Possible mistakes in a LOE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squiggle2017

Finally done waiting!!! Class of 2021
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently received a LOE from my research PI and all seemed well. I had previously asked him about a friend of his who is a doctor in a very rural part of the state because I was interested in shadowing him. However, this doctor is no longer practicing, so he sent out some emails to try and find me another rural doctor to shadow, which was very nice of him to do! However, in the email, he stated that I was a graduate student applying to PA programs. I am in fact not either of those things-- I've graduated from grad school and I am applying to medical school. This didn't really bother me at first because I figured he had just used an old email from a previous student, but then I started thinking about my LOE that he wrote. I worry that he might have stated these things (grad student and PA program) in my LOE, which makes me think he wasn't a good person to ask for a letter. But I don't know for sure if he did say these things in my letter, so how should I go about handling this situation? This letter was also used as an update to my current application after I was placed on a waitlist...

Members don't see this ad.

Ask him. If your saw the email to the doctors, then you have more then enough legitimate reason to ask.

"Sorry professor, I am just be a neurotic premed but in the email you wrote..... and I was to make sure their wasnt this misinformation in my LOE"

Thank you! I will email him and ask! I needed someone to confirm that it was a good idea.