Podiatry School vs Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dhooy7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I struggled in medical school first year with a learning disability. I did well in undergrad with a 3.97. However, I failed 2 courses and need to repeat the year,

I'm debating about what I should do going forward. I didn't have a solid schedule and relied on too many outside resources. Is podiatry as hard as medical school? I had to take the MCAT and got 500. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I am sorry to hear that. Most of the Podiatry programs are affiliated with either an MD or a DO school, so students at these programs are taking the same or similar exams as other students along with the basic sci courses. That said, you will have a hard time passing classes in the podiatry program, given your recent history.

You should get help and work on your disability with professionals. And, talk to counselors/advisers at your current program moving forward. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I struggled in medical school first year with a learning disability. I did well in undergrad with a 3.97. However, I failed 2 courses and need to repeat the year,

I'm debating about what I should do going forward. I didn't have a solid schedule and relied on too many outside resources. Is podiatry as hard as medical school? I had to take the MCAT and got 500. Any advice?
Few questions for you. You seem like a bright kid just struggling with some learning disabilities. Before jumping ship you need to consider a few things.

1. Why do I want to make the switch from MD/DO to DPM? Am I ready to only specialize in feet? Have I shadowed a podiatrist before and can see myself doing this 10, 15, 20 years down the line?

2. What issues did I face and have I taken steps to resolve them? What did I struggle with specifically? What plans or protocols do I have set in place to avoid them the second time around? Have I done anything differently since my last failure?

3. Have I looked at the curriculum and course load associated with a DPM program? If I am struggling with courseloads in an MD/DO program, how would taking a DPM course load be any easier? Do I have the financial stability to apply, get in, and hopefully survive a DPM curriculum?

I don't think it's going to be as easy as you think it is.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Podiatry school IS medical school.

Reactions: 5 users

Solid advice from Dexter and Weirdy.

Do everything you can to succeed in MD program. If you are not going to be successful getting through, I would look into something else. I wouldn't go to DPM program just because it might be a little easier. It's not worth considering DPM just to try and see if you can succeed in it. If 3.97 student fails MD, school, I would think there are other reasons for that besides how hard a program is. Most likely they will fail at DPM program for same reasons.

So, seek help, try to resolve whatever holds you back, and keep going.

Thanks! So Des Moines and Barry basically have the same curriculum? I just thought it might not be quite as competitive with the lower MCAT averages and lower GPAs. I struggled to rely on others notes that were way too long.

I'm actually in a DO program. I just thought about surgery and have no chance doing anything with surgery where I'm at rn. Also are residencies as competitive as MD/DO residency programs? Thanks!

I need to shadow a podiatrist just to see more of what it's like tbh. Bones and muscles surgery and radiology all are very interesting. Being at a DO school right now there is no opportunity to do any of these where I'm at now, unfortunately.

Are there any podiatry schools with PBL curriculms? I was required to attend classes and didn't do as well. The small groups are much better for me.

Do you like ”debriding” toenails?
I've never done it. I honestly have no problem with the feet. Gross things like that and dissections do not both me at all.

I've never done it. I honestly have no problem with the feet. Gross things like that and dissections do not both me at all.

sounds good. You’ll fit right in. As others have mentioned the curriculum is as difficult as med school. be sure to shadow as well

Id like to be closer to home as well. I need to shadow as you mentioned to make sure this is the right fit.

What are some of the top programs? Is DMU a good program? I would just be looking for somewhere with good placements for residency and high board scores.

I'm just curious.

What are some of the top programs? Is DMU a good program? I would just be looking for somewhere with good placements for residency and high board scores.

I'm just curious.

You’ll get a good education anywhere. I think tuition cost, cost of living, etc is as important in making your decision as anything else. However, board scores are usually higher in the DO affiliated schools (but not substantially). Doing well on boards and getting a good residency is for the most part just up to the student.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm just curious.
So you failed two courses. Did you fail them both in first semester? Did they give you any options to remediate or you the only option they gave you is repeating a year?

I think repeating a year is better than applying to another school/program, not knowing if you will get in and if you will succeed. At least you know what it's like at your school and you will be somewhat adjusted when you repeat a year. It's not like curriculum is impossible. Others at your school succeed. I would suggest meeting with other students, faculty, and/or student help center to figure out what you need to do to succeed this time.

I would be hesitant to accept you into DPM program, even if you have good stats, because you failed at DO program and didn't try your best to turn things around. It would tell me that you could do the same thing at my school once you faced some challenges.

Good luck!

I'm just curious.
We have pass/fail boards. Clerkships and Residency are primarily based on GPA, therefore, if you want to be competitive among other DPM students, it wont be a walk in the park.

I failed due to 2 points first semester and 2 second semester. I suffered a concussion and my focus was severely impacted. Trying to figure this out.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using SDN mobile

Technically still in program but nothing else counts towards grades. Gonna go back home in a few weeks.

Dismissed?
I'm waiting on the decision rn. Most likely not dismissed but unsure. I'd love to talk to you about your experience in the podiatry program if you are willing when you have more time. Trying to gather as much information as possible

I'm waiting on the decision rn. Most likely not dismissed but unsure. I'd love to talk to you about your experience in the podiatry program if you are willing when you have more time. Trying to gather as much information as possible
No problem, PM me. But I stated my perspective. I would do everything to stay in and repeat unless you have good reasons not to.

Reactions: 1 users

I hope they either let you remediate those failed courses or have you repeat the year (worst case).
These options are way better than having to re-apply again to another program.
Hope it works out for you, though :thumbup:

I failed due to 2 points first semester and 2 second semester. I suffered a concussion and my focus was severely impacted. Trying to figure this out.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using SDN mobile
Address your learning disability before anything else at this point, if it is the root of your current predicament then it will be the root of your future predicament if left untouched. You must have it under control before even thinking about applying for any other professional program.

