shouldve held strong, screw censorship and hurting sensitive peoples feelings. thick skin is an asset. putting a stop to "offensive" posts, jokes, comments, and threads is a slippery slope to banality
Amen to that! :thumbup:
oh yea, shredder...love the avatar. I'll just call you Zuzu (sp?) from now on. :D

Shredder said:

Shredder, I totally agree with your comments regarding censorship. I was getting tired of the avatar though, and I am personally much more fond of the creature I'm hosting now. I agree with your "thick skin" mentality; it is a necessary trait, especially for those bound for doctorhood, but I personally don't care either way. I'm not going to fight a battle which I personally don't care about. I'll just act like the bigger man and change it. If it'll make a few people happy, why not?

Virgil said:
Shredder, I totally agree with your comments regarding censorship. I was getting tired of the avatar though, and I am personally much more fond of the creature I'm hosting now. I agree with your "thick skin" mentality; it is a necessary trait, especially for those bound for doctorhood, but I personally don't care either way. I'm not going to fight a battle which I personally don't care about. I'll just act like the bigger man and change it. If it'll make a few people happy, why not?
principles matter more than popularity, but if you were going to change it anyway then :thumbup:

big_smiles said:

You know, I hear that one of the best ways for a physician to deal with all the sad issues that they encounter on the job is through humor... making light of the seriousness of the problems of their patients. I think these jokes are just pre-med SDN'ers working on their sarcastic cynicism that is necessary to surviving as a doctor. Especially in certain fields, such as oncology or emergency med. If I had seizures, I would joke about it. Like Natalie Portman's character in Garden State w/her helmet she has to wear at work. :smuggrin: Something about you have to laugh otherwise you cry? Eh... I haven't actually read any of these posts, so that is my ignorant two cents.

EctopicFetus said:
Now look at my screen name. You guys need to get a sense of humor. By the time you are 4th yrs like me or a resident you will have to laugh at these things cause if you dont some of the things you will see will make you cry.

You might not like it now but at some point you will turn to the dark side.

I love medicine and I am super happy I am in this field but along with that responsibility comes a huge burden.

I should have read one post further. This emphasizes my point. I love it- you will turn to the dark side.... I gave in a long time ago. I have gotten worse since I started shadowing at an emergency department. Besides, I've always liked dark humor. :smuggrin: