Podiatry School Pre-Reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jturpin4

EKU Pre-OT '10
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I will be a freshman at Eastern Kentucky University in the fall. My declared major so far is Occupational Science (Pre-Occupational Therapy). I am really confused about the pre-requisites of Podiatry School. I went to the Podiatry School's websites and was confused even more. I understand that you need these:

Biology - 8 semester hours

General or inorganic chemistry - 8 semester hours

Organic chemistry - 8 semester hours

Physics - 8 semester hours

English - 6 semester hours

It doesnt say what EXACT classes you need to take though. 8 semester hours??? Will that be like 2 classes with 2 labs? In my Occupational Science major, I only have 17 free electives. I guess that isnt enough. Should I choose a different major? I also want to take the pre-requisites to get into Occupational Therapy school just in case I wont get accepted into Pod School. Those pre-requisites are Human Anatomy, Human Physiology, Neuroanatomy, Advanced Human Anatomy, Psychology, Statistics, and an Occupational Science course. What should I do? Is it smart to take pre-requisites for Occupational Therapy school just in case I dont get accepted into Pod School? Will that be looked down upon by Pod School Admissions Committee? Thanks for taking your time and reading this!

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like you've got it. 8 hours means to classes w/ labs. 6 hours means 2 classes w/o labs.

I think you are smart to have a back up plan, you never know what twist life will throw you. If you have 17 elective classes, use 2 for organic chem, 2 gen chem, 2 physics, and 2 english. That is only 8 classes so you still have 9 electives.

I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions let me know.

Dr_Feelgood said:
Seems like you've got it. 8 hours means to classes w/ labs. 6 hours means 2 classes w/o labs.

I think you are smart to have a back up plan, you never know what twist life will throw you. If you have 17 elective classes, use 2 for organic chem, 2 gen chem, 2 physics, and 2 english. That is only 8 classes so you still have 9 electives.

I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions let me know.

Dr Feelgood,

I only have 17 elective hours, sorry for the confusion. So would you recommend a different major? I also need my Occupational Therapy school pre requisites, which most are anatomy/physiology stuff listed above. I guess a major in either Biology or Psychology would be the best bet, huh?

Members don't see this ad :)
jturpin4 said:
Dr Feelgood,

I only have 17 elective hours, sorry for the confusion. So would you recommend a different major? I also need my Occupational Therapy school pre requisites, which most are anatomy/physiology stuff listed above. I guess a major in either Biology or Psychology would be the best bet, huh?

You'll need A and P for pod school also. You don't need the psychology.

I want to tell you that you need to change you major. I would discuss this with your advisor. Another opition is talking the extra work in the summer. You could keep the OT major and take the chemistry in the summer. It might be nice if you have a community college b/c organic is not the sunniest class so it maybe a bit easier.

You'll be fine. It might involve taking OVER the recommended course load but you can do it. I am a double major in Information Science and German..neither of which have many courses involved for premed aside from calc and stat.....if you look at the requirements a lot of times they like you to have like 14-15 credit hours a semester...so if you up it to 18 a few times, and maybe do a summer it really isn't a problem to fulfill requirements.

As far as the English credits go. I think most majors and/or Universities require a Freshman English class. Which means you'll only need one more English class to fulfill the requirement. I took creative writing in undergrad, and let me tell you, that was all about how well you could B.S. (beautiful sharing) See how easy!
For more examples of creative writing please refer yourself to any of Dr. Feelgood's posts.

The Stone said:
!
For more examples of creative writing please refer yourself to any of Dr. Feelgood's posts.

:laugh: I have to listen to his vocal creative writings every day. He sure does know how to Beautifully Share. :laugh:

The Stone said:
As far as the English credits go. I think most majors and/or Universities require a Freshman English class. Which means you'll only need one more English class to fulfill the requirement. I took creative writing in undergrad, and let me tell you, that was all about how well you could B.S. (beautiful sharing) See how easy!
Stone talking trash, NICE!

Hey jturpin4, i'm a junior at EKU and I have completed most of the pre-requisites that you mentioned (I'm pre-pharmacy, however). If you want to complete both the podiatry and occupational therapy pre-requisites, while working towards a bachelors degree then i would suggest a biology major. All of the pre-podiatry requirements are needed for the biology degree while only a few of the pre-pod courses count towards the occupational therapy degree.

If you ever have any questions regarding courses, professors, or EKU in general feel free to PM me. Best of luck at Eastern!

The Stone said:

I'm dead inside b/c of these hurtful comments. Now, the stone moves to the top of my to kill list. I'll be in the bell tower this afternoon.

A poem to Dr. Feelgood

I at once extend the laurel branch to ease your troubled mind
For if my words hath offended thee, I'm sure they were not kind.
Your careful pros and kind felt words lift up a troubled soul.
And mine doth bite and nip and tuck - Hey I'm a plastic surgeon!

See Dr. Feelgood you're much better at this then I could ever esteem to be.

With deepest apologies from the tucked-in corners of my being.

The Stone said:
A poem to Dr. Feelgood

I at once extend the laurel branch to ease your troubled mind
For if my words hath offended thee, I'm sure they were not kind.
Your careful pros and kind felt words lift up a troubled soul.
And mine doth bite and nip and tuck - Hey I'm a plastic surgeon!

See Dr. Feelgood you're much better at this then I could ever esteem to be.

With deepest apologies from the tucked-in corners of my being.

No problem. I'm crossing you name off the list right now and if you ever get into a high school equivalency contest with a guy who is trying to take over your father's hotel business, I'll shot him in the rear. And then you'll say, "I'm glad I called that guy!"

Stone,

I really enjoyed that poem, so found one that I would like to share.

There once was a man from Nantucket......

Well maybe that one is not appropriate for this forum. I'll keep looking. ;)