Pods in hospitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Kale sannis,

1) On PADPM: I mentioned that I'm passionate about helping people and medicine and that I'm interested in podiatry; I mentioned my spending time in Boston and experiencing the environment there as one of my driving inspirations. He said I'm in a fantasy land and should rethink my career choice. End of story, waste of time.

2) You said, "I don't think any of us can really answer what's going to happen in the future with hospitals hiring pods." I don't buy it. Post #33, Natch said, "In the last ten years it seems as though most newly minted podiatrists would rather work for a multispecialty group, an orthopedic group, or a hospital." Who are these people?? They must have done some kind of research. I just want to hear what they're finding about the job outlook in hospitals, specifically. And based on their findings and experience, maybe make some projections for down the road.

3) Thanks for this: "My suggestion would be to just google "podiatry" and where you live."

Members don't see this ad.

NatCH,

Thanks for your support. As usual, your wisdom is appreciated.

phillypd,

As usual, your post is pointless. Although you may not understand it because you've accomplished nothing in this profession, when I'm insulted by someone like you, or like umass who hasn't even entered the profession yet, I feel obligated to regurgitate my credentials "again", especially when I'm basically accused of doing nothing for my profession. If I have to remind you or let someone like umass know that I didn't spend my career simply sitting in the background apathetically, I'll keep reminding you.

It's amazing that despite NatCH's post regarding showing some level of respect and professionalism, you still chose to post your comments.

And if you or anyone else read my post, the use of capital letters was not to "scream" at anyone, but was used in lieu of using bold letters to simply emphasize my point.

Now if you don't have anything constructive to add to a thread, why don't you simply find something better to do with your time?

I have decided that this is going to be the last time i respond to something like this...
First of all, lets get some thing straight..I could care less about anything you say. And i have a great respect for most people on this forum..even the "not so bright ones". The purpose of my stating something about the capital letters is b/c umass obviously don't like it and thinks people are yelling and pounding the keys. (it wasn't even toward you)
Second, I truely "acually" could not for the life of me understand why you are belittling your self and explaining your self to someone who knows little and haven't even began the application process. And to be honest, it's not disrespect but damn...at least once a week, you feel you have to reiterate your entire life story. Check your posts, you do mention it alot. But hey, if you feel obligated by all means... Now, everyone on here knows all that you did for your profession. Believe me it has been said time and time again.. But, if umass took the time to read previous posts in detail, he would probably find the answers to his questions.
Third, I really think you have a good deal of nerve to talk about respect!!! Evey time you don't agree with a post or if someone challenges something you say..you say something demeaning toward them.. and you do it all the time. Furthermore, to tell someone they need to rethink their life goal is very disrespectful...regardless of what they say..or no matter how confused they are about their dreams..you don't tell people they need to quit, rethink, or go to another profession. As a person who has been in the game as a long as you have...we would think you would have a better approach than telling people they need to do something else.
Forth, you say do something constructive with my time...HA! I find that funny from a person who obivously sits at the computer everyday..on student doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
This discussion is dynamite

padpm, natch, podmeister, jonwill, etc-- i just wanted to pop in and express my thanks, and the gratitude of my peers, for all the time and energy you take to post on these forums for us. Every week i(we) pick up new tidbits of invaluable info from you guys. The different perspectives you yall bring to the table, coming from very different environments in podiatric care delivery, really illuminates the possibilities and potential outcomes of different pathways for a DPM.

Thank you so much for contiunally taking time out of your lives to share your opinions, and help us out. Many of us really appreciate it, so please dont let the disrespectful children on this forum get under your skin and scare ya off.:(

I don't understand why you keep asking the same question. It has been said time and time again on this thread that currently very few DPMs are employed at hospitals. Think about it this way...lets say that currently about 1% of DPMs are hospital employees. In the future this may increase but is it likely to increase to 25%...mostlikely not. To echo what PADPM and others have said...if this is what you are looking for then podiatry is not the place to find it. It's harsh but from what everyone has been saying here...its the reality.

I think podiatry has too bright a future for that to be a reality. American podiatrists are the world's experts on the feet. They have made incredible strides in the recent past (just ask PADPM) such that MDs are referring patients to them in record numbers; ortho groups are hiring pods in record numbers; and it sounds like from a few people (jonwill (post 22) and natch (post 29) included) hospitals indeed are hiring them full-time. That said, i think we are probably right there, now, in a transition period with hospitals hiring more and more pods each year. And remember, i'm talking 10 yrs from now when ill be entering the field. Ive received a lot of support from pods, already, in this thread telling me to go for it, that even with things the way they are, now, it's possible. I want somebody from ground zero (that might be able to see the trend in these early stages) to tell me that based on what they've seen, in 10 yrs my chances will be even better. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Just a relatively quick response:

umass319,

You may want to check on your reading comprehension, because if you go back and read what I originally wrote, you completely misquoted me and took what I said and twisted it completely out of context.

This is exactly what I said in my post;

"I believe you may want to re-think your career choice, since at the PRESENT time, the number of hospital based podiatric practices are very limited.

And the number of hospital based podiatric practices at major prestigious institutions is even more limited. You are caught in a world of fantasy at the present time, walking around in an area of world famous medical institutions in Boston."

I said you "may want to re-think" your career choice. I chose my words carefully, because you seemed to be enamored with hospital based practice and I clearly stated that at the present time those positions were very limited. Therefore, I thought you may want to reconsider your career choice if you would be unhappy in a career that may not offer a lot of hospital based positions.

My comment about being caught in a fantasy world is not and was not a negative comment. We would all love to practice at a major teaching hospital, but the fact remains that the positions available at major teaching institutions are far a few between, and I went on to give an example in the Philadelphia area. I was simply attempting to separate reality from the glamour of the Boston medical environment you have experienced.

You obviously read into those comments and took them the wrong way, but all I was attempting to do was answer your question honestly. You seemed to be someone looking for a path that would lead to a hospital based career in a major teaching hospital in a major city. And my comments simply stated that at the present time there are very few of those positions available.

phillypd,

From the first time I've posted on here, I've had nothing but "grief" from you. And don't insult yourself by attempting to insult me that I have nothing better to do with my time than sit on computer all day on SDN.

Take a look at the times I post and you'll see that I don't sit around "all day" on the computer. But I do attempt to share my thoughts and knowledge with some of those that may appreciate it, and I know many do judging on the amount of PM's I get laughing at people like you.

Let me know if and when you ever actually get into a professional school, and if and when you ever obtain a residency and if and when you're ever successful at anything.

Until that time, I'll have the peace of mind knowing that I forgot more than you'll probably ever know.

Let me know if and when you ever actually get into a professional school, and if and when you ever obtain a residency and if and when you're ever successful at anything.

Until that time, I'll have the peace of mind knowing that I forgot more than you'll probably ever know.

Ok...... i will be the mature one....and say sure you win...and keep the insults coming...it shows the amount of RESPECT you have..don't ask for it if you can't give it. I'm not some young child on these forums right outta college that you can say what ever you feel and think i'm going to take it.
For your info, I got into multi professional schools including all the pod schools that i applied to. And in four years I will be doing a residency after doing med school...since i decided to go the MD route, orientation starts in a week.. And yes at this moment you do know more than me...you should!!! And you would be surprised what some of the students and attendings say about YOU! Not people like you...but acually about you!!! We PM each other all the time... You have less friends than you think..
But as i said...I will be the mature one to end this discussion now.

To all others reading this:
When i mentioned med school, it is in no way belittling pod school. It's what i choose as a career after long debates.. I'm just stressing the point that i am not a idiot (and i already hold a grad degree from a professional school..not a doctorate). I just refuse to let someone talk to me like i'm a fool with no future or purpose..

Yes, this thread is getting out of hand. If we're going to continue to discuss, please do so without insulting other members. A previous post (that has since been erased) finally crossed the line. This is an internet forum and people are going to disagree. Let's keep it professional.

jonwill,

I'm glad you exercised excellent judgment. I did read that post, and was about to "blast away" regarding the line that poster had finally crossed. I sincerely hope that he exercises better judgment next year in pod school if he's going to eventually be representing our profession.

Thanks again.

Ok...... i will be the mature one....and say sure you win...and keep the insults coming...it shows the amount of RESPECT you have..don't ask for it if you can't give it. I'm not some young child on these forums right outta college that you can say what ever you feel and think i'm going to take it.
For your info, I got into multi professional schools including all the pod schools that i applied to. And in four years I will be doing a residency after doing med school...since i decided to go the MD route, orientation starts in a week.. And yes at this moment you do know more than me...you should!!! And you would be surprised what some of the students and attendings say about YOU! Not people like you...but acually about you!!! We PM each other all the time... You have less friends than you think..
But as i said...I will be the mature one to end this discussion now.

