Please help - Need some honest opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericado

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really really interested in Osteopathic Medicine...I have shadowed MDs and DOs, and I am much more interested in the DO philosophy. I submitted my primary application back in August, and I was waiting for MCAT scores before sending out secondaries.

Members don't see this ad.

It is not unheard of for someone to get into DO school with a 20. (btw congrats on the writing section)

If you have the money and the time and energy for secondaries I would go ahead and put forth your best effort this year. Your GPA rocks and you seem to have some good ECs.

You might want to consider increasing the number of schools you apply to.

If you have $$$ that you know going in might be wasted, go for it but apply to lots and lots of schools to increase your chances.

Since you were scoring high 20s on the practice exams, it's likely you will do that or even break 30 on the April test...So if you want to have more leeway in location or school choice, you might think about applying again next year. Likely if you apply this time you will have a limited number of schools as your options, you know what I mean?

I think you would have a fair shot if you picked your schools correctly. Make a spreadsheet with the average GPA and MCAT of each school and pick from that list. Then add a couple schools you like.

New DO schools and schools in less-desirable locations have lower average numbers.

I applied with a 22 and much worse GPA last year and received interviews at all the schools I submitted secondaries too. I feel if I had applied to more than 3 schools I would already be in med school.

Good luck!