Poll: Did you get accepted right out of undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ny1020

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've spent way too much time reading old messages on this board, and I'm a little confused. Do schools consider coming right out of undergrad as something negative? Aren't most applicants coming right from college? I'm a few years out of college and always considered myself the minority - but with the repeated suggestions of getting research experience after school, I'm not sure anymore. Do you guys have any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the only insight I can offer is that at all the interview days I attended there were only a handful of applicants applying straight from undergrad at each (out of about 20-40 interviewees total). So, it may be true that most applicants are applying during the fall of their senior year of undergrad, but most of those who make it to the interview stage are not in that boat.

I got in right from undergrad, but I am the only one (out of 6) entering my program who did. At other schools where I interviewed, I was also in the minority. I can only recall meeting a few other people who were in undergrad still.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started another career before going back. I had a good amount of research experience, though my career only had some ties to I/O....which isn't what I applied for.

I think it makes a stronger candidate if someone takes at least a year or two away from academia to broaden their horizon. I love that many top biz school require 3-4 years...but with the time line for psych programs....that is less of an option.

-t

My interview experience was similar to KillerDiller and razzle - most of the other applicants had one to two years of full time research experience, typically after graduating from college. I'm not sure schools consider coming straight out of college to be negative, per se. They're just more likely to interview people with lots of research experience, and, due to time constraints, that's easier to get once you're out of school.

I am one of the few, the proud, the people who went straight from undergrad. It can be done, though I agree that I was in the minority at every interview, and that was a bit intimidating at times. I look a lot older than I am (damn receding hairline) so I fit in alright, but it was interesting when I was asked about it by my fellow applicants. One applicant at Duke even said "Dang, I am almost old enough to be your Dad." Ehh, it happens.

You can get in straight through if you have a clear sense of what you want to do and can sell a program on that, but that is hard for many college seniors. I have several personal ties to my research interest so I was able to very clearly say "this research is what I want to do for the rest of my life" and be honest about it. I think the time off helps you get to that point if you aren't already there. Also, it is worth noting that if prestige is uber important to you it seems especially hard to get into the top top programs straight out of undergrad. That being said, I got into my top-choice program and am very happy with my decision, though I must admit it made my senior year very very busy!

I agree with what was said here. I think most people are taking 1-2 years off these days.

I took 2 years myself, but that was by choice as this was also my first time applying. Its EXTREMELY hard to get into a top program straight out, but definitely doable at the majority of schools (though I still think harder than taking time off).

Really what it boils down to is research experience > all at most PhD programs. As an undergrad you're probably not doing more than 20 hours a week of research (most not even that much). 40 (okay more like 60) hours a week for 2 years is a huge resume booster.

Plus, for most people by the time you figure out exactly what you want to do its already time to apply. And knowing what you want to specialize in is KEY for graduate school. Taking a few years gives you a little "buffer zone" so you walk in with more experience and have had more time to figure out what your goals are.

Then again, if you're like Irish and knew from the start (God I'm jealous....) then that may not matter as much.

i'm like irish. i got really lucky getting accepted to my top program and finding a gem of a POI. however, I think I come across as more mature than my age, so it's all good. can't wait to graduate in 3 weeks!! :)

I'm going to grad school fresh outta undergrad. I got extremely lucky, and we're definitely the minority.

This should be interesting since I'm 21 and people frequently think I'm less than 16 years old. :laugh:

I applied this year straight out of undergrad. I had 3 interviews, and I definitely felt as if I was the minoirty. I was wait listed at one Ph.D. program, but was ultimately rejected from all my Ph.D. programs. I did get into Wake Forest's M.A. program for which I am happy. There are just so many applicants in the field now that it is difficult to have the credentials straight out of undergrad. Even if you do, there are so many other great applicants out there that it becomes a game of luck.

I was accepted right out of UG. I was at one interview where I was *easily *the youngest applicant, by at least 5 years. And the third youngest was probably 7 or 8 years older than me.

Also has an interview where there wasn't a person over 25.

Also accepted straight out of undergrad... The two other people interviewing with me both had Masters degrees and mountains of experience.

*scratches head*
...Still not sure why it ended up being me... :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't get in straight out of undergrad. I was the only undergrad (or one of just a few) at my interviews. The feedback I got told me to get 1-2 years of full time clinical research experience, and I'd be set. So that's what I'm doing.

It can depend on the caliber of the program (I only applied to fully funded programs that offered significant stipends), as well as the specific research interest. My specific area is really, really ridiculously competitive.

Also accepted straight out of undergrad... The two other people interviewing with me both had Masters degrees and mountains of experience.