To all others reading this:
When i mentioned med school, it is in no way belittling pod school. It's what i choose as a career after long debates.. I'm just stressing the point that i am not a idiot (and i already hold a grad degree from a professional school..not a doctorate). I just refuse to let someone talk to me like i'm a fool with no future or purpose..

Wow so you know the great PADPM? I didn't think you were worthy ;)

Yes, this thread is getting out of hand. If we're going to continue to discuss, please do so without insulting other members. A previous post (that has since been erased) finally crossed the line. This is an internet forum and people are going to disagree. Let's keep it professional.

Norm,

Is there something about the above post you didn't comprehend?

Just a relatively quick response:

umass319,

You may want to check on your reading comprehension, because if you go back and read what I originally wrote, you completely misquoted me and took what I said and twisted it completely out of context.

This is exactly what I said in my post;

"I believe you may want to re-think your career choice, since at the PRESENT time, the number of hospital based podiatric practices are very limited.

And the number of hospital based podiatric practices at major prestigious institutions is even more limited. You are caught in a world of fantasy at the present time, walking around in an area of world famous medical institutions in Boston."

I said you "may want to re-think" your career choice. I chose my words carefully, because you seemed to be enamored with hospital based practice and I clearly stated that at the present time those positions were very limited. Therefore, I thought you may want to reconsider your career choice if you would be unhappy in a career that may not offer a lot of hospital based positions.

My comment about being caught in a fantasy world is not and was not a negative comment. We would all love to practice at a major teaching hospital, but the fact remains that the positions available at major teaching institutions are far a few between, and I went on to give an example in the Philadelphia area. I was simply attempting to separate reality from the glamour of the Boston medical environment you have experienced.

You obviously read into those comments and took them the wrong way, but all I was attempting to do was answer your question honestly. You seemed to be someone looking for a path that would lead to a hospital based career in a major teaching hospital in a major city. And my comments simply stated that at the present time there are very few of those positions available.

This is embarassing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there may be a misunderstanding. There IS a big demand in many hospitals for DPM's. As PADPM stated, I also know of instances where DPM's are employed by hospitals but this is not the rule. However, DPM's are constantly consulted by hospitals. In other words, the DPM's have their own groups/practices but their offices are called by other Drs working in hospitals with consults. So they do hold hospital privileges and surgical privileges and do work within the hospitals. However, they are not employed by the hospitals. I'm currently in a huge hospital system where pods are consulted daily. Many podiatrists are on staff and take floor/ER call. But again, they are not employed by the hospital.

In my job search I have talked with many hospitals where this is the case. While many pods encorporate hospitals and ER's into their practice, they are not employed by them.
:thumbup:

My thoughts exactly^^^

Most DPMs are not FTEs of a hospital, but a very high % of practicing DPMs have consult +/- OR privileges at one or more hospitals. Exceptions include maybe some hospital FTE residency directors or heads of the hospital's pod surg department or limb salvage team. Those DPMs might have entirely hospital owned/operated clinics, but even those DPMs are still are likely to have performance incentives based on number of residents they train, amount they bill/collect, consults seen, etc.

There are a lot of practice options out there... academics, private prac (solo/group, pod/multi/ortho, partner/associate), hybrid (some private prac + some multi/ortho or wound care clinic), hired gun for facilities/teams/products industry, etc etc etc.

:thumbup:

My thoughts exactly^^^

Most DPMs are not FTEs of a hospital, but a very high % of practicing DPMs have consult +/- OR privileges at one or more hospitals. Exceptions include maybe some hospital FTE residency directors or heads of the hospital's pod surg department or limb salvage team. Those DPMs might have entirely hospital owned/operated clinics, but even those DPMs are still are likely to have performance incentives based on number of residents they train, amount they bill/collect, consults seen, etc.

There are a lot of practice options out there... academics, private prac (solo/group, pod/multi/ortho, partner/associate), hybrid (some private prac + some multi/ortho or wound care clinic), hired gun for facilities/teams/products industry, etc etc etc.

Feli,

See post #55, please, and check out the posts i cite. i'd appreciate your insight. Thanks.

In regards to the orthopaedic community I totally agree with what you've said Natch. My thoughts about some ortho groups wanting only fellowship trained foot and ankle surgeons is this, they only want to work with other orthopods. Hand surgeons, and spine surgeons only take call for their related anatomic traumas. Why should foot and ankle trauma be any different? Do you smell the politics? Umass, remember it's easy to hire "record" numbers when these groups wouldn't hire DPM's a decade ago. Work hard, get to know the right people, and things will fall in place. Eventually, you will get to do exactly what you want to after you've made a name for yourself.

