podiatry timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheese12

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am having trouble in finding a podiatry timeline as to when i should submit my papers or when to applying to podiatry schools or other important deadlines etc. I tried finding it in the aacpmas website but i came up with nothing. Do you guys have any suggestions where i can find one?
thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Submit your paperwork anytime. It is not too late to be accepted for this year's class. As far as specific dates go, refer to the individual schools. There should be links to all of them from the AACPM site.

I know an OCPM guy who got accepted three days into the term. He did not turn in an application until that day. Bottom line, the hard part is getting through the schools, not getting in. They are so desperate that they will stoop to very low means of getting your money, I mean application. You'll have a harder time getting into a community college than a podiatry school right now!

Members don't see this ad :)
So, Eric and Fib, is this the prevailing feeling at the schools? Anyone can get in? I know from my perspective (and a lot of other DPM's) the schools would seem to accept anyone simply because they need to fill the seats.

I find it really incredible that they'll take someone 3 days into the semester. THIS would scare the living bejeezes out of me if I were a new student!

I doubt that DMU would take a new student 3 days into the term, but I am also sure that it would be easier being accepted to the DPM program rather than the DO program. I can also just about guarantee that applicants will be asked why they are choosing a DPM program. "Because it is easier to get in", is not likely to be considered favorably. If this is your reason for applying you really ought to rethink your choice.

Not everyone who applies is accepted. However, if you have decent scores it would not be difficult.

As others have mentioned though, getting in is different than staying in. You still have to pass all the courses. It is not easy.

Getting in is very different than getting out. I've said it before. The first two years are pretty comparable to any medical school. And, it's a beeyotch! I think many might be in for a surprise thinking that podiatry school itself is not terribly difficult or competitive.

Cheese12,

The situation out there is misleading. Although they haven't resorted to accepting applications from cadavers, you'll see from the many posts on this column that the state of affairs is somewhat dismal.

I applied to all 7 schools this January and received interview requests for all of them. I chose to visit 4 of them and made my decision. However, the remaining schools that I didn't schedule an interview at consistently call me even though I fired off emails telling them I am no longer interested in their program. Bottom line is that if you are ready to get in this year (i.e. finished classes, family situation ok, etc), I would recommend applying ASAFP. You can get in at any school before the August class starts. Since every class begins in August, it is to your advantage to apply immediately so that you don't have to sit out an extra year for the next go around. One caveat, I am under the impression that SCPM (Chicago) is close to capacity so you may want to call them so as to ascertain if they still have openings. You don't want to send in extra money to doubleA if you don't have to. In fact, some schools will also accept a non double AA application prior to filling out the doubleAA. Regardless, call any school; they will all bend over backwards for an aspiring and inquiring student. Before the CCPM debacle, both CCPM and SCPM had the largest classes of the 7 schools. With the merge, CCPM, as well as DMU, have smaller classes so you may be able to squeeze in there. I'm not familiar with the NYCPM, OCPM, or TCPM programs.

Let me know if I can help you out with any other info.

I'm sorry, if you choose OCPM for reasons outside of living close to the school, you are not the brightest light bulb.

NYCPM is the oldest and has the most students.

Actually, CCPM is the oldest (1913).

The New York School of Chiropody was established in 1911, with the first class enrolled in 1912. They have had various name changes, and a few changes in location, but essentially the same school. In 1972 it was changed to the current "New York College of Podiatric Medicine".

The Illinois College of Chiropody and Orthopedics was founded in the fall of 1912. An interesting note on terminology, is that the term orthopedics was used to refer to what we would consider biomechanics today. This is useful to know, especially if you enjoy reading about the history of podiatry, or any older articles.

September 1914 the California College of Chiropody opened. The named was changed to the current CCPM in 1969.

From JAPMA May 1974 - News of new colleges expected to be opening in New York (scheduled for 1975-6 academic year). This would have been a seperate school from the other New York College. This would have been at Stony Brook. Texas, plans being made pending results of a feasability study.

Over the years a number of other schools existed for various periods of time. Some of the current schools closed and later reopened. Lots of name changes, and moves. Believe it or not, this is not unique to podiatry.

How about some other fun with history?

My great grandfather was a DDS. He never graduated from high school. He completed an 8th grade education. He then took something called the Boxwell test. High enough marks on this allowed him to teach. So he spent two years teaching elementary school (think one room schoolhouse kind of thing). With this education and his two years of teaching experience he was accepted at Ohio Northern University. Two years of studies there was considered enough of an undergraduate education for him to be accepted to the DDS program at Case Western Reserve where he graduated in 1916. He was an upstanding and contributing member of his community and spend over 50 years in practice.

Think about that a bit and compare it to the education of today.

Ive seen pamphlets from CCPM stating the same thing, but the people who wrote those pamphlets are just misinformed. NYCPM is the first school of podiatric medicine or chiropody founded in 1911.

efs,

Ironically, the education which your grandfather had when he was admitted to dental school in the early 1900s is the same education that is required to be admitted to podiatry schools in the year 2002. Go figure.

-G

efs,

Ironically, the education which your grandfather had when he was admitted to dental school in the early 1900s is the same education that is required to be admitted to podiatry schools in the year 2002. Go figure.

-G

I enjoy seeing high quality responses that actually contribute something to the discussion. I really don't mind even when it disagrees with my point of view. In fact, that can be sort of refreshing. Makes me take a second look at it.

On the other hand, some responses are absolutely worthless, and contribute nothing. We might all be better off without these.

It only refects on those who make those types of responses though. It would be hard to take anything seriously from some of these people after seeing posts like these. I almost feel sorry for some of these people. Must have some personal issues that need to be worked through.

By the way, Gavin, sadly I think you might be right even though I don't think you intended it that way.

The eighth grade education, and two years of college that he had at the turn of the century is probably fairly comparable to (if not better than) a 4 year college degree with a decent GPA from most schools today. What do you think this says about the current state of public education?

Oh, and take a look at the grammar, spelling, etc. of many of the posts on this forum. These are the people who are applying to medical schools today. If this represents their education in English, what does it say about the rest of their education?

I think the public education system in this country sucks.

efs,

I whole-heartedly agree with you regarding the educational system under which we are currently operating.

You are correct in that my post wasn't meant to discover truth, but rather poke fun at the entrance requirements of a profession that is falling apart at the seams.

Podiatry is a valuable profession and ought to be recognized as such. I feel sympathetic for the students who are being ripped off by podiatry schools -- schools who offer a "professional degree". Most (if not all) prospective students view the "professional degree" as a ticket to respect, knowledge, and financial stability. Unfortunately the schools deliver none of these things to students who receive the DPM degree.

As long as I'm willing to plunk down the money, I can be accepted to podiatry school. This truly is a sad state of affairs for the educational system.

-G

Eric

If the schools aren't accepting everyone who applies, how are they filling their classes? They literally don't have enough applicants. Do you think that they're going to turn someone away because of a low GPA or low MCAT score? I doubt it. They MIGHT turn someone away with an egregious felony conviction, but probably only based on legal advice.

This isn't meant to be an irritating post. I really do think that the schools are obliged to accept everyone who meets the most minimum of requirements (and, possibly, some who don't).

I obviously cannot speak for the schools. In fact I have no idea at all what is happening at 6 of the 7. I will certainly concede that there are most likely some students being accepted who should not be. Does this happen at all of the schools? I don't think so. I do know at least one of the schools does not accept all applicants.

Next step down the road. Do all of these students pass their first year? I know that the standards are not any different for the DPMs vs. DOs at one school. I can't comment on what happens at any of the other schools.

Another year later. All of these students, from all of the schools take the same board exams. You can argue whatever you like about the quality/difficulty/cost/whatever. This is one spot where it is possible to control for quality regardless of schools.

Shift of subject. Fourth year rotations are set up differently at each school. How do you make these equal? Or even comparable? I know that the rotations arranged by different students in my class vary widely. But, each person was responsible to some degree for arranging their schedules. Different goals and desires = different experiences. I firmly believe that you can get out of it what you put into it.

I certainly will not be sitting around in a year or two complaining about my education. (By the way, 7 cases scheduled for the OR tomorrow.)

Enjoying my rotation.

Eric