Worth throwing out some apps in February?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uncle_Joey

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to get your thoughts on whether or not it would be a good idea to throw out some hail mary applications in February (I know this is super late even for DO). Due to some unexpected events in my personal life, I wasn't able to take the MCAT this summer, and plan to do so in January. My stats: 3.6 gpa, 3.3 science, >1000 clinic and research hours, >500 volunteer hours, and hopefully a 505 or greater MCAT. If I were to apply this cycle, based on my stats which schools should I send out applications to? (planned on 10 at most)

Members don't see this ad.

I do defer to wise Goro but anecdotally know of higher stat applicants who got into Touro NV on your timeline. You are risking having to apply as a reapplicant next year which can put an unappealing flavor on your app. You would have to explain why you're a reapplicant and what improvements you've made to your app. Maybe you can think of a nice way to spin it. Based on the info above, I cannot.

You could have a raggedy, extremely late app for this cycle or a nice early app for next cycle. I'd only risk it this cycle if you score ≥510 on MCAT. And be honest, will your app this year be half baked? I find most people who are throwing hail Mary's have at least one serious deficiency besides the timing!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I also am not a huge fan, but if you want to attend just any DO program, including the ones that haven't graduated a class (which is a risk you are taking as a guinea pig in a new system), do your homework before you start spending money and time.

Last edited:
  • Love
Would wait

Reactions: 1 user
Waste of time and money
^^^^^^^This. Work on improving your app for next cycle. Feb is too late, then if you don't get in, ( which has a good likelihood as many seats are already awarded by then), then you are a re applicant for the next cycle with the inherent disadvantages that come with that status.