PNWU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The MMI format has been around for a few years and is described in detail at this website.
http://multipleminiinterview.com
there have been several threads about the process here also...that are well linked on google.

Does PNWU like to hit social/ethical questions during interviews? Seems that some schools do while others don't at all.

Members don't see this ad.

PNWU has a new website. It's much improved.

You can now check out the school student newspaper. It gives some insight on the environment at PNWU from the more "outspoken" crowd, but I think it's an entertaining read.

http://pnwu.net/soap-notes/

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know how many seats have been offered? When do non-pnw people get there files looked at? December? Got offered an interview previously but could not take it.

I just got the call! ACCEPTED!!! Class of 2016!!

Does anybody know how many seats have been offered? When do non-pnw people get there files looked at? December? Got offered an interview previously but could not take it.

more intereviews in November and December..have no idea how many seats have been offered so far. generally non PNW people are looked at all the time...but decisions may be defered unitl after january..Don't hold me that tho' PNW applicants always get preference if thier stats are good

more intereviews in November and December..have no idea how many seats have been offered so far. generally non PNW people are looked at all the time...but decisions may be defered unitl after january..Don't hold me that tho' PNW applicants always get preference if thier stats are good

It looks like interviews will continue into March, these were the dates I was given to choose from when I received my interview invite: 11/18, 12/2, 1/6, 1/20, 2/3, 2/10, and 3/9.

I will be interviewing on Nov 18th, I havn't booked any flights or hotels, would anyone consider spliting the cost? BTW I am 27 so car rental is much cheaper for me.

Looking forward to the interview, pm me if your interested in spliting the cost.

Also anyone know how many interviews will already have been conducted? It seems like its getting late in the season

Did you get any response for splitting the costs? I will be driving from seattle, since it was MUCH cheaper to fly in there, but I'll have my rental car.

Interview invite! Any other 12/2-ers? I'll be driving in from Boise.

I just withdrew my November 18th interview date so someone might get that spot!! :-D

How are current students doing with getting residency interviews? Are most going into primary care as expected? What else is popular for the current 4th year class?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you that already interviewed, how similar was your MMI interview to this?

Although the exact set-up varies from school to school, an MMI usually includes six to ten stations from eight to ten minutes in duration with a group of applicants rotating through the stations. The instructions for the station may be posted outside the room and the applicant is given two minutes to read and analyze the instructions prior to entering the room. Typically, six to eight minutes are allocated to completing the station before moving on to the next one. Types of stations may include:
  • Ethical dilemmas or questions about policy or social issues. The instructions describe a situation and then ask the candidate to discuss the ethical or other issues involved. The interviewer may follow up with questions designed to probe the applicant's response.
  • Interactions with an actor. At these stations, the applicant is provided with a scenario involving an individual who is played by an actor. The applicant may need to give the individual bad news, confront the person about a problem or gather information. An observer present in the room will rate the applicant based on his or her interaction with the actor.
  • Standard interview questions. An MMI may include one or more stations with traditional interview questions such as "Why did you apply to this school?" or "Describe an obstacle that you have overcome."
  • A task requiring teamwork. Since the ability to work as part of a team is essential to medicine, some stations involve two applicants working together to complete a task.
  • Essay writing. Some schools include an essay component as part of the interview process so a station may involve responding to a prompt in writing. This station may be longer than the others to allow for the applicant to formulate and write the response.
  • A rest station. An interview takes a lot of energy, since the applicant is "on" the whole time and being presented with challenging tasks at every station. Fortunately, many MMIs include a rest station. Avoid spending the break time rehashing previous questions and what you should have said or done. Clear your mind and get ready for the next station.

(taken from an article on MMI on SDN.)

So, initial thoughts from the 11-18 interviews?

I really enjoyed the new MMI format, it's much more fun than the standard 20. The PNWU staff is super friendly and the experience overall was very pleasant. Good luck dannydickman on your interview.

Last edited:
Patiently for my status to update. Fingers crossed.

