Podiatry school internship programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nole Chief Chad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here is planning on attending any of the winter or summer internship programs for any of the podiatry schools?

I am applying for the winter internship programs at Temple and Ohio right now but I might have to wait until summer because my spring classes start during the internships.

Also, any feedback from anyone who has attended any of these internships in the past would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, i would like to be the first to give input on these programs.

I attended two programs at New York College of Podiatric Medicine and Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine. Although, they are short in length and more of a "college tour", it gives you exposure to what each school offers.

NYCPM:
Presentations in diabetic wound care, podopediatrics, lower extremity anatomy and a suturing workshop. The prof taught three suturing technqiues. The thing that stood out the most about NYCPM was the clinic. It was packed with patients and pod med students seem to get a lot more exposure than OCPM. There was not a single student with gaps in their clinic. You will meet amazing doctors at NYCPM, especially Dr. Gitlin and Dr Godoy. In all, I feel that NYCPM will prepare any student, if he or she puts in the effort, to pass the boards and become a licensed podiatrist.

OCPM: Just shadowed third and fourth year students at the VA medical center, OCPM's clinic, and the Foot and Ankle Institute. Cleveland and Independence are great areas to live in, but it seems like every student must have a car in order to attend. Another positive aspect was the school in general. It was recently built and the facilities were top-notched. The cadaver labs, lecture halls, cafeteria, library, and student center were brand new and comfortable.

I belive that the internship programs absolutely helped with applying to podiatry school as it was brought up during my interview at NYCPM. It shows genuine interest in podiatric medicine and their podiatry school and reinforced experience in podiatry.

Feel free to ask me any specifics. Be more than willing to help

Accepted NYCPM Class of 2015

Hi!

Thank you for the insight! These are actually the two schools I am looking to do the internship at since I live very close to the Ohio school and I have family in NYC I can stay with if I go.

Also, do you know if there are other schools that offer internship programs? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

Thank you for the insight! These are actually the two schools I am looking to do the internship at since I live very close to the Ohio school and I have family in NYC I can stay with if I go.

Also, do you know if there are other schools that offer internship programs? Thanks
DMU and Samuel merritt come to mind.

- I attended the summer 3 day workshop at CSPM. I thought it was very good and a great way to get a feel of what podiatry school is all about and what it has to offer.
- Also, you get "in the system" with the school by attending these workshops/internships. Although I did not end up choosing CSPM as the school for me, I definitely feel like it is worth going to if you are interested in the school and podiatry in general.

Hi

Would these interships be frowned upon if you applied to other schools?

Say you do an internship at Temple, with no intention of going there for school. You just do the internship for exposure and experience.

If then, lets say you apply to DMU or Scholl, and note on your application that you completed this internship. Would it be frowned upon or viewed negatively?

Thanks

I don't think they are frowned upon. I mean there are only 9 school in the US so I'm sure they know you most likely chose an internship at the nearest POD school.

But if you have one in your city and didn't do the internship there, and did one that is in some other state, then that may raise an eyebrow.

Does anyone know if it would help me if I did the Exploratory Visit instead of a Internship? The internship dates interfere some plans I already have.

Here is the site: http://www.nycpm.edu/openhouse.asp