*scratches head*
...Still not sure why it ended up being me... :luck:

Perhaps it is the large financial gift we both gave to our future institutions? Just kidding, I don't have the money to do that :). It may have been that we share a kick-ass advisor, however! I beat out a student from my advisor's undergrad alma mater as well as a few with masters degrees and lots of experience... maybe it is my good looks.... no, then I would never get into grad school :)

It is hard to say why some get in and others don't, it really is. I will have to come back to this thread when I am accepting students one day.

I applied one year out of undergrad and didn't get in. Applied a second time a year later and got in. Out of my 7 classmates 2 are straight out. It's not unheard of to come out of undergrad, but it's no longer the norm, and my feeling is that it's getting more unusual as expectations are changing. In general, it seems like people who have taken time off do better-- they are less frazzled by the work and the stress of clinical work, and they make a more seamless transition into grad school. Having been on the other side of the process (reading applications for incoming students to my program), I've found that people straight from undergrad have a difficult time competing with people who have gotten substantial post-B.A. work experience in the field. However, if someone has tons of undergrad experience, they are not discriminated against for being an undergrad (although they will be scrutinized more at interviews for signs of youth or immaturity). Anyway, to answer the OP's question, you clearly will not be in the minority.

For me, I applied to 14 schools my senior year of undergrad (just graduated 2 days ago!) and got 2 interviews and 2 offers.

I think it's very interesting how everyone is saying that the majority of people accepted have taken time off, but in my experience it's pretty much 50/50. I worked closely with many, many grad students at my undergrad institution and about half of them were straight from undergrad and other's had done master's programs or worked.

Then, I counted up the replies so far from this board and the scores are (not to make it a competeive thing but just to point it out): People accepted right out of undergrad = 7 including me, people who took time off = 7. Not that it's necessarily a representative sample, maybe us undergrads just have more free time to post on message boards! I definitely think it would have made more sense for me to take time off, get more experience, grow up a bit etc., but I just couldn't reconcile the time commitment for grad school with my overall life goals... so I'm off to grad school.

RayneeDeigh: I'm going to grad school fresh outta undergrad. I got extremely lucky, and we're definitely the minority.

This should be interesting since I'm 21 and people frequently think I'm less than 16 years old. :laugh:

I'm in the same boat! People usually peg me as anywhere from 15-19 (which is strange cuz I'm tall and kind of dress like an old lady). I've even had a few people tell me that 21 is too young to graduate from undergrad!

Wow - thanks so much for your responses! I had no idea there were so many of us that took some time away from school to work. For me, by the time that I graduated, I had no idea what I wanted to do, I just knew that I didn't want to pursue what I majored in - neuropsych. I finally figured it out a few years later and have been trying very hard to get enough experience to get into a clinical program.

Congrats again everyone who got into programs last month and those who are already kicking butt in their current program!:)

When I applied straight out of undergrad, really at the suggestion of my advisor, I was accepted into 3 top-tier clinical PhD programs. I didn't go. Something in me just wasn't 100% ready.

I then took 4 years off from undergrad: spent one year getting my MA pretty much just out of sheer boredom, one year teaching and 2 years as a full-time RA. Inbetween all of that I traveled the world, volunteered, partied, and did so many non-psychology things which really helped re-mold my interests and shape me as a person. As a result, this time around I ended up applying to different schools and getting acceptances, but this time I will actually be attending.

*scratches head*...moral of the story is that everything happens for a reason and there really is no better or best way to enter a program.

Congrats to everyone attending in the fall and for those who are not -- keep at it!

*Ella

For me, I applied to 14 schools my senior year of undergrad (just graduated 2 days ago!) and got 2 interviews and 2 offers.

I applied to about the same number of programs, got a few more interviews than that. Checked in with the programs I applied to, and at all of them, the people who were offered spots all had time off.

pnkelefant, you're getting a PM :)

I took two years off during and after undergrad before starting Grad school this fall. I did clinical work (residential counselor) during the first break and am an RA now. I don't think I would have got into the programs I did without the skills I've learned from my current position. More time to study for GREs, prepare applications and write essays also made me more competitive. I know I wasn't ready for grad school right out of undergrad, but I guess if you know what you want to do it doesn't hurt to apply.:banana: :banana: :banana:

I applied straight out of undergrad, got a few interviews but no invites. Most of the programs simply stated that I was inexperienced when compared to the other applicants. In addition, I look approximately 12 years old so I'm guessing that didn't help me out at all :laugh:

There are 3 of us coming straight after graduation out of the seven who got in. If you got a lot of research experience while in undergrad as did the three of us....then you should be fine. No matter what, I would definitely apply and let them decide, don't go in thinking you are at a disadvantage---you aren't! Goodluck! BTW, there were more people there who had been out for at least a year...but its not a cut in stone kindof thing.