Reactions: 3 users
I just thought it might not be quite as competitive with the lower MCAT averages and lower GPAs. .
Yes, overall it is easier to get in. Does that mean you will finish? In your current state, no.

Are there any podiatry schools with PBL curriculms? I was required to attend classes and didn't do as well. The small groups are much better for me.
PBL are a waste of time. Majority of exams are based strictly off of powerpoint lectures just like anything else. And you are correct, it is better to skip class and study at 1.5-2x speed, and spend your free time doing things you love then sitting in class and zoning out.

A top student will do well no matter what school you put them in.
Prospective students come in with this misconceived notion that higher board scores/residency placements are entirely the responsibility of the school.
You will realize it is dependent on the student and how hard they work.

There are 4.0 students who fail boards 1st time, and students in the bottom 30th percentile who pass their first time .
There are top 5 percentile students who have no idea wtf they are doing in clinic, and low GPA students who excel in clinic and the O.R.

Yes, there are differences in location, opportunities offered, faculty, and level of support among all the schools.

But you need to get this notion out of your head that "If I pick a school with good numbers, this means I am guaranteed success."

You need to get off of your DPM high and let it rest for 1-2 months. If after waiting for that long, you STILL believe DPM is the way to go, then apply and I won't fault you for it.

This is AFTER you've figured out all of the other things you've got going on.

You are repeating every single point misguided students usually come in with.
Regarding surgery- yes you are trained in it and licensed. However level of surgical training, and opportunities to practice to your full scope of training will vary immensely pending where you are employed after finishing residency.

Being trained to do TARs and Charcot recons, having the numbers to back them up, does NOT mean you will have the same volume or opportunities to do them after you finish residency.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, overall it is easier to get in. Does that mean you will finish? In your current state, no.

PBL are a waste of time. Majority of exams are based strictly off of powerpoint lectures just like anything else. And you are correct, it is better to skip class and study at 1.5-2x speed, and spend your free time doing things you love then sitting in class and zoning out.

A top student will do well no matter what school you put them in.
Prospective students come in with this misconceived notion that higher board scores/residency placements are entirely the responsibility of the school.
You will realize it is dependent on the student and how hard they work.

There are 4.0 students who fail boards 1st time, and students in the bottom 30th percentile who pass their first time .
There are top 5 percentile students who have no idea wtf they are doing in clinic, and low GPA students who excel in clinic and the O.R.

Yes, there are differences in location, opportunities offered, faculty, and level of support among all the schools.

But you need to get this notion out of your head that "If I pick a school with good numbers, this means I am guaranteed success."

You need to get off of your DPM high and let it rest for 1-2 months. If after waiting for that long, you STILL believe DPM is the way to go, then apply and I won't fault you for it.

This is AFTER you've figured out all of the other things you've got going on.

You are repeating every single point misguided students usually come in with.
Regarding surgery- yes you are trained in it and licensed. However level of surgical training, and opportunities to practice to your full scope of training will vary immensely pending where you are employed after finishing residency.

Being trained to do TARs and Charcot recons, having the numbers to back them up, does NOT mean you will have the same volume or opportunities to do them after you finish residency.
I definitely agree with you. Others were trying to get me to be open-minded and think of other careers.

I wish there was a way to reduce my debt tho. Being 300,000 to 400,000 in debt scares me

I would recommend doing everything you can to get through your DO program. If you still have questions about podiatry school you can pm me.

I'm not sold on NP but people in my family want me to consider. I'd love to be a DO though.

Can you take a LOA to address the learning disorder and come back to your DO program? A 3.97 in undergrad makes me believe you could make it through your program once you’re ready.

Can you take a LOA to address the learning disorder and come back to your DO program? A 3.97 in undergrad makes me believe you could make it through your program once you’re ready.
The problem is in undergrad I studied all the time. I may not have needed to but wanted to get a 4.0.

I cannot take an LOA rn. I"m waiting for a decision from the committee.

I suffered a concussion and my focus was severely impacted.

I have immense sympathy for those affected by physical health conditions. Nothing is worse than being competent, but having an unexpected health condition influence performance. Especially chronic pain. Dear lord, chronic physical pain is the worst.

That being said, podiatric medical school won't be any easier than allopathic medical school or osteopathic medical school.

I agree with what Robin-Jay said about podiatric medical school not being any easier than allopathic or osteopathic medical school. The curriculum of podiatric medical school is very much the same with the first two years being heavily didactic and the last two years being clinical rotations and externships. You would still have to learn your anatomy dissections, basic sciences, clinical skills, pathologies, etc. In addition, you would also have additional coursework specifically related to the field of podiatry.

At the end of the day, I think you should do something that you truly have a passion for. If you truly have a passion for podiatry then I say go for it! You mentioned shadowing a Podiatrist, not sure if you were able to do that but I highly recommend it before switching fields. As for the curriculum, I am currently a student at WesternU and I can verify we pretty much have the same curriculum as the DOs.

Everyone will tell you follow your passion, but in order to know what you are passionate about, you got to test the water. Shadowing a podiatrist is the first step to knowing if you can see yourself in this career for the rest of your life or not. On another note, it is a requirement to have a podiatrist LOR as part of your application so either way it will help. As for the level of difficulty, it depends on which podiatry school you go to. There are some that are intermingled with DO classes - so you get the same level of education in medical school and there are some that are purely focused in just podiatry medicine which could be easier for some people. At the end of the day, it's not about the level of difficulty because medical school is medical school no matter where you go to, it matters what career you want to be in. Hope this helps.