PNWU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
With everyone who has done secondaries...where were you able to check your status? I submitted mine a few days back and am contemplating calling to see if they got it b/c I really didn't have much faith in that application system.

You should get an email (there is a delay so if it's only been a few days, wait a few more) with a link to the status page. I got antsy and emailed and they sent me the link the same day I got a reply...not sure if that was coincidental or if my email prompted it. Anyway, wait a couple more days and then shoot Ms. Ennis an email.

Members don't see this ad.

You should get an email (there is a delay so if it's only been a few days, wait a few more) with a link to the status page. I got antsy and emailed and they sent me the link the same day I got a reply...not sure if that was coincidental or if my email prompted it. Anyway, wait a couple more days and then shoot Ms. Ennis an email.

It came a few days back. It isn't an application if you aren't anxious.

So, it's normal to not get a confirmation email after submitting the application? I clicked finish and the site took me to a different page without any sort of confirmation and so I was a little anxious.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete with them 8/31 and my status just changed today to "Interview". I'm not sure if that helps.... I wouldn't hesitate to call though. Hope Ennis was super nice when I talked to her with some questions about the secondary. Good luck!

Thanks! I did call on Monday to ask about my file. I was told that it was still in review and that I should hear something this week. Were you given the same dates as those that were offered interviews the week before you or did you get November dates?

We are below the national average for boards (though improved this year) and rotations are extremely variable and totally depend on what site you get put at and what preceptor you happen to get. Take that for what you will.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. It should equate with more of us into primary care which is the school's mission. If the school is selecting people for primary care maybe they don't need that 700 comlex to get where they want to go and passing is good.

What was the pass rate this year? Is that posted anywhere?

That's not necessarily a bad thing. It should equate with more of us into primary care which is the school's mission. If the school is selecting people for primary care maybe they don't need that 700 comlex to get where they want to go and passing is good.

What was the pass rate this year? Is that posted anywhere?

First of all, how nefarious, underhanded and cruel would it be for a school to deliberately hobble its students' chances for the residency of their choosing by giving them an education that's only good enough for primary care? (I'm not trying to bash primary care, just the strategy).

As for the pass rate, we were told it was somewhere around 94% this past year. I can't speak for scores themselves, but Sylvanthus hasn't been very forthcoming with how well he performed. I'm not trying to shatter anyone's anonymity, but just so you know. The guy far from failed them.

First of all, how nefarious, underhanded and cruel would it be for a school to deliberately hobble its students' chances for the residency of their choosing by giving them an education that's only good enough for primary care? (I'm not trying to bash primary care, just the strategy).

As for the pass rate, we were told it was somewhere around 94% this past year. I can't speak for scores themselves, but Sylvanthus hasn't been very forthcoming with how well he performed. I'm not trying to shatter anyone's anonymity, but just so you know. The guy far from failed them.

Hmmm I didn't really want to post my score as it would seem too much like bragging. But, guess I can, just so people see that the school doesn't really determine how well you do on boards. I managed a 732 on the COMLEX, which was well above the 99th percentile and a 250 on the USMLE. So, regardless of how well the school prepares you, the bulk of the responsibility is on you. No matter what school you go to, you can do well if you prepare well.

Hmmm I didn't really want to post my score as it would seem too much like bragging. But, guess I can, just so people see that the school doesn't really determine how well you do on boards. I managed a 732 on the COMLEX, which was well above the 99th percentile and a 250 on the USMLE. So, regardless of how well the school prepares you, the bulk of the responsibility is on you. No matter what school you go to, you can do well if you prepare well.

:boom:Boom. Strong work. And a great point.

Last edited:

I didn't mean to say that PNWU would hobble people. My guess was that if more people want primary care then maybe there is less pressure to do outstanding and that would lead to a lower board score in general.

I know I would like primary care and I have no plan to have too many late nights working on board prep. Not all of us need to be extreme with our studies to reach our goals. A pass rate in the mid 90's are my kind of odds :)

Last edited:

Very well done. Good to know a lot on how we do is up to us as individual students.

I didn't mean to say that PNWU would hobble people. My guess was that if more people want primary care then maybe there is less pressure to do outstanding and that would lead to a lower board score in general.

I know I would like primary care and I have no plan to have too many late nights working on board prep. Not all of us need to be extreme with our studies to reach our goals. A pass rate in the mid 90's are my kind of odds :)

You've made that argument before, though whether you desire primary care or not, you still owe it to your patients to learn as much as you possibly can. I would be appalled if I knew my doctor simply thought, "meh, that's good enough" when it came to his education and my healthcare.

You've made that argument before, though whether you desire primary care or not, you still owe it to your patients to learn as much as you possibly can. I would be appalled if I knew my doctor simply thought, "meh, that's good enough" when it came to his education and my healthcare.

You have to draw the line somewhere and I guess I like to draw that line a few hours sooner than others in my position. Whats wrong with that if I'm performing similarly well? Isn't "good enough" good enough? It's not like I pick my rear with my free time, I do have hobbies.

Anyway, I understand the "all out" mentality. All those premed kids in undergrad had it too and they were hard to be around for more than a couple minutes at a time. I think it's good to keep your life intact despite higher education. This "meh" approach you think I have has gotten me this far and I can't complain with the results. Just relax and jump for the professor when you're told and this whole process becomes a lot more simple.

I would like to add that no one in my class would call me lazy. I'm not that student at all. When I'm at school I get things done, don't mess around. I don't like to be there any longer than necessary so I make sure I stay focused. Maybe that's why I don't need as much time to rehash all the notes and I can watch me some Squidbillies.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You have to draw the line somewhere and I guess I like to draw that line a few hours sooner than others in my position. Whats wrong with that if I'm performing similarly well? Isn't "good enough" good enough? It's not like I pick my rear with my free time, I do have hobbies.

Anyway, I understand the "all out" mentality. All those premed kids in undergrad had it too and they were hard to be around for more than a couple minutes at a time. I think it's good to keep your life intact despite higher education. This "meh" approach you think I have has gotten me this far and I can't complain with the results. Just relax and jump for the professor when you're told and this whole process becomes a lot more simple.

I would like to add that no one in my class would call me lazy. I'm not that student at all. When I'm at school I get things done, don't mess around. I don't like to be there any longer than necessary so I make sure I stay focused. Maybe that's why I don't need as much time to rehash all the notes and I can watch me some Squidbillies.

If you're doing well and learning the material, by all means continue.

From my perspective, the rationale of only wanting to achieve the bare minimum because you know your desired specialty is noncompetitive seemed disgusting. I understand having hobbies. Medical school sucks you dry and you need to have something to help remember that you're human.

My point was that, primary care or otherwise, we're dealing with patients' lives and it's our responsibility to ensure we are prepared as possible. Maybe it doesn't seem to matter now with your Histo Image Exams and Anatomy practicals with the fake ****oo clock sound that rings every minute, but one day it will indeed count for something.

As for Squidbillies, those characters remind of people I see every time I go outside in Yakima.

How do I withdraw from this school? I would really like to give somebody else my October 7th date, but I can't find a withdraw link or anything...do I have to email them?

How do I withdraw from this school? I would really like to give somebody else my October 7th date, but I can't find a withdraw link or anything...do I have to email them?

I think you do have to email or give them a call. Did you accept a position somewhere else? My application status still says 'committee' and I'm hoping to hear from PNWU any day now. Good luck with everything, I assume it's safe to say congrats on your acceptance elsewhere?

You can just tell them you're giving it to me. It works like that, right? :D

Hey everyone! Just curious if we have any recent updates regarding interviews??? It has now been 7 weeks since I was told that my file was in review. I called the week before last and was told that I should hear from them that week. I still haven't heard anything and my online status still says that my file is with the committee. I imagine that if I was denied my status would have updated or I would have received a letter in the mail? Is anyone else (from the pacific northwest) in my same situation? I'll be calling in the next few days and will update with the info that I get.

Congrats to those of you who have been invited to interview. Good luck on the big day!

Hey all, is anybody else getting antsy for Friday? I'm excited, going to be staying at the Howard Johnson Thursday night. Anybody else staying there?

So what did everyone think of yesterday? Its going to be a long few days until the committee decides!

Last edited:
So what did everyone think of yesterday? Its going to be a long few days until the committee decides!
I didn't think that the school was a good fit for me, so I am going to pull myself from the school.

Status update: interview :) Now I'm just waiting for the email...

am disappointed! I was certainly hoping to meet you during interviews..
:(

any feedback as to how those that interviewed on Oct 7 felt the mini multiple interview format went?

I'm glad you posted this because I was unaware that PNWU changed the interview format. Can you give more details about the interview process this cycle. THANK YOU!

any feedback as to how those that interviewed on Oct 7 felt the mini multiple interview format went?

The MMI style had pros & cons, but I personally found it very stressful since we weren't told ahead of time about the format change and I (and probably others) had been preparing based on last year's forum. I walked away sure I wasn't going to be accepted, so the call yesterday was a pleasant (and much wanted) surprise. Additionally, 5mins with interviewer just didn't seem like nearly enough time, but I also can't say that more time would have been helpful either. The rest of the interview process was fine, fairly low stress, and everyone was very friendly. I would say if it is possible to integrate more current students into the interview process (like on the tour or info sessions) that might give interviewees a better feel for the type of students PNWU accepts and could be potential classmates. I really enjoyed having the opportunity to interact with other interviewees, though, which help calm some of my nerves. Hope this feedback helps!

Even tho this thread has been super quiet, I wanted to let anybody who is still reading/interested know that I have started a class of 2016 thread under medical student forums--> osteopathic class threads. Hopefully either myself or somebody else will make a FB page eventually...

I'm scheduled for the 18th. I might end up canceling it though depending on what I hear from KCUMB. I know PNWU has a great school but I just can't afford to travel this much if I get accepted at DMU and KCUMB.

I will be interviewing on Nov 18th, I havn't booked any flights or hotels, would anyone consider spliting the cost? BTW I am 27 so car rental is much cheaper for me.

Looking forward to the interview, pm me if your interested in spliting the cost.

Also anyone know how many interviews will already have been conducted? It seems like its getting late in the season

I will be interviewing on Nov 18th, I havn't booked any flights or hotels, would anyone consider spliting the cost? BTW I am 27 so car rental is much cheaper for me.

Looking forward to the interview, pm me if your interested in spliting the cost.

Also anyone know how many interviews will already have been conducted? It seems like its getting late in the season

As far as I know only one group as been interview so far at PNWU. Before December is still early for this school.

Still waiting to hear back on my secondary...I've established an OCD like pattern for checking the status of all my secondaries.

:xf: Boise native, complete today! I was kicked out of the application after paying and couldn't upload my essays, so I emailed Hope and she took care of all of it today. Email said 3-4 weeks to review my file. Throw me in the 11/18 interview pool already! :p

It's early in the application season so I imagine this could be useful.

PNWU is an osteopathic medical school. You will touch your classmates in a professional way so that you can learn how to treat future patients. You will do this a lot. You may or may not have a shirt on during OPP and clinical skills (girls will have a sports bra on for these exercises). Part of doing a physical exam involves inspecting the skin and its textures and temperature. Make sure you can handle this before you accept and lay down a hefty deposit.

That is all :)

PNWU is an osteopathic medical school. You will touch your classmates in a professional way so that you can learn how to treat future patients. You will do this a lot. You may or may not have a shirt on during OPP and clinical skills (girls will have a sports bra on for these exercises). Part of doing a physical exam involves inspecting the skin and its textures and temperature. Make sure you can handle this before you accept and lay down a hefty deposit.

That wasn't you, was it?:laugh::D

Haha! No, I'm here 'til the end. Even if I don't "like" something I just push through and count down the days.

It did make for some good :corny: time though :lol:

I tried to read through that letter, but the amount of inane rambling going on was just too much for me to get through it all. He had a couple of valid and decent points, but good lord, he really did not know what he was getting into and was completely naieve about medical education.

I am just surprised people even cared what he thought. Perhaps they needed their drama fix?

Just hope it wasn't too late to replace him. Would suck if he took someone else's spot that would have stayed through all of medical school.

Oh man, you can't hint at stuff like that without putting it up! What happened?

The MMI style had pros & cons, but I personally found it very stressful since we weren't told ahead of time about the format change and I (and probably others) had been preparing based on last year's forum. I walked away sure I wasn't going to be accepted, so the call yesterday was a pleasant (and much wanted) surprise. Additionally, 5mins with interviewer just didn't seem like nearly enough time, but I also can't say that more time would have been helpful either. The rest of the interview process was fine, fairly low stress, and everyone was very friendly. I would say if it is possible to integrate more current students into the interview process (like on the tour or info sessions) that might give interviewees a better feel for the type of students PNWU accepts and could be potential classmates. I really enjoyed having the opportunity to interact with other interviewees, though, which help calm some of my nerves. Hope this feedback helps!

yes it does help!!!

Even tho this thread has been super quiet, I wanted to let anybody who is still reading/interested know that I have started a class of 2016 thread under medical student forums--> osteopathic class threads. Hopefully either myself or somebody else will make a FB page eventually...

LeAnn or Hope will likely be starting a page soon on facebook.
:thumbup:

I'm glad you posted this because I was unaware that PNWU changed the interview format. Can you give more details about the interview process this cycle. THANK YOU!

The MMI format has been around for a few years and is described in detail at this website.
http://multipleminiinterview.com
there have been several threads about the process here also...that are well linked on google.

Somebody have a meltdown during class?