Possibility of increasing score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milliardo_L

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before starting to study(a month ago), I took the 3R and scored 10B-9P-8V=27. Two days ago, after pretty much finishing the EK books, I got 25 (8B-10P-7V) :( ... I revised it and most wrong answers were 'cause of bad judgment instead of lack of knowledge. Does anyone thinks it could be possible to raise this score, based on this info? Although I finished EK, I need to sit down and review everything and memorize the important stuff. How can one increase the test-taking skills? So far I have seen that people show a constant score in the AAMC practice tests, and very similar to the real one, did anyone actually increased? How?

Any comments will be appreciated in this dark moment...

Members don't see this ad.

"I revised it and most wrong answers were 'cause of bad judgment instead of lack of knowledge."

This is a good sign, keep on trucking.

Keep studying and take another practice test. Find a good verbal resource and do something like 3 verbal passages a day.

Hi, sorry you're stressed out- I really feel for you. My advice after taking practice tests and scoring the same on the real test- don't go back and do an intensive review. Isolate some of the areas or concepts you had trouble with- but spend most of your time taking simulated practice tests and sharpening your ability to not get flustered and use cold crisp logic. Go over your practice tests and if new concepts stick , then great. But it sounds like you have the knowledge but need practice with deducing the right from the B.S. on the test- and practice tests are the way to go. Kaplan has a book that goes through learning how to distinguish the type of passage (informative, experiment, etc) and how to read it - what to notate- what to skip and come back to later, and gives you the heads up on the types of questions- a big help- trust me on that. I would really reccomend that you buy that and read the advice- it upped by score a few points.
Good luck and let me know how it goes.

I don't have any comments...I am just writing this to let you know that you are not alone. I just took 4R today..and my score went down 3 points :(
I don't know what happened to me....I pulled up my PS one point...but I lost 1 point in the VR and 3 points in the BS section. :( And this is after a weekend of studying....when I expected to see some improvement...I also made a few stupid mistakes, poor judgement...and I also noticed I would get hung up in certain questions...and had to randomly bubble in 5 questions in the PS section because I was running out of time.
It's almost 10 pm here in Miami...so I'll call it quits for tonight...and review more this week...take another test friday or sunday (maybe I'll try an EK one)...
I'm really down right now...so I guess this makes me a hypocrite...but keep your head up...I'm gonna take a look at the subjects where I made the most mistakes...practice this entire week...and hopefully I will see a change in my score...
Again, you're not alone...don't be sad...just relax..step back and go at it again..learning from past mistakes!
Good luck!
Karina

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel for both of you. I also went down from one test to another and it really made me lose confidence. I'm stareting to think it's not that unusual but it scares the heck out of me b/c this could very well happen on the real thing. :(

Hey Milliardo- the book is called MCAT 45 by Kaplan- just do Amazon. The thing I thought was most helpful was that it gave you a strategy- how to dissect and deal with those passages.
But really - just keep taking practice tests- you'll do fine.

Keep in mind too guys/gals that I think the general consensus is that 4r is a bit harder than the other AAMC's. I can't qualify that impression personally until I take 4r this weekend, but I read that from someone on another thread.

I feel your pain.

I took 4R 2 weeks ago, just took 3R last night and my PS went down 1, my BS went down 2. :(

I can't think of many things more demoralizing. But I guess we just have to keep on going. 19 days to go, no time to freak out.

Well, 19 days to freak out.

Did I mention: :(

-asp

Groove said:
Keep in mind too guys/gals that I think the general consensus is that 4r is a bit harder than the other AAMC's. I can't qualify that impression personally until I take 4r this weekend, but I read that from someone on another thread.

You know i think you could be right. cause the curve on 4R is ridiculous compared to the other aamc tests. I did really crappy in the 4R verbal, but got a 9 (1 Q away from that illustrious 10) on 6R this past weekend. I am going to do the 4R bio and physical passages tonite, but i dont really care how i do, since im diong it just for practice in comparision to as a real practice test.

Medikit said:
"I revised it and most wrong answers were 'cause of bad judgment instead of lack of knowledge."

This is a good sign, keep on trucking.

I agree...you're on the road to doing well...I had the same problem last year, so what I did was I kept a notebook of the types of mistakes I was making. It felt a little weird at first, but it really helps because you start to see patterns in the way you think that lead you to the wrong answers. I would try to find as much practice material as possible, as this is the best way to improve your score.

Best of luck.