Poll - Are you seriously considering doing/learning OMM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Interested in learning/practicing OMM or not?

• Want to learn/practice.

Votes: 86 68.3%
  • Just want to be a doctor, no OMM.

Votes: 26 20.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 9.5%

• Total voters

Ski2Doc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think that most ppl entering osteopathy arent DYING to be do's but once you are already going are you interested in omm?

Yes Does NOT have to be for practice, could be just wanting to learn OMM.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm actually pretty interested in it.. but I have hyperextension mobility syndrome systemically (read: double jointed everywhere), so my some of my joints dislocate pretty frequently. They usually go back by themselves, but sometimes need a little extra "push" to go back correctly. So OMM is something that really can be useful in my view.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, i'm actually pretty excited about using omm. i don't know if i'll use it in my practice, but i think it will be a neat thing to try.

I plan on learning and using OMM when my time comes. I love the Osteopathic philosophy and all that it entails. I don't even plan on applying to allopathic schools.

the osteopathic philosophy, while distinct from allo, in practice is the same.

ALL docs treat the whole person, and noone JUST treats the disease, obviously the patients own body;s immune response has s/t to do with it.

The only real diff here is omm and hence the poll.

Interesting to see that alot of ppl dont even want to learn/preactice omm.

I'm interested in learning it, but I don't happen to see much applicability in the fields of medicine I plan to pursue.

I am interested in OMM as well. I will definitely try it out on my family during breaks :) . I don't know if it's feasible to perform it in the specialty (E.M.) I'm planning to go into but will continually polish my skills outside on families and friends.

I'm just an MSI, so I can't speak for all aspects of OMM. However, if you ask me if I'd like to be able to do something besides prescribe painkillers/ muscle relaxers/OTC pain meds/etc when a patient presents with the extremely common problems of a headache or a back-ache, my answer is a definitive yes...make that a HELL YES. Regarding its usefulness for visceral problems or somato-visceral effects, I haven't begun to learn anything about that aspect yet, but for purely somatic problems (ie bones & muscle), it will definitely be nice to at least have this "tool" available to treat a patient, family member, friend, etc.

Before the inevitable happens and someone comes into this thread spouting how there is no research, you should check out this link:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=99957

It is a compilation of major OMM research articles compiled by Dr. Russo (a mod on this forum). This link is directly from the Osteopathic Medicine Journal Club thread that sits atop the Osteopathic forum.

In the end, no matter how anyone wants to spin this thread, we'll all be Doctors.....

My whole family is chiropractors so I love OMM. I still want to be a physician that practices OMM. :love:

I'll throw my opinion in the hat. I'm very interested in learning OMM, though I'm not sure to what extent I will use it in practice. I've met a couple DOs who only practice OMM and I've met some DOs who never practice it--I envision I'll be somewhere in the middle.

However, I choose to start my career allowing for the possibility that I may find it fascinating to learn and may wish to pursue it further. The beauty of the modern-day DO is that she or he has a choice.

One vote for want to learn/practice. I volunteer in an ED where osteopathic students rotate through and I've seen the EM residents use OMM. One resident told me its a matter of do you have the time and do you practice it enough to remain comfortable performing it.

FutureDocDO said:
I am interested in OMM as well. I will definitely try it out on my family during breaks :) . I don't know if it's feasible to perform it in the specialty (E.M.) I'm planning to go into but will continually polish my skills outside on families and friends.

i will probably use it on friends and family but i dont know if ill use it in my practice

Members don't see this ad :)
JKDMed said:
I can't get into a DO school even though my average numbers are higher than all of them, so I guess it doesn't matter.
You've said it yourself.. it's more than just numbers.

Ski2Doc said:

ALL docs treat the whole person, and noone JUST treats the disease, obviously the patients own body;s immune response has s/t to do with it.

Interesting to see that alot of ppl dont even want to learn/preactice omm.

When I speak about the osteopathic philosohpy, I'm mostly talking about the reason it exist. I do believe that if a persons body is in ideal alignment the body has the ability to do heal itself. Unfortunatley both disciplines of medicine have moved away from this truism, but osteopathic medicine has however maintained some of that. Allopathic medicine while they do teach the whole body approach does not make this a central theme as much, thats why Dr. Still started ostepathic medicine.

Ski2Doc said:

By your post I can see you're extremely knowledgeable about osteopathic medicine (sarcasm).

Perhaps there's a reason why there's a preponderance of these kinds of posts in the PRE-osteo forum.

OMM is actually the ONE thing about DO training that entices me most.
I've practiced traditional allopathic medicine for 5 years (FP PA) and know too well the limitations of meds. Especially for the stuff I see all the time: OA, fibromyalgia, chronic low back pain, chronic headaches...it would be nice to be able to offer something else in addition to all the traditional remedies. I also have an old neck injury (rolled my car a few years ago) and need to ingratiate myself to other people who practice OMM for the times my neck acts up ;)

primadonna22274 said:
OMM is actually the ONE thing about DO training that entices me most.
I've practiced traditional allopathic medicine for 5 years (FP PA) and know too well the limitations of meds. Especially for the stuff I see all the time: OA, fibromyalgia, chronic low back pain, chronic headaches...it would be nice to be able to offer something else in addition to all the traditional remedies. I also have an old neck injury (rolled my car a few years ago) and need to ingratiate myself to other people who practice OMM for the times my neck acts up ;)

How is it any different than meds if you have to keep going back? Unless you experience some annoying side effect ...

JKDMed said:
How is it any different than meds if you have to keep going back? Unless you experience some annoying side effect ...

I don't think the fact that someone has to frequently visit their physician for manipulations disproves it as a seperate and appropriate treatment. Many medications can worsen problems and ,ets face it most medicines only allow you to cope with a condition or pain. There are not many medicines(over counter or prescription) that actually heal. The body is much better at healing itself once placed in a more ideal condition. OMM is one way to get the body primed to heal itself. That way you are not running to the pharmacy for vicodin or 800mg of ibuprofen every month.

I still however think medication must inevitably used in many many cases. I just love the fact that there are other and sometimes better alternatives. I mean everyone doesn't even respond to the OM techniques and I am aware of this. I am realistic about wanting to be a DO.

And to the OP I would do more research on osteopathic medicine to find out if it's for you. It kinda sucks that you will be sucking up a seat from those that want to be a DO, all because you can't get in somewhere else. That's not the reason this great discipline was created. No offense to anyone trying to do that I am just speaking my mind.

JKDMed said:

OMM can treat problems that meds don't.

OMM doesn't have the harmful side effects that meds do.

OMM can be used IN CONJUNCTION with meds for a synergistic effect.

OSUdoc08 said:
OMM can treat problems that meds don't.

OMM doesn't have the harmful side effects that meds do.

OMM can be used IN CONJUNCTION with meds for a synergistic effect.

Couldn't have said it better myself, and from a fellow paramedic. :thumbup:

Shinken said:
By your post I can see you're extremely knowledgeable about osteopathic medicine (sarcasm).

Perhaps there's a reason why there's a preponderance of these kinds of posts in the PRE-osteo forum.

Is there anything i left out. I know alot about it (as much as any premed).
I have been accepted to 2 osteo schools so i am NOT bashing do's. I may be one. I just pointed out that the differences are minute.

mastamark said:
And to the OP I would do more research on osteopathic medicine to find out if it's for you. It kinda sucks that you will be sucking up a seat from those that want to be a DO, all because you can't get in somewhere else. That's not the reason this great discipline was created. No offense to anyone trying to do that I am just speaking my mind.

I have DONE the research and want to be a PHYSICIAN, osteo or allo, dont matter, i want to heal.
To learn OMM is kind of like a plus you get for the minus you will have trying to get tough residencies. Its an added perk to being a doc.

Regarding the seat, i dont think so. Most do's are there b/c they couldnt get in to allo. Not to say theres anything wrong or bad about do's.

i personally dont care about the initials and i DO NOT believe the philosophies, in practice not on paper, are actually diff. The one bid disadvantage is that if i want a top residency, and i dont know yet what i want, md is easier.

fitnessexpert said:
My whole family is chiropractors so I love OMM. I still want to be a physician that practices OMM. :love:

I come from a family of chiropractors also. I planned on becoming a DC, but after considering the limited scope of practice since DC's can't prescribe meds, I am choosing DO. I could easily get into most allopathic schools (4.0, 36), but I believe in the ability to fix many neuromuscular problems, especially backpain (after ruling out nonmechanical pathologies of course), through manipulation rather than NSAIDs and muscle relaxants. Sure you might have to go back to the doc to get manipulated again, but like someone else said, you have to keep taking medications if you want them to work also.

Certainly, I spoke with a DO this evening who said that he choose to become a DO because his numbers weren't up to par for MD schools...He's now a child psychologist at the Medical School at my university...

I was just throwing out my 2 cents on the topic of OMT...

I added my numbers just to show that I'm not someone who can't make it into an allopathic school, and that that's not the reason why I chose the DO pathway, as some people have to...

Hey,

I am a first year at a DO school. I am here b/c I couldn't get into an allo school.

However, now that I am here, I can tell you that I am getting a comprehensive medical education (biochem, anatomy....) plus OMM. The way OMM is useful is:

1) in seeing how a LIVE Human being's muscles, bones, ligaments, organs, etc. work together to maintain health. Whereas if you only learn anatomy, you are only learning structures on a DEAD person. What is actually interesting is that anatomy and OMM complement each other very well.

2) Once a week we have OMM lab. So you end up touching people every week. You have to practice outside of class, so more touching of people. So you become comfortable having your hands on another human being. This, I believe, will be an asset during rotations, residency and beyond. Whether you routinely use OMM or not, you will be comfortable touching (palpating, diagnosing etc...).

3) In regards to residency placement, I do not have the appropriate data. But from what I hear on SDN, it is easier to get a more competitive residency after an allopathic med school. But I don't believe in statistics with regards to myself. I believe in myself, my personality, my drive and believe that I can do anything I choose to.... but that is just me. Don't mean to sound cocky; just being sincer.

Yes, I plan on learning and using it well. OMM seems like it could be useful in primary care, and maybe PM&R, or sports med, which are really intriguing to me. Plus, someone's inevitably going to ask "What's a D.O?" and this is going to be one of my explanations.

"1) in seeing how a LIVE Human being's muscles, bones, ligaments, organs, etc. work together to maintain health. Whereas if you only learn anatomy, you are only learning structures on a DEAD person. What is actually interesting is that anatomy and OMM complement each other very well.

2) Once a week we have OMM lab. So you end up touching people every week. You have to practice outside of class, so more touching of people. So you become comfortable having your hands on another human being. This, I believe, will be an asset during rotations, residency and beyond. Whether you routinely use OMM or not, you will be comfortable touching (palpating, diagnosing etc...)."

Excellent post...regarding points 1 and 2...those are the aspects of OMM that many fail to see...however after experiencing OMM class coinciding with Anatomy class...I agree w/ you 100%

Ifellinapothole said:
Hey,

I am a first year at a DO school. I am here b/c I couldn't get into an allo school.

However, now that I am here, I can tell you that I am getting a comprehensive medical education (biochem, anatomy....) plus OMM. The way OMM is useful is:

1) in seeing how a LIVE Human being's muscles, bones, ligaments, organs, etc. work together to maintain health. Whereas if you only learn anatomy, you are only learning structures on a DEAD person. What is actually interesting is that anatomy and OMM complement each other very well.

2) Once a week we have OMM lab. So you end up touching people every week. You have to practice outside of class, so more touching of people. So you become comfortable having your hands on another human being. This, I believe, will be an asset during rotations, residency and beyond. Whether you routinely use OMM or not, you will be comfortable touching (palpating, diagnosing etc...).

3) In regards to residency placement, I do not have the appropriate data. But from what I hear on SDN, it is easier to get a more competitive residency after an allopathic med school. But I don't believe in statistics with regards to myself. I believe in myself, my personality, my drive and believe that I can do anything I choose to.... but that is just me. Don't mean to sound cocky; just being sincer.

Excellent, I like your eplanation. I can't wait to learn OMM.

Also, nothing wrong in believeing in your abilities. That's not cocky in any way. Good luck to you.

There are other differences in philosophy from allopathic vs. osteopathic than OMM. If you havn't noticed this yet you havn't spent much time with either. If I end up attending an osteopathic school I will learn OMM the best I can and apply it in my practice when I feel it is suitable treatment.