I applied to 11, interviewed at 4 and was accepted at 2. I am straight out of undergrad, but I am a non-traditional (read: older) student so that could have affected my experience and skew the results of this poll a bit.:p

I did not feel that most of the applicants had been out of school a while: i thought it was about 50/50. There were a lot of people there with their MA, though and that was kind of intimidating.

BTW, Lyn: I haven't seen you post in awhile! Congrats on graduating! I still have 4 1/2 weeks (not that I'm counting) to go!

~pwb

It scares me that there'll be people in my PhD program that were born in 1985! I feel like an oldie... Lucky them, they'll be finished at such a young age compared to me! However, I probably won't be the oldest either (mid/late 20s), but still, I wish I was done before I'm 30!

It scares me that there'll be people in my PhD program that were born in 1985! I feel like an oldie... Lucky them, they'll be finished at such a young age compared to me! However, I probably won't be the oldest either (mid/late 20s), but still, I wish I was done before I'm 30!

:laugh: That's my birth year (and it's in November, no less)

I'm an '86 baby. I was born AFTER Challenger. yeah, I can expect to be the youngest in my program.

:lol:

Yeah....I know the feeling! They don't truly appreciate the amazing fashion and music of the 80's!

-t

Applied strait from Undergrad...got in at top choice...most I interviewed with had taken time off. Same story.

I don't even want to hear it! You guys are rookies! :D

I got into 2 respectable PsyD programs straight from undergrad, but I did take a semester off from school the Fall of the year I applied. I think it is quite difficult to take care of all of your application stuff while in school full time.

This makes me feel old.:hungover:

:laugh: You & me both. I typically do not consider myself "old" . . . until those at interviews started informing others of their ages. Of course, it helps that I look considerably younger than my years, so I actually had a few tell me not to feel bad if I was rejected because I was still young yet. I should wait and reapply in a few more years. Um, then I'd be over 30!!! Am I supposed to be close to retirement age before someone will take me seriously?!? Suppose I should have been prepared for it--Teachers at my child's school have asked me what I'm doing out of class when I go on-campus to pick him up. :| Oh, and then my dear spouse was oh, so very helpful in bringing up the fact that my child will be in high school by the time I finish. :eek: Now, THAT did make me feel just a wee bit old.

Although many here seem to have found that most applicants had taken a few years or more off, I ran into more "just out of undergrad" people than master's applicants or "nontraditional" applicants. Hell, I had the great pleasure to overhear one of those "young'uns" mocking some "old fogey" at one of her interviews at some other program because said individual was stressing out over what she would do if she wasn't accepted anywhere.

"She was, like, preparing, and like, schtuff before she went into her interview. I sooo don't know what her problem was." :rolleyes:

And, then same individual spent a lengthy amount of time criticizing everyone's wardrobe next because "that's sooo out-of-style now" and "I don't see why these people think they have to dress the same" and on and on and on.

Hmm, who said everyone you meet at these shindigs is pleasant? I met more than a few who were most definitely not.

Which then starts making you wonder whether you should feel badly because you really hope that unpleasant person does not get accepted into the same program as you. Or maybe that's just me. :smuggrin:

haha paramour! I only met one person I didn't like at interviews. I still keep in touch with a handful of the nice ones I met.

Talking about being on your best behavior at an interview! Encountering snarky girls just makes me lose my temper!

P.S. Paramour, no need to feel badly. You're only wishing that she didn't get into your program, not any program. Find comfort in the difference.....

Which then starts making you wonder whether you should feel badly because you really hope that unpleasant person does not get accepted into the same program as you. Or maybe that's just me. :smuggrin:

Wow, you're really benevolent for hoping the girl you described doesn't get into the same program as you. I haven't even met her and I hope she doesn't get in at all :laugh:.

I also apparently look younger than I am. I'm in my mid twenties and I keep getting asked to leave the women's 18 and over locker room at my gym. The most common question I'm asked when I meet new people is whether I've started looking at colleges yet.

Actually, I look pretty young also. I'm in my late 20's (ouch, that was hard to say) and while I was taking post-bac courses here in the city, other students would ask me what I was going to do after graduation! When I told them I had a degree and was just taking a few more classes they all looked at me like I was crazy!:laugh:

I'm jealous of all you late 20's folks that keep getting mistaken for being college kids, I have the opposite problem.

I'm 23 and routinely mistaken for 30+ or even 40. I was helping my roommate move in when I was in college and was asked if I was his dad....he's actually almost a year older than I am. I think it comes from the facial hair, I've been able to grow a full beard in about a week since I was 11.

It does have its advantages....I never got IDd for an R movie from age 12 on, and everyone at the hospital who doesn't know me calls me "Dr." and asks for medical advice until I correct them and explain that the cleaning staff is about equal in terms of their medical training:)

I've actually decided to avoid the whole actually going to graduate school thing and just stay here so I can skip straight to being a doctor.

I am an 85er...but March, so I guess I am an oldie as well :)

boo on you... August '84. If I had only graduated on time.... well, then I probably wouldn't be going to graduate school at all... no one would have wanted me without the work I did that last year...

I'm 31, 9 years out of undergrad, had a corporate career for the last decade.
I was suprised how well I did with the admissions process, since it seemed as I was applying that my co-applicants were right out of college. I received interviews at half of the schools I applied to and was accepted or waitlisted at all seven schools where I interviewed, all phds, clinical and counseling psych.

Life experience can definitely be seen as an asset during the admissions process, especially as a way to differentiate yourself during a process where it is often hard to differentiate onself from the pack. I had three professors at different schools tell me in private that they greatly appreciate the diversity of experiences that more mature (ie, kind word for older) students bring to the classroom and research settings. In my experience, the interview was really the place where I saw older/non-traditional students stand out.

Good luckl!

I've actually decided to avoid the whole actually going to graduate school thing and just stay here so I can skip straight to being a doctor.

:laugh: Good choice!

I don't mind looking younger, it'll come in handy when I'm 80 I suppose. But what I DO mind is sounding like a bubblegum-chewing preteen valley girl.

Whenever a telemarketer calls me house and I answer, they ask if my "mommy or daddy are home".

I won't even go into the crazy pedos who get a wrong number and think I'm 12.

I got accpeted to a PhD program right outta undergrad and rejected the offer. I wasn't interested in the research they wanted me to do. I had applied to work with a prof that was leaving the following year and didn't accpet students, but some other prof decided they wanted me. I really hate it when PhD programs don't clue you in as to who will be accepting students for the following year. They just want to suck up your application money by not letting you know. Well, needless to say I took the year off and will be starting my doctorate this fall.

I had three professors at different schools tell me in private that they greatly appreciate the diversity of experiences that more mature (ie, kind word for older) students bring to the classroom and research settings. In my experience, the interview was really the place where I saw older/non-traditional students stand out.

I had the same thing happen on my interviews, though I think they were also eying me up to help them with their outside consulting work (my previous career). Life experience can definitely be helpful, especially working in a professional environment.

This may sound odd, but there is a lot to be said for people who have that professional experience and have learned to navigate through political, social, and professional environments. I've pretty much built my career on that....I've never been THE number one student, THE most accomplished..etc....but I was always THE most well known and the best combination of all the necessary areas. Academia is still an intellectual beauty contest, but there is room for a mutt here or there. :laugh:

-mutt

Yeah my biggest worry is that should I be lucky enough to get an interview when I apply, I'll come across as immature compared to my competition. I'll be 22, so not that young, but I've been told I exude a certain sense of naivete- that I seem a little too innocent and idealistic for my own good. I'm just afraid they're going to say, 'come back in 4 years when your soul is as crushed and withered as Jon Sno- uh, a dying flower'.

geez. . . 32 here, but I like 22-24 year old women. :)

lol...i've only been with older guys...currently w/someone who's almost 6 years older than me :oops: my parents are 8 years apart, so it doesn't seem abnormal to me.

though I think they were also eying me up to help them with their outside consulting work (my previous career).

I have noticed that having other skills can really come in handy on interviews. More than a few programs were interested in the fact that I have worked as a network administrator and have a degree in computers. In fact, at the school I will attend, I fixed a professor's computer during the interview! No joke!

Yeah my biggest worry is that should I be lucky enough to get an interview when I apply, I'll come across as immature compared to my competition. I'll be 22, so not that young, but I've been told I exude a certain sense of naivete- that I seem a little too innocent and idealistic for my own good. I'm just afraid they're going to say, 'come back in 4 years when your soul is as crushed and withered as Jon Sno- uh, a dying flower'.

Ehh, some profs may feel that way, but what I have found is one profs trash is another prof's treasure...it all depends on what they are looking for, and I believe for most of us the perfect program (or close to it) is out there. I think I absolutely picked the best program for me, it just fits...I think you will find the same in time.

Think about it, would you want to work with someone who didn't accept that about you? I can see how some professors may feel that way, but you are interviewing them. There is one school that I applied at where I was relieved to get rejected because it meant that I didn't have to tell them I wasn't coming. It was such an awful fit!

It will work out for you, one way or another.

Haha I just choked on my french toast sticks, that ending was hilarious.

On the contrary, I think you worrying about it says that you have a little cynical shrink in you! haha. But really though, stay hopeful. It's quite likely that you'll meet a future advisor who will be looking for the kind of innocent determination that you could offer.