Please Help! Re: MCAT and applying this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preemie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I took the MCAT 5/7 and didn't do so well--- got a 498 (122/127/124/125). Scheduled to retake tomorrow but I feel like my score will be in the same range, if not worse. For reference, my cGPA is a 3.5 and my sGPA is a 3.3. I'm worried about applying to schools and being screened out with my current score, specifically because of my low score in Chem/Physics. I don't know how I'll do tomorrow and may end up voiding my score if I don't feel confident in an improvement.
I know I would be ready by late September or October, but there are no more test dates, leaving January as the earliest option. Is it a bad idea to retake then? Can I submit my current app and list January as a testing date, or should I apply next cycle altogether?
I do have good ECs, shadowing experience, research experience, and pubs. Obviously none of that matters if my MCAT score doesn't even meet the ~min~ requirement.
What should I do?
Please help

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I took the MCAT 5/7 and didn't do so well--- got a 498 (122/127/124/125). Scheduled to retake tomorrow but I feel like my score will be in the same range, if not worse. For reference, my cGPA is a 3.5 and my sGPA is a 3.3. I'm worried about applying to schools and being screened out with my current score, specifically because of my low score in Chem/Physics. I don't know how I'll do tomorrow and may end up voiding my score if I don't feel confident in an improvement.
I know I would be ready by late September or October, but there are no more test dates, leaving January as the earliest option. Is it a bad idea to retake then? Can I submit my current app and list January as a testing date, or should I apply next cycle altogether?
I do have good ECs, shadowing experience, research experience, and pubs. Obviously none of that matters if my MCAT score doesn't even meet the ~min~ requirement.
What should I do?
Please help
I will say this now. If you can read it before you take your MCAT.

DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT TAKE IF NOT READY. Take until you are fully ready and if need be, WAIT UNTIL NEXT CYCLE. This is for medical school. Do not butcher your chances by getting a score of the same range. Getting another 498 or 499 or 500 will look horrible and may kill your chances for med school forever if serious repair is not done on the third try. DO NOT TAKE IT IF NOT READY. If you are not feeling ready, do not take it tomorrow. Take it when 100% ready, kill the MCAT and then apply. If you are too late, just apply next cycle. Would you rather rush it, possibly get a WORSE score, possibly kill your chances for med school forever trying to apply this cycle. Or wait, get a great score(like 506+) and then apply next cycle and have a great chance to get in? Don't risk it. Don't take if not ready. I cannot stress this point enough. DO NOT RUSH THE MCAT!

Reactions: 2 users
A pity you posted so late. I really hope you see this before you take the test. Like the guy above me said, you have pretty much two options.

1. Do not take the test, or take it an void. Study hard for January, do better than 498, apply next cycle. Go to medical school.
2. Take the test tomorrow. Chances of having significant improvement (especially with your confidence): slim. Thats two below average results, med school is done. Start looking for an alternate career.

The choice should be easy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Study hard, gain confidence, and wait until next cycle. I am sure many people feel unsure about the test going into it, but one shouldn't feel not ready all together. Hammer and figure out why the chemistry and physics section is so low and zone in on these areas. Is it content? Is it not understanding experimental data? Also, the biology section would be another section I would personally analyze and find weak spots. Like others have responded, do not rush it and only retake and submit once you feel you have examined your weak areas and feel confident. Good luck tomorrow and hopefully it doesn't go as bad as what you had thought. If it is and you have to void, no big deal. Study hard, nail mcat next year, and become a doctor.

Reactions: 1 users
Post back with your decision. I hope you either didn't take it or voided it. You don't want an extra MCAT score for adcoms to look at that isn't good.

Thank you so much for your responses. I did see @tony101 's response before I took the exam this morning. Ended up taking it and voiding. I plan to focus on C/P and the bio as well to improve my scores and get into med school! Better late than never, right?
@dwgrubbs1s I haven't taken physics or chem, the way it's tested on the MCAT since 2011, and didn't review it well enough for my May MCAT.

Delay immediate gratification is a quality to have during medical school applications.

Retaking MCAT is your best option. Raise that score to 502+ and apply next cycle :) you will get some love.

Best of luck

Thank you so much for your responses. I did see @tony101 's response before I took the exam this morning. Ended up taking it and voiding. I plan to focus on C/P and the bio as well to improve my scores and get into med school! Better late than never, right?
@dwgrubbs1s I haven't taken physics or chem, the way it's tested on the MCAT since 2011, and didn't review it well enough for my May MCAT.
Thank goodness. That was such a close one. I thought my comment was to late