Worth throwing out some apps in February?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Uncle_Joey

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, just wanted to get your thoughts on whether or not it would be a good idea to throw out some hail mary applications in February (I know this is super late even for DO). Due to some unexpected events in my personal life, I wasn't able to take the MCAT this summer, and plan to do so in January. My stats: 3.6 gpa, 3.3 science, >1000 clinic and research hours, >500 volunteer hours, and hopefully a 505 or greater MCAT. If I were to apply this cycle, based on my stats which schools should I send out applications to? (planned on 10 at most)
 
I do defer to wise Goro but anecdotally know of higher stat applicants who got into Touro NV on your timeline. You are risking having to apply as a reapplicant next year which can put an unappealing flavor on your app. You would have to explain why you're a reapplicant and what improvements you've made to your app. Maybe you can think of a nice way to spin it. Based on the info above, I cannot.

You could have a raggedy, extremely late app for this cycle or a nice early app for next cycle. I'd only risk it this cycle if you score ≥510 on MCAT. And be honest, will your app this year be half baked? I find most people who are throwing hail Mary's have at least one serious deficiency besides the timing!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad