MD & DO Please help... lots of questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FtrNoodleDoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I would love your opinion.
I'm a semi nontraditional student because I'm a communications major (three minors: business, computer info tech, and chemistry) and took a fifth year of undergrad to finish up. I decided to pursue medicine before my fourth year.
I've only taken the bare bones prerequisites for med school. sGPA is 3.06 right now. Low, I know.
Experiences: University wellness initiatives, designated driving through university (if that even counts), testing for HIV and HepC, research assistant in a neuro lab, helping food insecurity in the community, will be scribing at a private practice. I just graduated from college.
I haven't taken my MCAT and am wondering when I should. Like I said, I took the bare bones of classes needed (taking biochem in the next 4 weeks). I'm considering this September and studying for it all summer or waiting an entire year. I'll need to teach myself a lot of material I'm sure.

I'm considering DO too. 23 y/o, Asian with a smidge of Polynesian, will apply to my state school.

Major questions: When do you suggest I start studying for my MCAT/when should I take it?
Should I go back to school to raise my GPA before attempting the MCAT?
What other experiences would boost my application?

Any advice/opinions are appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Major questions: When do you suggest I start studying for my MCAT/when should I take it?

If you're gunning for MD, you'll need several semesters of GPA repair and possibly consider doing an SMP. Note, I'm assuming that because you have minimal science courses, it is fairly easy (in comparison to a Biology major) to raise your sGPA, so take this into consideration. Ideally, you'll need to take the MCAT one or two semesters before applying, e.g. if you wish to apply in the 2019-2020 cycle, then you should have taken the MCAT that Spring or early summer (May/June).

Should I go back to school to raise my GPA before attempting the MCAT?

Most definitely. You mentioned that you'll be taking biochemistry very soon - a course that I consider to be an essential before taking the MCAT. Other courses that may help would include general chemistry, cell/molecular biology, psychology, sociology, etc. Additionally, for most schools your MCAT score will expire three years from when you took it, so you don't really want to sit for the exam twice especially for that reason.

What other experiences would boost my application?

Scribing will help qualify as "clinical experience", but I would also recommend searching for clinical volunteer opportunities along with opportunities to serve the lesser fortunate.

You'll also want to accumulate around 50 hours of shadowing - your best bet would be going the DO route currently, so try to get shadow a PCP.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're gunning for MD, you'll need several semesters of GPA repair and possibly consider doing an SMP. Note, I'm assuming that because you have minimal science courses, it is fairly easy (in comparison to a Biology major) to raise your sGPA, so take this into consideration. Ideally, you'll need to take the MCAT one or two semesters before applying, e.g. if you wish to apply in the 2019-2020 cycle, then you should have taken the MCAT that Spring or early summer (May/June).

Most definitely. You mentioned that you'll be taking biochemistry very soon - a course that I consider to be an essential before taking the MCAT. Other courses that may help would include general chemistry, cell/molecular biology, psychology, sociology, etc. Additionally, for most schools your MCAT score will expire three years from when you took it, so you don't really want to sit for the exam twice especially for that reason.

Scribing will help qualify as "clinical experience", but I would also recommend searching for clinical volunteer opportunities along with opportunities to serve the lesser fortunate.

You'll also want to accumulate around 50 hours of shadowing - your best bet would be going the DO route currently, so try to get shadow a PCP.

Thank you for the feedback. I just received my Bachelors degree, so was unsure if I should do a DIY post bacc situation or an SMP. If I did the post bacc route, I would just take other BCPM classes I haven't taken before right? There is no point in retaking previous ones, correct?

I took a couple math courses previously. But I took physics and bio my fourth year, gen chem the summer after, o chem and mole gen my fifth year, and now biochem (just one term).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the feedback. I just received my Bachelors degree, so was unsure if I should do a DIY post bacc situation or an SMP. If I did the post bacc route, I would just take other BCPM classes I haven't taken before right? There is no point in retaking previous ones, correct?

I took a couple math courses previously. But I took physics and bio my fourth year, gen chem the summer after, o chem and mole gen my fifth year, and now biochem (just one term).

Is Biochemistry the last pre-requisite that you need to fulfill? If so, I would look into an SMP as it's often considered the "backdoor" into many host medical schools. If you pursued the route of a post-bacc, then I imagine you'd need to put in a few semesters so you can significantly raise your c/sGPA. Note that SMPs are very high risk, can be very expensive, and some require an MCAT so do your research before then.

There's no need to retake courses unless you've failed them (most medical schools require a minimum of a C) or you find yourself "weak" on that topic and it is relevant to the MCAT.

I recommend reading Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention for further insight as to what to expect.

@Rusrus has given you great advice.

Look into a 1-year DIY post-bacc and take upper-division science courses in order to boost your GPA. As said above, SMPs are high-risk high-reward, in your case I would consider doing a post-bacc first. As is your GPA is very weak having just taken the minimum courses work and an SMP at this point in time might be a lot to handle. If you do poorly in the SMP (<3.6 GPA) you will have a very difficult time getting into MD.

Also since you've only taken the minimum course work there should be plenty of upper-level science courses for you to take.

Finding shadowing opportunities is not difficult - just email a physician near you and ask if they have time to show you what they do. If after 3 days you don't get a reply email a different physician. Rinse and repeat until someone bites. I shadowed 5 different specialties this way and published a paper with one of the physicians I shadowed. If the physician you shadow is working on a paper or publishes frequently ask if there is any way you can help or get involved.

Look into non-clinical volunteering as well, being a physician is a service based profession - you must show that you like service. You can volunteer at homeless shelters, refugee camps, tutoring disadvantaged children. There are plenty things to do.

Don't think about taking the MCAT until after you improve you GPA and have more science courses under you belt. Sometime late spring would be best if you decide to apply in the next cycle. However, do not be in a rush if it takes you two years then it take the two years. The application process is expensive and you want to apply when your app is at its strongest.

@Rusrus has given you great advice.

Look into a 1-year DIY post-bacc and take upper-division science courses in order to boost your GPA. As said above, SMPs are high-risk high-reward, in your case I would consider doing a post-bacc first. As is your GPA is very weak having just taken the minimum courses work and an SMP at this point in time might be a lot to handle. If you do poorly in the SMP (<3.6 GPA) you will have a very difficult time getting into MD.

Also since you've only taken the minimum course work there should be plenty of upper-level science courses for you to take.

Finding shadowing opportunities is not difficult - just email a physician near you and ask if they have time to show you what they do. If after 3 days you don't get a reply email a different physician. Rinse and repeat until someone bites. I shadowed 5 different specialties this way and published a paper with one of the physicians I shadowed. If the physician you shadow is working on a paper or publishes frequently ask if there is any way you can help or get involved.

Look into non-clinical volunteering as well, being a physician is a service based profession - you must show that you like service. You can volunteer at homeless shelters, refugee camps, tutoring disadvantaged children. There are plenty things to do.

Don't think about taking the MCAT until after you improve you GPA and have more science courses under you belt. Sometime late spring would be best if you decide to apply in the next cycle. However, do not be in a rush if it takes you two years then it take the two years. The application process is expensive and you want to apply when your app is at its strongest.

Thank you so much. This was actually very encouraging and I think I will take your advice regarding the DIY post bacc. I will do it after I scribe for one year. Thank you again.