I definitely think the waiting is the hardest part of the whole process! I interviewed on 11/18 as well. I really liked the school and felt great at the end of the day.. so fingers crossed and good luck to everyone!!

How are current students doing with getting residency interviews? Are most going into primary care as expected? What else is popular for the current 4th year class?

I would love to get some input on this. It might also be helpful for those currently applying.

My status is waitlisted! I am discouraged but not defeated! Does anyone have any advice for those of us waitlisted? And does anyone know how many people are waitlisted and how many from that list are accepted? Congrats on everyone accepted so far! Hopefully I am soon to join you!

I am hoping that I gain acceptance to this school!!!! Does anyone know how long it takes to receive an interview after one becomes complete? Thanks!!!:)

Got the call tonight :) I'm so excited to become part of the PNWU family.

Hello, does anyone know what the COMLEX pass rates are for PNWU? A question for current students, what are your thoughts on the academics here? Feel well prepared? Thanks in advance

Class of 2012 had about 82% first time pass rate for COMLEX 1( total pass rate yet to be determined) not unusual for a new school that let every student take the exam without being held back and no required board review course), class of 2013 had 92% first time pass rate( again total pass rate to be determined)and while national average is yet to be publishd by NBOME it appears to be around national average.For 2013 board review course was required and those who did not pass COMSAE with a certain score were held back until they got that score..those who did poorly on systems course wrok were required to put in extra study time before attempting COMSAE.

I just created a Facebook page for PNWU Class of 2016 :) If you will be accepting your offer or already have please send a request to join the group! I look forward to meeting all of you.

Class of 2012 had about 82% first time pass rate for COMLEX 1( total pass rate yet to be determined) not unusual for a new school that let every student take the exam without being held back and no required board review course), class of 2013 had 92% first time pass rate( again total pass rate to be determined)and while national average is yet to be publishd by NBOME it appears to be around national average.For 2013 board review course was required and those who did not pass COMSAE with a certain score were held back until they got that score..those who did poorly on systems course wrok were required to put in extra study time before attempting COMSAE.

Were there any numbers about students taking the USMLE?

The school hasn't released that information to the students directly, but I read an article by our Dean in the most recent Washington Osteopathic Medical Association newsletter that mentioned that ~60% of the class of 2012 are planning on primary care specialties.

I've applied to PNWU and am a bit confused regarding the secondary application. On the website it states that a student of interest will be 'invited' to complete the secondary application:

"STEP 2: Supplemental Application Once PNWU-COM has received and reviewed your AACOMAS application, we may invite you to submit a PNWU-COM supplemental application. This invitation will be sent via email."

http://www.pnwu.org/students/prospective-students/apply/

Yet after waiting months for an email either way - I happened upon this page on the PNWU site: that states "
Applications to PNWU-COM are made by submitting a primary application through the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOMAS) and completing the following supplemental application."

https://ssp.pnwu.org/SelfServiceWeb/Admissions/Application.aspx?applicationformid=2

I'm confused - if we've submitted our application through AACOMAS do we need to wait for an email secondary app invite? or do we just goto the site listed above - write the essay, supply the letters of evaluation, pay the fee and we are in the running?? Very confusing!

The school hasn't released that information to the students directly, but I read an article by our Dean in the most recent Washington Osteopathic Medical Association newsletter that mentioned that ~60% of the class of 2012 are planning on primary care specialties.

Gotcha. Sometimes the class is small enough that you can get a feel for what's popular. Just wondering if anyone had gotten the sense. A few more months and we'll have the match list to look at I suppose.