After re-reading both PADPM's post and your post...he does have a point. You're description of the boston/mass. hospitals seemed very whimsical. He is just trying to steer you in the correct direction. Just because it is not what you want to hear doesn't make it negative. It would be a terrible mistake to completely discount his input.

Anyways, I am curious to hear your asnwers to the questions I posted in post 57.

Since you don't see the difference between a podiatrist and an internist, i'm not surprised when you don't see the intent in PADPM's syntax. When im a doctor and a leader in my field, regardless of how whimsical somebody's dreams sound to me, you won't hear me tell them they're in a fantasy land.

I'll be a professional basketball player.

It's simply not my life goal to work in a VA hospital.

First off I don't appreciate your first sentence...just last week you didn't even understand that pods practice allopathic medicine and instead felt that they practice something not allopathic or osteopathic. So you shouldn't be one to talk about understanding different specialties.

From your posts your life goal is to work at a large hospital in the boston area...not to be a podiatrists. And what's wrong with a VA hospital? Please elaborate your reasons for wanting to work at a large hospital.

Lots of people have given their input and have said that an ever increasing majority of podiatrists do some sort of work at hospitals but are ultimately private practice. You won't even entertain this idea.

I am not trying to be "negative"...I am trying to be realistic. It would be a shame if you went into podiatry and 10 yrs from now...because of various circumstances...you do not land your hospital position. I will again ask you this question...What would you do if you don't achieve your dream via the podiatry route?

Good point. it's not that i didn't understand, i just didn't know. i'm new to podiatry. sorry if that first sentence was a little pointed.

I will be a professional basketball player!! No, look, just read post #55 and then read the other posts i cite.... there is GOOD reason to believe there will be increased full-time pod positions in hospitals in 10 yrs (I think; someone tell me otherwise). It's doable. maybe it won't be easy, but it's no reason to cross podiatry off the list, especially considering the other factors that make podiatry a great idea right now.

DPMhopeful, man you're persistent. I'll try my best to answer your questions.

1. I simply don't believe in 10 yrs the stats will be that against me.

2. Right now I'm interested in podiatry. The thought of being an expert on the foot appeals to me. It turns out I'm also interested in working in a hospital. I see no logical reason why a foot expert shouldn't be in demand in a hospital, nor do i see any major problems with the current state of podiatry in hospitals. Moreover, I'm led to believe that pod positions in hospitals will increase in the future (someone tell me otherwise). All in all, I don't quite understand why it's so shocking when I say I would like to be a pod and work full-time in a hospital. I'll summarize that: not only is it logical to think it in the first place, the reality of the situation is such that it is perfectly doable, and finally, it seems that in the future (when it matters to me), it will be even more doable. What's the big deal?? What will I do if I don't make it?? I think probably every person out there, regardless of their field, deals with that question. You either settle, or you keep working at it. As a pod, I think i'd be fine helping people in a private practice or in an ortho group, but I'd always be working towards that hospital position. [i'm just trying to get a better idea for what I'll be facing in the future. Will things be easier or harder?? My guess is easier (someone tell me otherwise)]

3. You said, "If working at a large hospital is your ultimate goal then why become a podiatrist? It will be an uphill battle. You will have to work very hard. If you choose to go the path less travelled then I commend you for that but you must not discount the large possibility that you might not make it." I say, anything worth doing is going to be tough. It's a privilege to be able to work in a hospital.

Last edited:
Umass,

After carefully reading your posts, I believe I may be able to clarify some possible issues that may allow you to eventually reach your goal and/or have the best of "both worlds".

Unfortunately, I still don't believe you understood that my posts weren't attempting to criticize you, but were attempting to let you know that if your true dream is to practice full time at a major teaching hospital, the road will be tough. And although it's admirable to have lofty goals, I was also attempting to be realistic.

But now I'd like to hopefully clarify a few things that may help put some things into a better perspective, since your experience with podiatry has been limited.

As a general rule, with the exception of major teaching hospitals or VA hospitals as you had mentioned, hospitals don't usually simply "employ" doctors of any kind other than maybe ER physicians, hospitalists or sometimes anesthesiologists.

