Please help with Final School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

getfat

IM Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys need a little bit of help finalizing my school list. Checked and nobody is a similar applicant to me.
I am hesitant to apply to several schools because of possible regional bias but I need to apply as broadly as possible due to my stats.

Post-bac Student from Florida (Received Bachelors of Science in Public Health at a state university in 2012).
Took 65 Credits (All Science +Pre-reqs) and maintained a 4.0.
  • Cumulative GPA : 3.3
  • Science GPA 3.44
  • MCAT: 28 (10Bio/8Verbal/10Phys)
  • EC are ok: President of Fraternity (1.5 yrs); Held many other smaller roles in organization that gave me a lot of non-clinical volunteering; Including organizing beauty pageant that raised over $3K for children's miracle network. 120 hours volunteering at hospital admissions as well.
  • Clinical experience i feel is a strong point for me: 2 years working as patient care tech in Hospital;1 year working as a scribe in Emergency Department; 6 months as scribe in ophthalmology clinic.
  • Shadowing is ok: 25 hours palliative care, 10 hours geriatric, 100 hours trauma bay in ED, 10 hours ophthalmology surgery (allowed to get exposure to some surgery procedures)
  • Research is ok: No posters/abstracts/anything, just joined a research lab Fall2015. It has been very productive and i feel like I am contributing. It just looks like my name is not going to be on anything until 2017. So I will not put anything in the primary application and will possibly mentioned a poster in a LOI later in the application cycle.
Schools that I think I should apply to (In no particular order)
1. Both A.T. Stills
2. Arizona College of Medicine of Midwestern
3. Campell University (CUSOM) - Heard rumors there is SE Pref
4. Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (KCU-COM)
5. Both LECOMs
6. Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-COM)
7. Both PCOMs
8. All Edward Via

These are the schools I am not sure because of regional bias or unsure regional bias

1. Midwestern University - Chicago (CCOM/MWU) - Google says last class was 55% Illinois Residence; I feel like that isn't too bad but I may have uncompetitive GPA (Last average was 3.6).
2. Des Moines University (DMU-COM) - Unknown regional bias. Last secondary asks about research experience. I may not have publications,posters yet but I have a year in the same lab.
3. Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM) - Last class had 50% OOS. Unsure because last matriculating class average was 3.57.
4. Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York,Harlem (TouroCOM-NY) - Unsure regional bias. Can't find anything regarding average GPA.
5. Touro University Nevada College of Osteopathic Medicine (TUNCOM) - Unsure regional bias. Can't find anything regarding average GPAs
6. University of Pikeville-Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM) - Unsure regional bias. Can't find anything regarding average GPAs
7. William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM) - Unsure regional bias. Can't find anything regarding average GPAs

My application is complete I am just going back and forth about which schools I should be applying to.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks guys:)

Members don't see this ad.

Being from Florida apply to FSU. If you want to do primary care and can show them that then you're actually competitive. Have a friend there with pretty much identical stats

Reactions: 1 user
Being from Florida apply to FSU. If you want to do primary care and can show them that then you're actually competitive. Have a friend there with pretty much identical stats

That is a great suggestion. I wish i could but GPA is using grade replacement. Sorry I should have mentioned this is AACOMAS calculated GPA.

I have a 3.1Overall; 2.9 Science without grade replacement. I checked MSAR and I don't even clear 10th percentile for FSU with this GPA so I figured it would be better to use that money applying to another DO school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys need a little bit of help finalizing my school list. Checked and nobody is a similar applicant to me.
I am hesitant to apply to several schools because of possible regional bias but I need to apply as broadly as possible due to my stats.

Post-bac Student from Florida (Received Bachelors of Science in Public Health at a state university in 2012).
Took 65 Credits (All Science +Pre-reqs) and maintained a 4.0.
  • Cumulative GPA : 3.3
  • Science GPA 3.44
  • MCAT: 28 (10Bio/8Verbal/10Phys)
  • EC are ok: President of Fraternity (1.5 yrs); Held many other smaller roles in organization that gave me a lot of non-clinical volunteering; Including organizing beauty pageant that raised over $3K for children's miracle network. 120 hours volunteering at hospital admissions as well.
  • Clinical experience i feel is a strong point for me: 2 years working as patient care tech in Hospital;1 year working as a scribe in Emergency Department; 6 months as scribe in ophthalmology clinic.
  • Shadowing is ok: 25 hours palliative care, 10 hours geriatric, 100 hours trauma bay in ED, 10 hours ophthalmology surgery (allowed to get exposure to some surgery procedures)
  • Research is ok: No posters/abstracts/anything, just joined a research lab Fall2015. It has been very productive and i feel like I am contributing. It just looks like my name is not going to be on anything until 2017. So I will not put anything in the primary application and will possibly mentioned a poster in a LOI later in the application cycle.
Schools that I think I should apply to (In no particular order)
1. Both A.T. Stills
2. Arizona College of Medicine of Midwestern
3. Campell University (CUSOM) - Heard rumors there is SE Pref
4. Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (KCU-COM)
5. Both LECOMs
6. Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-COM)
7. Both PCOMs
8. All Edward Via

These are the schools I am not sure because of regional bias or unsure regional bias