I've applied to PNWU and am a bit confused regarding the secondary application. On the website it states that a student of interest will be 'invited' to complete the secondary application:

"STEP 2: Supplemental ApplicationOnce PNWU-COM has received and reviewed your AACOMAS application, we may invite you to submit a PNWU-COM supplemental application. This invitation will be sent via email."

http://www.pnwu.org/students/prospective-students/apply/

Yet after waiting months for an email either way - I happened upon this page on the PNWU site: that states "
Applications to PNWU-COM are made by submitting a primary application through the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOMAS) and completing the following supplemental application."

https://ssp.pnwu.org/SelfServiceWeb/Admissions/Application.aspx?applicationformid=2

I'm confused - if we've submitted our application through AACOMAS do we need to wait for an email secondary app invite? or do we just goto the site listed above - write the essay, supply the letters of evaluation, pay the fee and we are in the running?? Very confusing!

I believe they send you an invitation because you have to create an account in order to submit the secondary. If you've been waiting for months to hear back I would give the office of admissions a call, they are very friendly & helpful.

I just received a secondary invitation today...I am not from the area.

Is it too late to submit the secondary?
I did get the email that they are looking at those from the Pacific Northwest area first, up until Dec 1.

no numbers for usmle...was sorta sporadic for class of 2012...hopefully more data on that later in the year

that is about right from what I have been seeing...class of 2013 still in 3rd year and making their decisions..

I just received a secondary invitation today...I am not from the area.

Is it too late to submit the secondary?
I did get the email that they are looking at those from the Pacific Northwest area first, up until Dec 1.

submit your secondary.... we are beginning to look at outside PNW on apps...
make sure to note why you WANT to be in PNW and whether you plan to practice in 5 state area...and any family connections there at all

I'm hoping that the committee will still look at my application. I was complete on the 21st of November and I still haven't heard a word. I check my portal every hour and it is still in committee status. I am from Idaho and I definitely will stay in in the Northwest. We shall see!!!:scared:

How did the 12/2 interviews go?

I was there interviewing with a fellow coworker (of all people!) and I thought the group as a whole had a pretty strong showing. Everyone was super friendly and I think we all enjoyed the interview day. I attribute it to the laid-back nature of us pacific northwesterners ;)

It's hard to judge how everyone did in their individual MMI rooms, so there's no telling how everyone performed under pressure, how well they responded to the ethical dilemmas, and what their GPA/MCATs were. The committee meets on Tuesday, and those that are accepted will receive a call late that day. The rest will get a snail mail letter saying their either rejected or waitlisted. Top 20 waitlist spots are ranked.

It was a pleasure meeting everyone (staff included!) and I wish you all the best of luck!

Good to hear. Let us know when you find out tomorrow! For the record, your status will be updated on your online portal account. I know that last year when I was denied it updated right away and this year there was an applicant who saw online Tuesday night that they were waitlisted. Thank goodness for technology :)

P.S. My call came in after 5pm Yak time so don't sit by the phone all day :)

Good luck!

I was there interviewing with a fellow coworker (of all people!) and I thought the group as a whole had a pretty strong showing. Everyone was super friendly and I think we all enjoyed the interview day. I attribute it to the laid-back nature of us pacific northwesterners ;)

It's hard to judge how everyone did in their individual MMI rooms, so there's no telling how everyone performed under pressure, how well they responded to the ethical dilemmas, and what their GPA/MCATs were. The committee meets on Tuesday, and those that are accepted will receive a call late that day. The rest will get a snail mail letter saying their either rejected or waitlisted. Top 20 waitlist spots are ranked.

It was a pleasure meeting everyone (staff included!) and I wish you all the best of luck!

So I clicked on the link in my email and the whole form shows up in firefox. Will it really not work if I submit it through firefox? I use a mac... anyone know??

I use firefox on a mac and didn't have any issues.

edit: take it back, I did have issues, but I emailed Hope right away and she was super helpful and expedient in fixing the problem.

if you were complete 21st of Novemberand are still waiting call leann or Hope and see what the status is...i would think you will be hear soon>>>a whole mess of applications were reviewed this last week by the committee

Interviewed Dec. 2, got the call at 3:50 Yakima time.

Hi
wondering about the "activities" section, did you fill in everything, or just shadowing/healthcare stuff... also, do you guys think volunteering for the NSP (ski patrol) would count as healthcare? Thoughts?