What hospitals often do, is purchase or own physician practices. It's rare for most doctors, or any doctor I know of to actually spend a full day or be in the hospital full time, other than house physicians or hospitalists. Of course there are always some exceptions, but those are far and few between.

Additionally, some specialties simply don't lend themselves to patients that require a lot of in-house hospital care. For example, a nephrologist or pulmonologist would certainly have more patients in-house than a dermatologist.

As podiatrists, we often admit complicated surgical cases to the hospital, diabetic patients, infections, wounds, trauma, injuries, etc., but the overwhelming majority of patients we all see on a daily basis are seen as an out patient and do not require hospitalization.

Therefore, unless you specialize in diabetic complications/wound care similar to diabeticfootdr, the need for a DPM to be hired as a full time hospital based employee is simply a matter of need. If the need isn't there, they won't be hiring DPM's.

On any given day, most DPM's usually don't have too many patients in-house and on any given day you have to determine how many patients the hospital actual has in house for foot related problems that need management by the "employed" DPM. Remember, many/most of the patients in-house may already be managed by the DPM that admitted them to the hospital.

The best scenario I can picture is a major teaching hospital with a strong residency program and a busy clinic. That residency program and clinic must be able to "feed" the hospital a lot of "feet" that need care and need a hired DPM to oversee the care of the residents and these patients.

Please remember, hospitals dont' simply "hire" DPM's to literally sit and wait for podiatric problems to be admitted to the hospital, nor do they hire other specialists for similar situations. As previously stated, they do have hospital owned practices with different specialties, but these doctors, including the DPM's, spend a lot of time in the office just like any private practice doctor, and make rounds similar to private practice doctors.

If you go into private practice and have a special interest in wound care and complicated diabetic cases, the chance of you spending a lot of time in the hospital is greater.

Whether or not there are more opportunities for DPM's in hospitals in the future is not that relevant, because you'll have to make your decision prior to that time. However, if that happens, it's great. If it doesn't happen, you can still fulfill your goal of helping patients and you can still provide care in the hospital for those patients you need to admit.

Hopefully, with my explanation above you'll have a better understanding of why many docs, not just DPM's aren't simply hired by hospitals, but may work in practices owned by the hospital.

Umass,

After carefully reading your posts, I believe I may be able to clarify some possible issues that may allow you to eventually reach your goal and/or have the best of "both worlds".

Unfortunately, I still don't believe you understood that my posts weren't attempting to criticize you, but were attempting to let you know that if your true dream is to practice full time at a major teaching hospital, the road will be tough. And although it's admirable to have lofty goals, I was also attempting to be realistic.

But now I'd like to hopefully clarify a few things that may help put some things into a better perspective, since your experience with podiatry has been limited.

As a general rule, with the exception of major teaching hospitals or VA hospitals as you had mentioned, hospitals don't usually simply "employ" doctors of any kind other than maybe ER physicians, hospitalists or sometimes anesthesiologists.

What hospitals often do, is purchase or own physician practices. It's rare for most doctors, or any doctor I know of to actually spend a full day or be in the hospital full time, other than house physicians or hospitalists. Of course there are always some exceptions, but those are far and few between.

Additionally, some specialties simply don't lend themselves to patients that require a lot of in-house hospital care. For example, a nephrologist or pulmonologist would certainly have more patients in-house than a dermatologist.

As podiatrists, we often admit complicated surgical cases to the hospital, diabetic patients, infections, wounds, trauma, injuries, etc., but the overwhelming majority of patients we all see on a daily basis are seen as an out patient and do not require hospitalization.

Therefore, unless you specialize in diabetic complications/wound care similar to diabeticfootdr, the need for a DPM to be hired as a full time hospital based employee is simply a matter of need. If the need isn't there, they won't be hiring DPM's.

On any given day, most DPM's usually don't have too many patients in-house and on any given day you have to determine how many patients the hospital actual has in house for foot related problems that need management by the "employed" DPM. Remember, many/most of the patients in-house may already be managed by the DPM that admitted them to the hospital.

The best scenario I can picture is a major teaching hospital with a strong residency program and a busy clinic. That residency program and clinic must be able to "feed" the hospital a lot of "feet" that need care and need a hired DPM to oversee the care of the residents and these patients.

Please remember, hospitals dont' simply "hire" DPM's to literally sit and wait for podiatric problems to be admitted to the hospital, nor do they hire other specialists for similar situations. As previously stated, they do have hospital owned practices with different specialties, but these doctors, including the DPM's, spend a lot of time in the office just like any private practice doctor, and make rounds similar to private practice doctors.

If you go into private practice and have a special interest in wound care and complicated diabetic cases, the chance of you spending a lot of time in the hospital is greater.

Whether or not there are more opportunities for DPM's in hospitals in the future is not that relevant, because you'll have to make your decision prior to that time. However, if that happens, it's great. If it doesn't happen, you can still fulfill your goal of helping patients and you can still provide care in the hospital for those patients you need to admit.

Hopefully, with my explanation above you'll have a better understanding of why many docs, not just DPM's aren't simply hired by hospitals, but may work in practices owned by the hospital.

Ok, so BI deaconess has a podiatry practice/office somewhere (are these usually in the hospital complex??) and hired a DPM full-time to run it. His responsibilities are to spend time at the practice where he deals with outpatient stuff, referrals, etc., and then also spend time in the pod/orthopedic section of the hospital doing rounds and attending to the patients there that weren't admitted by the local DPM, right? And this guy gets paid around 150-180K. Jonwill told a story about how he knows of a hosp with 3 or 4 of these guys running a practice like this. Hospitals should be expected to open more of these in the future as diabetes cases rise, no? Yes or no is relevant because if yes, then I'd be more inclined to choose podiatry.

Ok, so BI deaconess has a podiatry practice/office somewhere (are these usually in the hospital complex??) and hired a DPM full-time to run it. His responsibilities are to spend time at the practice where he deals with outpatient stuff, referrals, etc., and then also spend time in the pod/orthopedic section of the hospital doing rounds and attending to the patients there that weren't admitted by the local DPM, right? And this guy gets paid around 150-180K. Jonwill told a story about how he knows of a hosp with 3 or 4 of these guys running a practice like this. Hospitals should be expected to open more of these in the future as diabetes cases rise, no? Yes or no is relevant because if yes, then I'd be more inclined to choose podiatry.

The answer is "I hope so for our profession", but I honestly don't know. I never understood why more hospitals didn't follow Beth Israel's lead and hire DPM's to run a department attached to orthopedics, etc., but it really hasn't happened.

For example, in Philadelphia, Dr. Michael Downey, who is extremely well respected (the editor of one of the volumes of McGlammary's Textbook of Foot & ANkle Surgery) and former chairman of the department of surgery at the Temple School, left the school and took his practice over to Presbryterian Hospital, part of the University of Pennsylvania. However, his practice is a private practice, and he is not employed by the hospital. As a matter of fact, U of P had a foot/ankle orthpod (who died unexpectedly) who had a very unfriendly relationship with the Presby 4 year podiatric residency program.

Dr. Steve Boc also was chairman of the surgery dept at the school and opened a very busy practice at Hahnemann University Hospital in Philly, which has a medical school/major teaching hospital. Once again, he is a private practice and a 3 year residency program, but there is not employed by the hospital. And with all of Philly's major teaching hospitals, rivaling Boston, I'm personally not aware of one hospital that employs a podiatric practice, though I may be wrong.

Once again, although I'd like to "think" a hospital would see clearly and follow Beth Israel's model, I guess many hospitals feel that they will still make the $$$$$ if the attending DPM"s simply admit patients to their hospitals and make rounds, perform surgery, etc., as attending physicians. This way the hospital still makes the money on the patients without having to "employ" the DPM's.

Additionally, some hospitals do have wound care centers where they have DPM's working in the wound care centers (the DPM bills individually). This is a great "feeder" system for the hospital.

So, the bottom line is that I agree that hospitals should hire DPM's as per Beth Israel, but if they can still obtain the business without having to employ the doctors, I guess that's why many hospitals don't.

I really don't know what's going to happen in the future, so it's a roll of the dice. But you can still provide quality care to your patients and you can still provide hospital care to your patients and admit your patients to the hospital whenever indicated. You just may not be guaranteed a hospital based practice.

umass, this one is for you!

This was an ad from Podiatry Management magazine looking for a hospital-based DPM at Cambridge in MA. Sounded like everything you wanted, so I saved an image of it for you. Unfortunately SDN limits image sizes to 400 pixels2, so you can't read it well.

Anyhow, there are jobs you are looking for.

Attachments

• Ad-for-DPM4.jpg
    Ad-for-DPM4.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 125
I know of a DPM who was Chief of Staff at a local hospital a couple years ago. In addition, every DPM I know of has hospital privileges.

Last edited: