PNWU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're straight up awesome. Thanks!

lol NP! Make sure that your love letter to PNWU (read: last question) is nice and sappy!

Members don't see this ad.

Verification that my file is complete and an email that says it's taking 2-3 weeks to review files. Is there anyone out there that has an interview yet?

Verification that my file is complete and an email that says it's taking 2-3 weeks to review files. Is there anyone out there that has an interview yet?

No interview here yet, but I did get the same e-mail today. Here's hoping!

Members don't see this ad :)
* What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?
* Which experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician?
* What inspired you to apply specifically to PNWU?

you have to submit the essays in a separate word doc after you submit the app so be careful. There's an $85 fee.

What is the word limit for secondary essays? Thank you

I was wondering if this school offers the option for Emergency medicine rotations. I was looking at information on AACOM and it looked like it wasn't even an optional rotation site. Does anyone know if this has changed?

EM is a required 4 week rotation AFTER completing and passing ALL 3rd year required rotations. The AACOM spreadsheet is wrong. After completing the required rotation there are many spots in 4th year to do more EM electives as you choose.

My aunt is an OB/GYN in Seattle and my grandma grew up in Spokanne...I'm from Montana, and the travel rate between the two states is huge. You'd have a hard time finding anyone in Montana who didn't have a relative in WA lol. It's probably one of my favorite places in the world. My husband even proposed to me while we were there one trip.

There are sites in Seattle, Spokane, Great Falls MT and Billings MT. It's definitely possible to get in if not from these areas directly and having these ties is definitely a huge plus if you can honestly talk about them and show true interest in being in the NW. If you did not state these ties initially I'd call and update this info.

As for those having to wait until December to be looked at, that really won't hold you back all that much, there are still quite a few out of area students accepted and I wouldn't let that stop you from applying if you truly have a good reason for wanting to be here (maybe you went to summer camp here or maybe you really like the mission of the school or maybe your gf lives here, etc)... don't think that any tie is too small until it's been vetted.

oh believe me I mentioned the ties in my essay (except my husband proposing to me there...I'm a little wary about advertising my marriage status. If I were a guy that might be different). I want to get back up to the NW (Montana specifically) so bad it hurts lol

I was just out at PNWU last week and took a tour. Loved the place! Scored some Miner's as well :). I'm from the area so I was STOKED when I found out there was a school.

Tomorrow will be two weeks since I was told that the file review will take 2-3 weeks. My fingers are crossed that we will start to hear something very soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, no one can call you late.

BTW... this board has been really silent application season.

early days yet...should heat up soon with committee making decisions for first round of interviews..not quite sure when those begin myself.

I was just out at PNWU last week and took a tour. Loved the place! Scored some Miner's as well :). I'm from the area so I was STOKED when I found out there was a school.

Glad you got a Miner's but bet you had to go to gym for 3 days to work it off!

I live in Yakima and it was the last school to send me a secondary invite(last week). Got me all sorts of stressed. Submitted.

I can't lie, I've totally been checking my status every few hours. I'm hoping that the committee meets before the long weekend!

I have a pretty stupid question. Is the supplemental essay supposed to be one page for each question, or one page total for all three? Thanks!!!

I have a pretty stupid question. Is the supplemental essay supposed to be one page for each question, or one page total for all three? Thanks!!!

I read it as one page total...I kind of broke it up into sections for each question but tied all three together to make a more continuous essay

I can't lie, I've totally been checking my status every few hours. I'm hoping that the committee meets before the long weekend!
I called on Friday, and they said that the committee will start making decisions next week:)

finally submitted my secondary... fingers crossed. Hopefully I get to see you guys on the interview day!

My status changed to interview today :) I have not gotten an email or phone call about the dates though! Anyone else....?

My status changed to interview today :) I have not gotten an email or phone call about the dates though! Anyone else....?
Mine changed to interview today too. I'm hoping to be able to schedule the interview tomorrow. My first interview is on Saturday:)

Mine changed to interview yesterday too!!!!!!!! Thank God for SDN, I never would have known to check (though of course I check pretty much every day anyway...except yesterday lol)

3.7 s/cGPA
33Q

Committee: 8/16
Interview: 9/6

Last edited:
I just called admissions, and they told me that the first days available to interview should be on October 7th and 21st and that an email should go out today that has a link to schedule interviews. She said they are waiting for the final approval for those dates and as soon as they get it the e-mail will go out. Congratulations to those of you with interviews and good luck for everybody this application season !!!!

Congrats to all of you that have received interview invites! My status still says committee :( I'm hoping to hear something soon. Fingers crossed.

I just called admissions, and they told me that the first days available to interview should be on October 7th and 21st and that an email should go out today that has a link to schedule interviews. She said they are waiting for the final approval for those dates and as soon as they get it the e-mail will go out. Congratulations to those of you with interviews and good luck for everybody this application season !!!!

haven't seen it yet...guess tomorrow maybe? still 1 1/2 hours in the business day PNWU!

I just got the interview e-mail! There is no link, they ask you to email them back requesting either the 7th or 21st of October for your interview. If anyone chooses the 21st I'll see you there!

Oct 7th interview!!! So excited! Anybody else going to that one? :D

I am. Did you get a confirmation e-mail after you sned your interview date?

I have not gotten any sort of conformation yet. I actually called in to schedule it, so as of now I have a vocal confirmation. Anybody else receive anything?

**Edit: I got an e-mail from Hope Ennis (b/c I e-mailed her) and she said "in the next couple of days you will receive a confirmation with the schedule of the day."

Last edited:
No confirmation here either. Does anyone know anything about a hosting program at PNWU?

I got an e-mail confirmation, it tells you to look at the portal for your interview date. I'm officially on October 7th.

Still waiting to hear something from the committee. I wonder if they will meet weekly? Is there anyone else on this thread that is still waiting as well?

Still waiting to hear something from the committee. I wonder if they will meet weekly? Is there anyone else on this thread that is still waiting as well?

Well.. I just submitted mine a couple days ago so I'm still waiting for mine to change to interview too :)
Now to begin the 2-3 weeks of waiting. Wish they had Saturday interviews..

I think we're all still waiting. I would personally like to believe that I come in with pretty competitive stats, and I still haven't heard anything, after the completed email, yet. Let's keep our fingers crossed, shall we?

I think we're all still waiting. I would personally like to believe that I come in with pretty competitive stats, and I still haven't heard anything, after the completed email, yet. Let's keep our fingers crossed, shall we?

Thanks for the response. I am from the PNW and it has been over a month since I received the email that my file would be reviewed in 2-3 weeks. I was hoping I would hear something last week when the others did but I have no update. Maybe they will get to the second stack of apps soon. I will probably wait it out another week and then call if I still haven't heard anything. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the response. I am from the PNW and it has been over a month since I received the email that my file would be reviewed in 2-3 weeks. I was hoping I would hear something last week when the others did but I have no update. Maybe they will get to the second stack of apps soon. I will probably wait it out another week and then call if I still haven't heard anything. I will keep you posted.

Just so you guys know, my status on the online portal changed and then I called the office to make sure it was for real, so if it has been over a month it might not hurt to give them a call. The lady that I talked to in the office was super sweet. Good luck! :thumbup:

Any other Yakima natives on SDN applying here? I do feel like I'm the only one...

I was complete with them 8/31 and my status just changed today to "Interview". I'm not sure if that helps.... I wouldn't hesitate to call though. Hope Ennis was super nice when I talked to her with some questions about the secondary. Good luck!

My fiance is from the area as well as my grandparents and I am very interested in staying close to my fiance's family. I know this school is pretty new, but is there any word on how well this school prepares their students for the boards? Also is there word on the quality of their rotation sites? I heard they have a great family friendly atmosphere and as well as phenomenal facilities, but was hoping to know more about the actual academics of the program.

With everyone who has done secondaries...where were you able to check your status? I submitted mine a few days back and am contemplating calling to see if they got it b/c I really didn't have much faith in that application system.

My fiance is from the area as well as my grandparents and I am very interested in staying close to my fiance's family. I know this school is pretty new, but is there any word on how well this school prepares their students for the boards? Also is there word on the quality of their rotation sites? I heard they have a great family friendly atmosphere and as well as phenomenal facilities, but was hoping to know more about the actual academics of the program.

We are below the national average for boards (though improved this year) and rotations are extremely variable and totally depend on what site you get put at and what preceptor you happen to get. Take that for what you will.