PNWU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
True, we dodged a bullet with that whole medical spanish crap. I'm sure it could be useful, but I was told you spent time singing songs and reading poems for a lot of the time. I also heard it cost you your Friday mornings since it was the only thing scheduled on many of those days. Bummer. Looks like they listened to your class on that one and histology was really good this year. Hopefully they listen and change clinical skills, comm doc, OPP, and the bad parts of your systems so that we have it better next year. I guess that is part of being at a new school, but it could also be an excuse since many of these people taught at schools where things actually seem to work well and really prepare students (according to posted board stats in other forums). I guess we just need to focus on where we are at individually and do our best.

So the first class was more primary care oriented? Well, I don't think they selected our class on that criteria. We all said that in our personal statements and did our best to say so in our interviews, but very few of us actually intended to do primary care. That's not abnormal though. All schools in the PNW (MD and DO) say they prefer students who have a background in rural primary care medicine. That is the sole reason I shadowed only rural primary care doctors before getting into school. I highly doubt they expect us to be so different from other students since all the PNW schools say they look for this quality and a large amount of the grads choose other career paths. A lot of the students accepted at PNWU applied to all 4 NW campuses and we just went where we got in. I don't see why that would be something to get upset about. If they really wanted primary care doctors they would have an incentive like LECOM and offer a 3yr program for students who commit on day one to enter only primary care. This would lower their debt burden and make primary care a lot more attractive and feasible. It only makes sense. Primary care does not take as much PG training and pays way less. So why not shorten the time it takes and the money it costs to get there?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed Apr. 13th and saw on Wednesday morning on the online "Self-Service" site that my application had been moved from Interview to Deferred Admission-2013. I confirmed with Hope Ennis and she said that this was correct (but I should wait for the official snail mail letter).

I believe I remember being told this at the tour, but can anyone confirm: are deferred admissions automatically put on the top of the waitlist?

You could make the argument that there's a difference between "teaching to the test" and teaching material that may be useful in practice. I suspect they think they're doing the latter. It does seem like nobody stops to question the practicality or tangible usefulness of these projects/lectures/assignments.

Teaching clinical care at the expense of the basic sciences in the first 2 years is just plain stupid. You have, at a minimum, 5 years to learn clinicals before you're ever an attending. However, you only have 2 years to learn the basic sciences. Our school was the same: they threw OSCEs, essays, and all kinds of group-based learning sessions in front of us while we were trying to perform well on our boards. None of it helped, even for internship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Teaching clinical care at the expense of the basic sciences in the first 2 years is just plain stupid. You have, at a minimum, 5 years to learn clinicals before you're ever an attending. However, you only have 2 years to learn the basic sciences. Our school was the same: they threw OSCEs, essays, and all kinds of group-based learning sessions in front of us while we were trying to perform well on our boards. None of it helped, even for internship.

I think most of us are referring to the non-science related content when we're venting our frustration. We have been told that many of these topics are mandated in the curriculum by COCA or whomever, but that doesn't make them any easier to sit through.

I think most of us are referring to the non-science related content when we're venting our frustration. We have been told that many of these topics are mandated in the curriculum by COCA or whomever, but that doesn't make them any easier to sit through.

????? That's what I was referring to...

????? That's what I was referring to...
You said clinical care, I interpreted that to mean 'clinical management' as in our internal medicine portion. I was referring to all the humanities and 'community involvement' sort of stuff, such as lectures on physician burnout and similar topics. The point I was trying to make was that the school thinks these topics will be useful for our lives as physicians, but we students view them as an utter waste of time when we're already stressed about boards.

You said clinical care, I interpreted that to mean 'clinical management' as in our internal medicine portion. I was referring to all the humanities and 'community involvement' sort of stuff, such as lectures on physician burnout and similar topics. The point I was trying to make was that the school thinks these topics will be useful for our lives as physicians, but we students view them as an utter waste of time when we're already stressed about boards.

I'm not sure of the specifics of the material being taught, but you did say "teaching material that may be useful in practice." I lump that in with "clinical care." These topics should only be included insofar as they do not interfere with the basic sciences. Sounds like we're agreeing.

I'm not sure of the specifics of the material being taught, but you did say "teaching material that may be useful in practice." I lump that in with "clinical care." These topics should only be included insofar as they do not interfere with the basic sciences. Sounds like we're agreeing.

Yup.

I interviewed Apr. 13th and saw on Wednesday morning on the online "Self-Service" site that my application had been moved from Interview to Deferred Admission-2013. I confirmed with Hope Ennis and she said that this was correct (but I should wait for the official snail mail letter).

I believe I remember being told this at the tour, but can anyone confirm: are deferred admissions automatically put on the top of the waitlist?

With all these deferred acceptances, I find myself recreating the last scene of Planet of the Apes in my living room! :bang:

I really hope the waitlist moves!

Sent from my VM670 using SDN Mobile

With all these deferred acceptances, I find myself recreating the last scene of Planet of the Apes in my living room! :bang:

I am so with you on this. I cannot wait any longer. I am hoping for a telephone call soon ;).

Charlton Heston collapsed on the beach yelling "Damn them to Hell"?

Wow!! Now I need to go and watch the original movie to verify this. I was under the impression it was totally different. Well, maybe I am thinking of a sequel or something. Too funny!!

Ok, so maybe a SLIGHT exaggeration on my part :smuggrin: Needless to say, the wait is killing me!

Oh well, reapplications here I come! :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard any news about whether the waitlist is moving at all?

Called PNWU today. They said they mailed out letters to the top 20 waitlisted after the last interview. I was told I should have received it already. So, has anyone else received news?

Well that is fantastic. I haven't received anything. If they sent them out right after the interview I would have received it a week ago. :(

Called PNWU today. They said they mailed out letters to the top 20 waitlisted after the last interview. I was told I should have received it already. So, has anyone else received news?

Alas, no. I have not received anything. :( Given that I hold a deferred offer, it makes me wonder how they did the ranking though.

Alas, no. I have not received anything. :( Given that I hold a deferred offer, it makes me wonder how they did the ranking though.

I am with you on this. There are so many variables that they can look at. I would have thought that deferred acceptance students would have received something. After all, you fellas are before the "waitlisters". :)

I know its a long shot, but any other news about movement on the waitlist?

I got an offer a couple of weeks ago and accepted yesterday. I am not sure if there are any spots still open though.

I just got an email today that I was in the top 10 on the waitlist (I was previously given deferred admission for next year + a spot on the waitlist) and to expect a call if they decide they want me. It specifically said it might be a last minute call, too, so don't give up hope! I'm removing myself from the waitlist since I accepted an offer somewhere else so good luck to everyone!