PNCOM: things to investigate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMidlife

has an opinion
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody want to share their thoughts on the new Yakima DO school? I haven't seen an acronym yet, and PNCOM is shorter than PNWUCOM. Basically, being in the first-year class for this school sounds scary to me, and I thought I'd see if anybody is more optimistic.

Here are my thoughts, to prime the pump:

Yakima: a fairly rural town with some really nice things like river rafting and access to mountains. Large underserved populations, rural poverty, and reservation med. Couple big hospitals. Couple-three hours from Seattle or Portland. Gorge concerts (Dave Matthews, every year) - yesssss......

Faculty: total unknown. I get the impression that there are loads of DO's in the area ready to dedicate some serious time.

Rotations: this could be a horror show. UWash is increasing to 216 students, and when I asked the UWash outgoing director of admissions what his thoughts were about the new osteo school, he basically said "yikes, we're struggling to have enough sites for our students much less 100+ more in the area." UW already seeds around the 5-state area. Plus Western-COMP students on the NW track rotate in WA state.

Affiliation: totally independent, and I don't see this as positive. There are branch campuses of WSU and Central in Yakima, but no full-blown university campus. To me this means PNCOM has to roll its own everything in 12 months, which I think is unlikely. Willed-body program, anyone?

Facilities: construction has started. So there will be one big new building? I wouldn't be surprised if the first couple classes have to have some labs shopped out to campuses in Ellensburg or the local community college.

My $.02.

Members don't see this ad.

trainwreck.jpg

Seems to me like it will be a facility that highly trains for primary care. Nothing wrong with that. Rural setting ... if you want to do rural FM, seems like it will be alright. As long as it's not for profit, I welcome the opening of new DO schools always.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems to me like it will be a facility that highly trains for primary care. Nothing wrong with that. Rural setting ... if you want to do rural FM, seems like it will be alright. As long as it's not for profit, I welcome the opening of new DO schools always.

Thats what we need. More low end DO schools. :thumbup:

Maybe the AOA should stop pushing for these schools in the backwoods of bumbe*uck and start researching the idea of getting more big city or university affiliated schools.

Thats what we need. More low end DO schools. :thumbup:

Maybe the AOA should stop pushing for these schools in the backwoods of bumbe*uck and start researching the idea of getting more big city or university affiliated schools.

I completely agree with you 100%. The AOA needs to start creating big schools that will develop into respected programs that branch out successfully into all specialities. However, because this school is already in motion, and clearly stating that their mission is for primary care in a rural area, there is nothing that can be done now except to hope that they can create qualified doctors in that field.

clearly stating that their mission is for primary care in a rural area

Then lets see them make a real commitment.

Graduates need to spend 5 years working in underserved areas of the state...they sign a contract when they decide to matriculate there. Regardless of what they match into, after completion of their graduate training they need to come back and play clinic doc for a while.

I will be applying to PNUHS this cycle and am absolutely ecstatic about the opportunity that it presents.

I do agree that you raise a couple good issues regarding the rotations and facilities.

First and foremost Yakima seems to get a lot of reviews from posters on the board who clearly haven't actually been there, or whose sole experience was the drive down I - 82. Yakima is a very nice location...but you aren't gonna pick up on that until you go about 40 blocks west of the highway...something only about 1% of the posters on this board have actually done. Driving thru Yakima and believing you've 'seen it' is similar to saying you've 'seen Seattle' after a trip up Aurora.

The rotations issue you raise will likely present a challenge to both the school and its students. You're very correct in your notation that the UW has absolutely saturated the area. As projected, most/many rotations will likely take place in rural hospitals...although it has to be noted that DO's tend to stick together and look out for each other. It is quite likely that certain facilities/hospitals with DO's in administration will take a keen interest in the school and might begin to favor PNUHS students over those previously welcomed from the UW.

I, even as a hopeful student, have to agree about the facilities. I am quite concerned what it will be like to attend a school without the things to which we have become accustomed. 24 hour libraries and computer labs specifically. Hopefully these items will be addressed.

My biggest concern with the school...something that I hope is addressed or made public soon...is the availability of government loan programs for the first two years. This is one of the issues that will be affecting Rocky Vista...and quite likely also PNUHS.

Some will quite likely scoff at my goal...but I'm hopin really hard for a seat in the inaugural class.

I think the Yakima school looks like a great place to be. I wanted to apply there but my SO absolutely vetoed going any further north. :( If I'm not getting any love from the schools I applied to in the next few months, I will definately apply there, though. :smuggrin:

The rotations would be my concern, too. My understanding is that COMP has had lots of trouble finding spots in the Pacific NW, and with both UW and OHSU expanding, it's only gonna get worse. My thought is that you definitely won't be in Seattle or Portland -- you'll probably have to move from one smallish city in the area to another. I honestly believe there's a real need for this school, but it's just too bad there aren't enough training sites.

I can't speak for any other rural hospital, but my hospital's utiliization by medical students is pretty close to nill. We only see a med student watching surgery or perhaps at wound care once in a blue moon. Certainly seems like there could be more use, and we're not far from WSU and U of I (involved in the UW WWAMI program). This might change tho.....

I wrote to the school to ask this directly as this school is so close to me. Here is the reply I just received.

Thank you for your inquiry into Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (PNWU). PNWU is currently in the process of applying for Federal Title IV student loan eligibility. This application process may not be complete until after classes begin in August 2008. I believe Federal Title IV eligibility must be completed before we can apply for NHS scholarship eligibility but will look into that further.

Please feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

LeAnn M. Hunter Chase, MSOD
Pacific NorthwestUniversity
of Health Sciences

Director of Admission/Financial Aid/Registration
111 S. 33rd St., Suite 104Yakima, WA98901
Phone: (509)
452-5100
Fax: (509) 834-2326

You guys should ask what hospitals (specifically) do they intend on using for your rotations. Im not against using community preceptors for rural/outpatient family med, but for surgery/internal medicine/ob you should have proper facilities.

OHSU is reducing their class size, by atleast 5 for entering class of 2012

The rotations would be my concern, too. My understanding is that COMP has had lots of trouble finding spots in the Pacific NW, and with both UW and OHSU expanding, it's only gonna get worse. My thought is that you definitely won't be in Seattle or Portland -- you'll probably have to move from one smallish city in the area to another. I honestly believe there's a real need for this school, but it's just too bad there aren't enough training sites.

OHSU is reducing their class size, by atleast 5 for entering class of 2012

Wow, that's news. I know they were planning on expanding when I applied for the class of 2010, and honestly they're too small as it is to serve the needs of Oregon (not to mention the lack of preferential admissions for Oregonians).

Budget problems?

They lost their Tort cap (the cap that capped their maximum amount they could be sued for). So now to make up for the 35million that they have been saving every year in malpractice insurance, they are cutting a heck of alot programs. Not only are they cut 5 student spots in their upcoming class they are increasing tuition by 25percent! to a grand total of 37k per year for residents and 48K for non residents.

Wow, that's news. I know they were planning on expanding when I applied for the class of 2010, and honestly they're too small as it is to serve the needs of Oregon (not to mention the lack of preferential admissions for Oregonians).

Budget problems?

They lost their Tort cap (the cap that capped their maximum amount they could be sued for). So now to make up for the 35million that they have been saving every year in malpractice insurance, they are cutting a heck of alot programs. Not only are they cut 5 student spots in their upcoming class they are increasing tuition by 25percent! to a grand total of 37k per year for residents and 48K for non residents.

Ouch.