1. Midwestern University - Chicago (CCOM/MWU) - Google says last class was 55% Illinois Residence; I feel like that isn't too bad but I may have uncompetitive GPA (Last average was 3.6).
2. Des Moines University (DMU-COM) - Unknown regional bias. Last secondary asks about research experience. I may not have publications,posters yet but I have a year in the same lab.
3. Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM) - Last class had 50% OOS. Unsure because last matriculating class average was 3.57.
4. Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine - New York,Harlem (TouroCOM-NY) - Unsure regional bias. Can't find anything regarding average GPA.
5. Touro University Nevada College of Osteopathic Medicine (TUNCOM) - Unsure regional bias. Can't find anything regarding average GPAs
6. University of Pikeville-Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM) - Unsure regional bias. Can't find anything regarding average GPAs
7. William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM) - Unsure regional bias. Can't find anything regarding average GPAs

My application is complete I am just going back and forth about which schools I should be applying to.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks guys:)
Apply to William Carey, they like applicants from the Gulf Coast States and folks with Master's degrees. Over 50% of their entering class has had a Master's degree since inception. Average GPA's around 3.5 I believe.

Definitely apply to ACOM. They take a lot of Florida residents and they have rotation sites in Pensacola, Tally, PCB, and Jacksonville

Definitely apply to ACOM. They take a lot of Florida residents and they have rotation sites in Pensacola, Tally, PCB, and Jacksonville
Really??? I was under the impression ACOM was focused on providing PCPs for Alabama. It shows how much I know haha :bag:

Really??? I was under the impression ACOM was focused on providing PCPs for Alabama. It shows how much I know haha :bag:

They are PCP for Alabama and the tri-state region

Every DO school says they are "providing PCPs" for whatever region they are in I feel like. If they are private then they probably are worth a shot.

You can drop AZCOM. Your stats are too low for them.

Reactions: 1 users

1. no bias. they are one of the most competitive DO schools
2. no bias
3. not sure
4. no bias. they have a focus on underserved community though
5. no bias
6. not sure
7. biased toward gulf coast region (tx, la, ms, etc.)

Apply. Definite regional bias, but FL is considered in the region, we've got quite a few in my class from FL. As someone said earlier, avg. cGPA is 3.5, but your 28 is above average from the last stats I saw.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the 4.0 in 65 credits of post-Bac appear separately in aamc, I'm not sure if any FL MD schools rewards reinvention or if they have hard screened cutoffs but I think you should def apply to FSU as well. I'm certainly impressed by a 4.0 in 65 credits of science classes(if I'm reading that correctly), If they have a hardcore auto screen that I'm unaware of someone correct me.

Also I think your list is great, best of luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Add MUCOM, I'm from the deep south and I was accepted there. During my interview people from all over the US were there. Also I was really impressed by the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Edit: Was completely wrong and misread your post @C3H6O3 sorry bud :bag:.

I appreciate the suggestion; i just added MUCOM to my list.

Last edited:
Congrats on getting into a great school
I liked the idea of it too the rotations apparently are great.

That OOS tuition is a deal breaker for me personally(82k??????). How are you coping with the idea of paying that much ?

MUCOM =\= MSUCOM

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the 4.0 in 65 credits of post-Bac appear separately in aamc, I'm not sure if any FL MD schools rewards reinvention or if they have hard screened cutoffs but I think you should def apply to FSU as well. I'm certainly impressed by a 4.0 in 65 credits of science classes(if I'm reading that correctly), If they have a hardcore auto screen that I'm unaware of someone correct me.

Also I think your list is great, best of luck!!

It's a good idea for most people and I really appreciate the insight

I made a post specifically about my chances at fsu a couple weeks ago and the consensus was that I was a long shot. The 10 percentile in this years MSAR is a 3.4/25ish and I don't clear that with a 3.1. They don't post clear cut off number like other schools which stinks.

I'm hesitant to use time spent on a secondary for a long shot when I could focus on schools I have a shot for

I'm submitting my aacomas application Monday and then give myself one week to think it over about fsu

It's a good idea for most people and I really appreciate the insight

I made a post specifically about my chances at fsu a couple weeks ago and the consensus was that I was a long shot. The 10 percentile in this years MSAR is a 3.4/25ish and I don't clear that with a 3.1. They don't post clear cut off number like other schools which stinks.

I'm hesitant to use time spent on a secondary for a long shot when I could focus on schools I have a shot for

I'm submitting my aacomas application Monday and then give myself one week to think it over about fsu

Completely understandable! I'm glad you've thought about it and I would definitely take that consensus over my opinion. It's statistically smart and you're able to use your time and funds more wisely no doubt.

Oops read too quick thanks for correcting me

At first I was like, "what!?" MUCOM has outrageous tuition? Well they're coming off my list... Then I realized you had put OOS and MUCOM is private so then I figured you meant MSUCOM. Are you going to go there as OOS? I hear it's a great school but.... That's a ton of money..

At first I was like, "what!?" MUCOM has outrageous tuition? Well they're coming off my list... Then I realized you had put OOS and MUCOM is private so then I figured you meant MSUCOM. Are you going to go there as OOS? I hear it's a great school but.... That's a ton of money..

Nah I appreciate you taking the effort to correct me

Holy crap my transcripts were verified today. I think they made an error.

Cumulative Undergrad Science verified at 3.58 not 3.44
Cumulative Overall Verified at 3.41 not 3.3
Non-Science 3.08

I think they just didn't count my statistics or calculus classes as science.

Very weird but I'm not complaining :rolleyes:

I think I now have a better shot at my reach schools now thanks a lot for the help guys!

For DO math is not counted but kinesiology is

Reactions: 2 users