Poll: Pharm. school this year, or better school next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HowAnnoying

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a bit of a crisis.

Should I go to a private pharmacy school this year, which has been around for about 20 years, or should I try to get into a well ranked state school next year? I would be paying the similar tuition, since the state school would be out of state for me.

I interviewed at some nice state schools, but I was rejected from them. I have been accepted into some private schools.

I could work and live with my parents, so I'd only be losing about $40,000 in opportunity costs. I definitely think I could improve my PharmCAS application too.

I think I would like to do a residency, and this thread over in the residency forum is not very encouraging:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=710698

Maybe it won't be so bad in the future, and this is just a symptom of the bad economy, but what would you guys do?

Members don't see this ad.

How will you be losing $40,000 in opportunity costs? Do you count unearned income or what?

Seems like you don't really like the schools you got accepted to. You should be excited about your school, or at least feel comfortable. If you would feel comfortable at the school and it would end up costing you the same amount of money anyway, go to the school this year. Besides, that is one extra year of earned income after you graduate (or residency income which is better than intern pay! lol). About residencies...don't know. I don't want to start some stupid debate about what schools are better than others because I will get flamed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Soooooo you got into an established private school and you want to decline just on the off chance you can get into a state school next year? Talk about playing Russian Roulette.

Remember, you'll be going against a different base of applicants next year. You might go against a weaker group or you might go against a stronger group. What happens if you're denied from all schools next year?

You better be sure you can get in to the high ranked schools. I'm pretty sure any school that accepted you this cycle is not going to like that you turned them down just to reapply next year.

Without knowing why you got rejections, we can't know if you can actually improve your PharmCas application next year. Maybe everything's fine and the problem was the interview. Maybe you'll repeat the same mistakes next year. To me it's too high risk not to start pharmacy school this fall. Unless it's a really new school(20 years is fairly established) or other better reason, I would go.

You better be sure you can get in to the high ranked schools. I'm pretty sure any school that accepted you this cycle is not going to like that you turned them down just to reapply next year.

Without knowing why you got rejections, we can't know if you can actually improve your PharmCas application next year. Maybe everything's fine and the problem was the interview. Maybe you'll repeat the same mistakes next year. To me it's too high risk not to start pharmacy school this fall. Unless it's a really new school(20 years is fairly established) or other better reason, I would go.

I agree, well said. Accept it. God forbid you don't get in next year, you will regret the decision you made.

Yes I'm counting unearned income.

Remember, you'll be going against a different base of applicants next year. You might go against a weaker group or you might go against a stronger group. What happens if you're denied from all schools next year?

I've considered this, but I applied around January this cycle, and I definitely know that my application could be improved in a few ways. So, I feel if I shored up my application and applied much earlier, then I'd have a better chance.

Thanks for the perspective.

Soooooo you got into an established private school and you want to decline just on the off chance you can get into a state school next year? Talk about playing Russian Roulette.

Seriously... I doubt 20 years would be considered a "degree mill" or whatever the term people are using these days. lol

Just because it is private doesn't mean you won't get a quality education (example... USF is a state school opening a pharmacy college next year and NSU is a private university that's had a pharmacy school since the 70's or 80's I believe)... I'm pretty sure NSU will still be slightly (if not largely) more competitive since it is a popular and established program.

I would definitely empathize if you had said it was a newly opened school, and I would almost probably suggest to wait another year if it was not accreditted, but 20 years sounds like it is a program you should feel comfortable attending especially if it is the same price as a state school you're considering.

I think you should take the acceptance now, as stated, a school that has been around for 20 years of so, is going to give you opportunities and then it's up to you to make the most of your education and to make things happen. The way I look at it, even if you are accepted next year, you are still losing one year's worth of pay as a pharmacist (huge opportunity cost).

Run with the acceptance now.

How did you get an interview if you are mentally incapacitated?

Take it, stupid! If you're working to get into retail, it won't matter.

It's funny everybody flaming him for asking a perfectly legitimate question. While grades matter, if the only thing is different between two candidates for a residency (which he wants to do) is that one went to UCSF and one went to an unranked program, UCSF will get the spot.

I'd say if you know you're going to be able to improve your application significantly and you don't mind waiting a year, go for it. You applied late in the cycle and some of the in-state schools might accept you next with your re-applicant status and improved credentials.

The biggest thing to me, is if you're okay with waiting a year. At a stated opportunity cost of $40k, you might get to live where you want to live for 4yrs and get the education at the institute that will most benefit you in the long run. If you weren't statistically a "bad" candidate for the state schools you applied to, I think you'll get in to the state schools AND IF NOT, with a better application you should be able to get into a similarly prestigious program(that you're passing up) next year.

How did you get an interview if you are mentally incapacitated?

Take it, stupid! If you're working to get into retail, it won't matter.

Nice RC skills, let me guess that was you're best section on the PCAT? The OP said he wants to do a residency, last I checked working retail does not require a residency. He cares about school rankings - why would he care if all he wanted to do was work retail. Therefore, he probably doesn't want to jump into retail and you = stupid.

Ask for a deferment. The worst that can happen is that they say no. If you get it, you'll still have a spot if you don't get in to a school you like better. If I were young and carefree, I'd ask for a deferment anyway and go backpack in Europe for a year. Screw opportunity costs. You aren't going to look back at the end of your life and wish that you worked 41 years instead of 40 and you won't even remember where you spent the extra money.

Nice RC skills, let me guess that was you're best section on the PCAT? The OP said he wants to do a residency, last I checked working retail does not require a residency. He cares about school rankings - why would he care if all he wanted to do was work retail. Therefore, he probably doesn't want to jump into retail and you = stupid.
Is that a joke? You know everyone's RC is the worst skill to test on the PCAT, unless you were one of the few who got higher than the average.

To the OP: Sorry I didn't see the residency idea or thread.

With that in the mix... it's up to you. Best to take the opportunity you have and transfer into the other school next year and see if you can get an advancement into the P2 class.

It's funny everybody flaming him for asking a perfectly legitimate question. While grades matter, if the only thing is different between two candidates for a residency (which he wants to do) is that one went to UCSF and one went to an unranked program, UCSF will get the spot.

Simply not true! Residency has so much more to with than grades and school. You take people that are the best fit for your program. I would take a bright, hardworking, well-communicating applicant from a lesser know school than someone from UCSF with a sense of entitlement anyday. I do feel school has some pull, but very little. The OP said he plans to go to an established private pharmacy school....no like he is going to one that just sprung up this year. I think that makes a difference because students before you have already had a chance to prove themselves in the clinical arena.

Ask yourself if will you be happy at *insert name of school that you've been accepted to". Private or public school and regardless of prestige, if you are going to be absolutely miserable, just try again next year after beefing up your resume some more.